My Beetle build. Polish it everywhere.

Crusty Sills

• 1 year later...

After a year off of the car due to various issues (home and financial) I've got back on with sorting the little issues I had on the car.

Last week I finally got the starting problem I had sorted.

2 things dodgy ignition switch and a battery that although showing 12 volts it was only throwing out 7 when turning over. New one ordered on Fri and here by Saturday. Couldn't be bothered with trying to fit a new key ignition switch so have fitted a start button. Doing this has kicked my arse into gear and after a long while doing nothing and generally being in a grump I'm back on it and have booked an MOT for next Wednesday.

After a year off of the car due to various issues (home and financial) I've got back on with sorting the little issues I had on the car.

Last week I finally got the starting problem I had sorted.

2 things dodgy ignition switch and a battery that although showing 12 volts it was only throwing out 7 when turning over. New one ordered on Fri and here by Saturday. Couldn't be bothered with trying to fit a new key ignition switch so have fitted a start button. Doing this has kicked my arse into gear and after a long while doing nothing and generally being in a grump I'm back on it and have booked an MOT for next Wednesday.

Well?

I seem to have missed this thread until now. Great to see you've stuck with the bug despite various car and life challenges along the way. Colour and interior looks lovely - cap doffed for getting the dash back to Deutsch spec, along with the bodywork.

Interesting to see the MOT news... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

MOT passed and car being used on sunny days, typically on the weds of the MOT it absolutely pissed down! The car had never driven in rain and I didn't like it getting wet! It's not a trailer queen but it does live in a garage with a cover over it.

Picked kids up from school and parked next to this.

post-17510-0-51662400-1499517928_thumb.jpg

Yesterday was spent upgrading bits. Fitted a gear reduction starter. No more cranking over loads, it starts so quickly it's amazing.

Smaller lighter and generally better than the lump of metal it replaced.

Draws Less electric.

post-17510-0-93040800-1499518211_thumb.jpg

Bit of a pain to fit single handed but managed with minimal swearing.

Also fitted electronic ignition and a new coil. Not sure if this well help anything but whilst driving it before it would fade on power and require cooling down before carrying on.

post-17510-0-32070700-1499521810_thumb.jpg

post-17510-0-06904800-1499521885_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted something original* to make a speaker box with and this suit case seemed the ideal candidate for the operation. Now please bare in mind this case has followed me through 1 divorce and 3 house moves you can see this plan has been slowly simmering for a looonnggg time.

This is what came with Buzz when I bought him, functional, heavy and a bit dated.

post-17510-0-82111600-1500729038_thumb.jpg

So with Mrs Sills out with the junior Crusty's I took the opportunity to claim one if their blankets. Let's call it an early lesson that all possessions are fleeting and it's a bourgeois concept! The tears will stop eventually!

With fabric cut and hot glued on it looked much better.

post-17510-0-94527100-1500742774_thumb.jpg

post-17510-0-76361700-1500743095_thumb.jpg

Just need to fit it tomorrow.

Agreed on the fuel hose, it looks cool but it's usually not the highest quality and fuel pissing over an engine is largely a bad thing.

If the car is hesitating it could be down to the distributor, it's an all mechanical one which is fine for drag strips but the original vacuum advance distributor gives a much nicer drive.

Excellent work on da bangin' choons!  That's a really nice idea