My Beetle build. Polish it everywhere.

Crusty Sills

• 5 weeks later...

Went for a drive in the Beetle with 1 of the junior Crusty's this afternoon.

After driving around, heading home to collect forgotten wallet and heading to the supermarket I could smell something hot and not good.

Pulled over in to a lay-by and as I stopped, immediately worked out the problem.

Handbrake had been left on for the last mile or so, noticed this when I went to put it on.

Got out checked and yep drums were hot as fuck and nearside was smoking a bit.

Satisfied this was the issue thought driving to get some air on it to cool it down was the best option.

Kind of like driving faster out of a speed wobble with a caravan!!!

All was well for a couple of hundred metres and then had a rumble from nearside rear. Thinking puncture or a fried wheel bearing I pulled over no puncture and at a glance nothing obvious.

Spun the car round and headed home then the rear lurched down so stopped straight away.

Got out and problem became a bit clearer

post-17510-0-52030800-1503603255_thumb.jpg

post-17510-0-55540900-1503603393_thumb.jpg

post-17510-0-93381300-1503603541_thumb.jpg

At first glance thought it was a broken axle or the hub had come adrift due to the heat, no.

I had lost all 4 wheel bolts!!!!

2 sat beside the wheel and the others are somewhere for Time Team to discover in 300 years.

I've been scratching my head and all I can come up with is the heat from the binding hand brake had loosened the bolts. Is this possible?

Wheel has not been off for months and were put on FT when I put them back on.

Mrs Sills came out and picked me up luckily only a few miles from home.

Got the bolts I had spare, got back to car that know one had arse ended, wheel out and a good look round. Wing survived , suspension good, a bit of paint missing underneath but that was it.

With the wheel back on and all other bolts checked (drivers side were a bit loose) drove gingerly up the road and back then hauled off to get the shopping as intended.

Amazingly, car drove fine. So treated to some shell v power.

The thing that got me more was standing beside an obviously crippled car, with an 11 yo girl on a relatively busy road and not 1 fucker thought to stop and even ask if I needed a hand.

Did suggest to junior crusty she lay on the ground and I pretend to give CPR that would stop someone, but we agreed it was a bit dramatic!!!!

The thing that got me more was standing beside an obviously crippled car, with an 11 yo girl on a relatively busy road and not 1 fucker thought to stop and even ask if I needed a hand.

Did suggest to junior crusty she lay on the ground and I pretend to give CPR that would stop someone, but we agreed it was a bit dramatic!!!!

My wife broke down on the A1 just over 18 years ago and was passed by a marked police car as she was walking to get help and they didn't stop or give a shit.

I know it was just over 18 years ago as she was 8 months pregnant at the time. She wasn't best pleased with the car or the police at the time.

The A1 at this point is a dual carriageway and passing an overheating car and then seeing a woman walking waddling along doesn't make you Einstein to figure out what is happening.

Holding a bit of a grudge about it? No* not me!

As a noob - I missed this build the first time around..... excellent skills and the car looks amazing.

Glad the wheel 'loss' wasn't high speed or things could've been extremely nasty..... I was in with my uncle when I was 9 when his Datsun 120Y lost a wheel....... we slid on the roof for what seemed like forever!

I could gladly live in that interior - just pass food through the windows now n then

• 8 months later...

Another thrilling installment in this occasional series.

Last week I got a DA polisher, I've been procrastinating like a mother fucker about getting 1 for about 18 months, I lent my last 1 to a mate who then seemed to disappear of the face of the earth, presumably polishing the fuck out of anything and becoming a millionaire from my equipment!

Anyway, the Beetle has needed the last few panels to be flat and polished since painting several years ago the bonnet being the worst with lots of inclusions and a few paint runs.

I degreased the panel and got a big bucket of soapy water, the soap helps keep the paper lubricated or it grabs and can make deep scratches.

There is no magic to wet sanding although a lot of people seem scared, the answer is lots of water, keep paper clean and work gently with some patience.

I started off with 1500 wetordry using a gentle linear back and forward motion, don't go in circles it's harder to polish out, any larger marks I hit with some 1200 then back over it with 1500.

I used a thin block over the larger part of the panel and fingers in any recess.

I know the is plenty of paint on my car to cut back so can be a bit more aggressive on it, the last thing you need is to break through the top coat to primer!!

post-17510-0-03345300-1525696874_thumb.jpg

After removing the orange peel effect, runs and nibs from the panel all the shine is gone too, but it's ohh so smooth.

post-17510-0-49191700-1525697481_thumb.jpg

After 1500 is done I then use a Mirka Abralon 4000 grit pad, these are great for fine sanding, I prefer Mirka products over 3M.

post-17510-0-14174800-1525697999_thumb.jpg

With the panel all nice and smooth it's ready for polishing. But I need a beer and to let it cool down first!!

post-17510-0-37963000-1525701107_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

So as seen in for sale thread. I have sold my Beetle to pay for a stupid thing called a house 🤷. 

Put it up for Sale on Volkzone and sold to a young lad from Nottingham. 

Obvs being AS @worldofceriis doing the necessary of collection and delivery in what amounts to a shit tonne of mileage for him. 

As for Crusty's Crap Car  Capers who knows! I have half an eye on something that may be cheap. 

I will miss this car. It really means a lot to me.

But Danny who has bought it is as enthusiastic as fuck and that makes me smile.