Bolly Dolly - Now boringly reliable - snoooooooooze

Guest Breadvan72

Hi BV

You kept hold of the SD then I see.  :-)

Do you still work by the Law Courts?  My primrose 75 was originally owned by a Barrister down there, lovely lady called Diana Brahams. She wrote to me this year to confirm ownership of W767COA.  I used to see it driving around Lincolns Inn.

Hi, just read the whole thread. Lovely car in the best colour (except perhaps Magenta).

I see a couple of mentions of the heater not being too good. That's not normal. I have a 1300TC, the front wheel drive one and the heater is brilliant. I know it's not the same engine but it is the same heater. Your thermostat may be stuck open. Just a thought.

Guest Breadvan72

The heater has been working recently, except the other day, when it blew cool. It was working fine this morning. The thermostat was changed not long ago and seems to be working.

Do you have that heater cut off valve in the Sprint? Looks like a choke knob to the left of the steering column. I disconnected mine as it seems to serve no purpose. It stops hot water reaching the heater but if you want cold air you just set the heater to cold. Perhaps this could be playing up?

Do you have that heater cut off valve in the Sprint? Looks like a choke knob to the left of the steering column. I disconnected mine as it seems to serve no purpose. It stops hot water reaching the heater but if you want cold air you just set the heater to cold. Perhaps this could be playing up?

Good thought. I had an equally useless valve doing the same on a MG.

Guest Breadvan72

I will go out and have a look for such a gadget in a bit.  I would do it now, but it's nadgers outside, and I am supposed to be working.

Guest Breadvan72

Has anyone used an infra red thermometer to check the actual temperature of coolant?  Any good?    The temp needle tends to be at about the quarter point on the gauge at present, although it gets to the mid point in a traffic jam.    I can set the temperature at which the Kenlowe fan kicks in using a dial under the bonnet.

I wonder if you can get a winter stat for those? They open a bit hotter so make the heater a lot better.

I upgraded the one in my MG from 78 degrees to 82 degrees & it doubled the heat in the car. I left it in all year too, the car run better slightly warmer.

Has anyone used an infra red thermometer to check the actual temperature of coolant?  Any good?    The temp needle tends to be at about the quarter point on the gauge at present, although it gets to the mid point in a traffic jam.    I can set the temperature at which the Kenlowe fan kicks in using a dial under the bonnet.

I tried the Silverline one I have on your old Sovereign because the cars temp gauge reads high but no signs of over heating, it said something like 74º C so I tried it on a boiling kettle and that was 82º C!

I have just ordered a Sealey VS905 duel lazer thermometer guaranteed accurate within 1.5º C, which is due for delivery by the 5th Jan. When it arrives I will be pleased to point it at your Dolly. I do feel we may have to get closer together than the usual 30 miles that separate us to make it work!

Guest Breadvan72

Here it is chortling away on half choke while warming up.  I should put the covers on the Dolly and the Rover, but both are wet and dirty (oooh err).

post-5528-0-01917200-1483105148_thumb.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

I just ran the car up to the mid point on the temp gauge.   All radiator hoses, and the radiator itself, were warm at this point.  I set the Kenlowe to 100, and it came on.  It therefore seems that the cooling system is working OK, but the gauge may be under reading a bit.   The heater blew warm when I switched it on.

Six C, will you be at home next Wednesday afternoon?   The Dolly is having its new tyres fitted on Wednesday morning, and I might fancy trying them out.  I also have an XJ6 Haynes BOL if you want one.

Guest Breadvan72

I suppose that the battery cop out that occurred last week should have given me a clue that the battery was on its way out.  Yesterday I had to drive back from the Stony Stratford thang with the IGN warning light flickering all the time, the voltmeter stuck at 11, and almost dead wipers, lights and so on.   Heavy rain, car misting up, but I could only use the wipers intermittently, switched off the fan, and didn't dare go above sidelights except for one bit of dual carriageway where I put the headlights on, because Scayree.  The engine ran like a bastard, having been smoooth on the way there.

I was AFEARED that I had a duff alternator or summat, but after a trip to Cowley in me Jaaaaaaaag I can confirm that the Dolly is ALIEV again, thanks to:-

post-5528-0-65880700-1483364852_thumb.jpg

The old battery has been on charge for 18 hours and still isn't fully charged, so confirmed duff.

I tried the Silverline one I have on your old Sovereign because the cars temp gauge reads high but no signs of over heating, it said something like 74º C so I tried it on a boiling kettle and that was 82º C!

I have just ordered a Sealey VS905 duel lazer thermometer guaranteed accurate within 1.5º C, which is due for delivery by the 5th Jan. When it arrives I will be pleased to point it at your Dolly. I do feel we may have to get closer together than the usual 30 miles that separate us to make it work!

I sometimes use laser thermometers at work and they are very dependant on what you point at, generally the duller the better. You can't get a sensible reading from a clean aluminium auto box casing but a rusty exhaust would be fine. Have a play with it on a few things before accepting the readings. I think the laser is just for aiming on ours, the temp bit is infrared or whatever.

Maybe it's just an air pocket trapped in there? Try bleeding the system by idling it for 10 minutes or so with the radiator cap off, and the heater on full. Then run it up to 3K and hold it there for 30 seconds...repeat this until the coolant rises and then settles back down. Top it off with Prestone's finest, and Bob's yer uncle.

I have just received my new temp thermometer, this one reads 100.4º C on the side of the beige plastic kettle where the old one read 82º C.

Yes the Laser is just to aim and this one has two that cross, so line up the spots to optimise length from the test item.

Now I am looking for a test victim to play with the new toy!

Guest Breadvan72

I spoke too soon.  It looks like my alternator is foutu.  Hey ho, off to Rimmers werbsite for shoppage.

I will check on the heater once the lectrics are fixed,