Primrose R75...... The End, for now...

EssDeeWon

scenario: sd1 lusts after a primrose 75.

incident: one becomes available at an attractive price

action: sd1 buys the primrose one and swaps good bits off other 75 onto it. other 75 is sold/scrapped as appropriate.

result: sd1 has primrose car, complete with free improvements using other 75 parts. Other 75 is sold and funds used towards belts/major service.

sd1 as happy as pig in primrose

some other poor giffer loves the other 75

scenario: sd1 lusts after a primrose 75.

incident: one becomes available at an attractive price

action: sd1 buys the primrose one and swaps good bits off other 75 onto it. other 75 is sold/scrapped as appropriate.

result: sd1 has primrose car, complete with free improvements using other 75 parts. Other 75 is sold and funds used towards belts/major service.

sd1 as happy as pig in primrose

some other poor giffer loves the other 75

In theory that is a great idea 320T, but I love the 75 so even the thought of having to sell it is slightly painful. As for breaking it, no way.

I can see me ending up with two 75's and bankrupt before 2016, that is whats going to happen, im just trying to pretend its not.

In theory that is a great idea 320T, but I love the 75 so even the thought of having to sell it is slightly painful. As for breaking it, no way.

I can see me ending up with two 75's and bankrupt before 2016, that is whats going to happen, im just trying to pretend its not.

never said break it:) just make sure tou get the use out the parts you'd already paid out for!

Buy it, if you really want one you'll regret it more if you don't. Can you swap some of the good bits over and get one good one from the two. It's probably not worthkeeping the other one if you ever fancy a change, there are loads around eg in our local freebie weekly: 2000 2.5 Club SE (whatever that is) 81k, new belts and water pump, 10 months MOT, Autoshite Racing Gold, excel cond (allegedly) £900 ono.

Some excellent replies chaps, many thanks.

I do plan to buy the primrose car before parting with my blue one, the question is money and how little I can talk the guy down. I have offered to pop round on Saturday and clean out the plenum drains for the old chap because he has never checked these in two years!! I will make an offer...

Do the plenum drains need checked on the facelifted diesels too? If so can you tell me where they are so i can have a look at the one i may be getting please?

Yup.

Open bonnet, remove the 2 plastic "grills" in either corner by the windscreen. Observe the mass of leaves and water which is soaking the ECU.

Employ a sufficient pointy stick, and jab it about in the muck until you find the hole (fnar fnar), then observe the bathtub full of water which drains out the bottom of the car.

A much better guide, is here:

Thanks, i saw there was a clip missing off the scuttle panel when i went to look at the car, need to replace that and can check at the same time. Is it true the ecu on the facelift is better sealed?

Open bonnet, remove the 2 plastic "grills" in either corner by the windscreen. Observe the mass of leaves and water which is soaking the ECU.

Employ a sufficient pointy stick, and jab it about in the muck until you find the hole (fnar fnar), then observe the bathtub full of water which drains out the bottom of the car.

Also recommended if you have a Peugeot 306, there is a terrible water trap under the scuttle panel.

Ok, been round to see the primrose connie this evening, I made an offer and the guy is going to sleep on it and ask his son and get back to me tomorrow, fingers crossed. The paintwork certainly requires some TLC and it generally needs a bloomin good spring clean. I noticed on the log book its had 3 previous keepers, the last one a Professor for 6 years, then this guy for 18 months. According to the MOT certs the 67k seems genuine, plus a few service stamps up to 45k.

Here it is parked with my Royal Blue Connie

18995532419_67f727e86b_c.jpgPrimrose Rover 75 by steve wilson, on Flickr

Looks beautiful Esdee1, I really hope you get the 75. As others have said, you might be facing parking problems but you'll find a way.

Cheers LS. I now face a sleepness night waiting to hear back from the owner tomorrow. I can increase my offer slightly to try and secure it...

If I bought the primrose 75 then the blue one would have to go, lack of space and financial reasons etc etc...As is always the way these cars only become available when your skint, don't they!? And I'm about to be made redundant...

Best of luck, hope they accept your offer.

I've never seen one in that colour before, and I have to say it looks lovely!

You'll regret not buying it if you don't and it's very low miles too. Like you said, they're rare anyway so what's the chances of finding another low miler in that colour at a later date. It'll be worth spending a bit of time and money on it to bring back to top condition.

^ mental picture of EssDeeWon pacing up and down like an anxious dad-to-be in the waiting room outside the maternity suite. I hope you have the cigar on standby and your hip-flask at the ready to wet the new baby's head.

This weekend has been abit like that, but the communication from the owner has not been great despite him saying he wants to sell the car and me making an offer.

All he has to do is call back and either;

a. Tell me my offer is too low

b. Tell me my offer is excepted

c. Tell me his changed his mind and doesn't want to sell

Unfortunately trading cars outside of Autoshite is never easy.