Primrose R75...... The End, for now...

EssDeeWon

So, it was 5 years ago last week since I picked this up, been meaning to do another annual update but I have been busy moving home over the last week and yet again the Rover proved loyal as ever  (despite suffering with a water leak) lugging the load over several trips with all my crap.  Anyway...  

Only real issue is its been losing water, its dripping out onto the ground and got steadily worse. The car is going into British Legends on Monday so they can sort that out and do anything else they see fit.  It has now done 77k, so that's only 10k in 5 years.   The MOT is due next month, just praying the rear arms last another test or its going to be beans on toast next month.

Will upload some recent pics after a threw a bucket of water over it, not much change just slightly more faded and ever in need of a respray... one day.

That’s got to be the best colour I’ve ever seen on a 75.

I really don’t know why manufacturers just give us horrible grey and silver motors these days as surely that really makes a nice looking car stand out.

Its like the R50 they made one of the Y reg pre production cars in baby blue and it looks fantastic yet never put it in production.

Good to see it still being loved. As long as you don't have any noticeable negative camber you should be fine. Looks like a car well worth spending on though.

Rear arms are freely available but by they are around £300 a pair and about £250 to fit as it's a bastard of a job. Being a mild steel pressing they eventually rot out and collapse. 

Thankfully mine had both upper and lower arms replaced with new ones from DMGRS just over a year ago together with new springs and was the main reason I bought the car.

Lovely colour. As has been said, respect to rover for having an original and interesting colour palette; everything is so monochrome on executive/ aspirational cars normally. I wonder who “drove” that and what may have been considered but not sanctioned, never mind all the monogram options that came later. I’d love a lunar grey 75 (with a nod to the early 70s P6 playbook)

13 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

I'm going to say....... thermostat housing. 

5 years, wow. 

Possibly Ken... doesn't that leak into the 'V' though? or I guess if its bad enough it would make its way out the V and onto the road? I remember you doing a therm housing on your 2.0 V6 you had a few years back.

17 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Good to see it still being loved. As long as you don't have any noticeable negative camber you should be fine. Looks like a car well worth spending on though.

Rear arms are freely available but by they are around £300 a pair and about £250 to fit as it's a bastard of a job. Being a mild steel pressing they eventually rot out and collapse. 

Thankfully mine had both upper and lower arms replaced with new ones from DMGRS just over a year ago together with new springs and was the main reason I bought the car.

Yes, its a north of £500 quid job. No camber from what I can see and the rear NS looked ok when it was jacked up last week having a new tyre.    Sills are crusty though, some creaks and cracks as the trolly jack penetrated the sill.  The jacking point has already been welded once. 

11 hours ago, Parky said:

Forgot to mention I saw you cruising through Southend about a month ago, Primrose looked good!

Nice one, difficult to miss isn't it.  I remember seeing the previous owner out and about before I bought it and remember how much it stands out among the greys, blacks and silvers.  Sorry I didn't see you mate, hope you're well.

5 minutes ago, EssDeeWon said:

Possibly Ken... doesn't that leak into the 'V' though? or I guess if its bad enough it would make its way out the V and onto the road? I remember you doing a therm housing on your 2.0 V6 you had a few years back.

Yes, its a north of £500 quid job. No camber from what I can see and the rear NS looked ok when it was jacked up last week having a new tyre.    Sills are crusty though, some creaks and cracks as the trolly jack penetrated the sill.  The jacking point has already been welded once. 

Nice one, difficult to miss isn't it.  I remember seeing the previous owner out and about before I bought it and remember how much it stands out among the greys, blacks and silvers.  Sorry I didn't see you mate, hope you're well.

My sills are just starting to go slightly bubbly at the back although I reckon it will see a few MOTs yet.

However, while they are available, I bought these Tom Hobbs repair panels for the future. Not that cheap but they look excellent and as your car is a keeper it's probably worth doing well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283956201636

On 7/22/2020 at 10:38 PM, purplebargeken said:

I'm going to say....... thermostat housing. 

5 years, wow. 

Turns out its the metal pipework behind the rad that is corroded and is leaking.   Of course the part is NLA so the garage are shopping around trying to find somewhere that could make up a stainless steel aftermarket part.  Apparently there are places but it won't be cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I may as well update this thread as there has been a few developments lately...  Firstly maintenance -   The water leak was found and cured, it was the metal cooling rail behind the rad, these original mild steel pipes are NLA so they were replaced with stainless steel pipes from Rimmers,  £289.     A new rear NS tyre £50 as the old one was looking a little perished, the other three are as new. Not sure how that one got left.   The car passed the MOT yesterday with no advisories, the tester was ultra picky and mentioned a perished and slightly cracked steering rack gaiter so both will be replaced on Monday. Shouldn't be more then £100 all in.

Secondly the original owner came across this old photo from 15 years ago and kindly sent it to me. Not great quality as its a scan of a photograph but still great to see.

105-0582_IMG.JPG

• 6 months later...

So after 6 years of faithful service I think this car has seen the tarmac for the last time in a while.   I now have another car so this has been stood since christmas on a friends driveway.  I fired it up yesterday (first time) and purred but then left loads of coolant on the road outside my flat so back off the road for now and awaiting a flat bed down to my garage in Kent after lockdown.   The bonnet came open after pulling off yesterday too, the cable is duff,  The sills are rusty and jacking points have gone again. It was cracking and creaking somewhat when I recently had a new rear tyre on it.     I need to have a look at how and why it spat coolant out yesterday and dry the boot out then stash it away. 

Not sure what to do with it long term, I do hope it doesn't get dragged back out in 2050 in series 30 of Bangers and Cash.  

• EssDeeWon changed the title to Primrose R75...... The End, for now...
8 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Ugh. Absolutely gutted to read this. I remember all the “negotiating” that happened in order for you to bag it way back when. 

I love it very much. I hope your love for it returns, but sometimes things change and you have to move on. 

BORNITE

BUY THE ROEWE 

HTH