My Beetle build. Polish it everywhere.

Crusty Sills

A friend gave me a good kick up the arse and I got back to working on the car again.

Starting with sorting the garage and building the floor to a rolling chassis, this took a little while as during various moves, strips and storage I had to locate all the parts to get it done. After getting the floor built I found my mojo for the car again and promptly bought a load of parts to help finish.

post-17510-0-22505000-1434640997_thumb.jpg

with that done I started to think about the big job of painting. I had already decided on a colour which was going to be Agave Green a 60'sBeetle colour. I blagged someones drive and bought a massive 9mx3m tent/marquee.

Over the next 2 weeks I got the car primed, sanded and top coated.

post-17510-0-69016800-1434642696_thumb.jpg

post-17510-0-03966500-1434642928_thumb.jpg

post-17510-0-76640100-1434643558_thumb.jpg

Not a bad finish for a tent on a gravel drive.

This is always this best part for me and started showing some real progress at last.

I won some original seats which were slightly Knackered but they were getting recovered, off of ebay for the grand total of £10.

Downside was I had to go to Kent to collect them which kind of made them a whole lot less of a bargain!!

They had been done earlier so were dry.

Trying to get round, in and out, over and under a whole car without a temp controlled spray booth, space or slower hardeners and thinners is a real pain.

By painting places that can be masked it breaks it down into more manageable pieces and stops getting overspray and dry paint work on the areas you coated first keeping a better gloss.

As much as I would like to do more painting unfortunately I have know where to paint at present. Living in a rented house with arse hole neighbours means I can't do painting at home.

I am in discussion with the farmer across the road about using a an out building he has.

How much work needs doing to it?

The car is essentially sound apart from a ding in the rear panel (which will get done), a dent in the sill (which can stay) and a small amount of wob in one of the front wings. 

The roof can stay as it is as I was going to carbon fibre wrap it. It is a question of me stripping the old shite paint off (or as much as I can do) and doing as much prep as possible. It's after that which I struggle with as I have nowhere dust free and no power to my lock up. There is no rush as I need to refit the lights and lob it in for an MOT.

There is very little horrible rust. 

After finishing the topcoat on the body all the loose panels were done and it was time to get the body back to mine and reunited with the floorpan.

A few (un)willing were volunteers were rounded up and the body and floor were together again for the first time in 3 years.

post-17510-0-05132000-1434986659_thumb.jpg

The kids seemed to like Buzz looking like a car again!

During the winter of '12 and '13  I got the 'pan and the body all lined with sound proofing this was a proper ball ache of a job, A, it was freezing and B, it's so sticky and the tar base gets everywhere especially when having to use a hot air gun to make it flexible.

After giving up several times due to numb hands and frustration, I got it finished in the spring which was much nicer, making me wish I had just left it for the warmer weather to start with.

This pretty much started the process of putting all the new shiny bits on and taking them off and putting them back on correctly it really is amazing what goes into rebuilding a car!

The paint work was flattened with 1500 wet or dry and machined polished with G3 compound finishing with 3m swirl remover. A fit up to hold the panels whilst finishing them and he was looking  like a whole car again.

post-17510-0-51972300-1434986985_thumb.jpg

The headlining went in next, if anyone is thinking of doing one then take my advise and pay someone to do it, it was 2 weekends of my life that I'm never getting back!! I ended sticking pretty much anything to anything with contact adhesive luckily thinners did a good job of the clean up and I think I did a good job.

Then all new carpets from Newton Commercial. They were a great fit and a good recreation of the original style carpets that really make the interior seem finished. They weren't cheap mind!

post-17510-0-64364900-1434987872_thumb.jpg

post-17510-0-03437300-1434987937_thumb.jpg

Although this doesn't seem much but the sheer amount of time needed for each thing was way beyond what I had thought it would take.

First pictures I thought it was that really chunky looking green that VW did, I can't remember the name of it, it's similar to the colour of classic green Lego bricks.  Anyway, now I see the new pictures I realise you've painted the car in one of my favourite VW colours because of it's ability to look totally different depending, seemingly, on its mood.  Problem is you've reawoken that barely suppressed urge I have to get myself a mid-60s 1200 Bug.

As I mentioned at the start I got a letter from the DVLA telling me that the registration and the Chassis number did not match (I should have smelt a rat when I found a 'spare' vin number already cut out.)

After much phoning I established that the car had had a different floorpan that had never been registered, so I started the process of registering the car with the chassis number I had.

The DVLA said the car would have to go on a Q plate as a radically altered vehicle and that it would have to be taken to VOSA for a full inspection in order to have any kind of registration put on, I thought this was a bit harsh as it was only a new chassis number.

I some how got hold of a direct dial number for the local office in Norwich and explained it to the manager who actually seemed to know what she was talking about and prepared to help.

She told me the Chassis the car was on had never been stolen, scrapped or written of and that in theory a V5 existed for the car.

I had to join the Volkswagen owners club so a man could come and verify that parts on the car were original and of the correct date.

Letter in hand I took all the information to the local office and after a 2 hour wait managed to talk to someone who was prepared to put the car on an age related plate.

This all took a couple of years to sort and taught me a big lesson about checking chassis numbers and not buying cars without the paperwork being present.

Had they have closed of local DVLA offices before I had sorted this out it would have made this part of the whole restoration lot harder and stressful and I think it is a terrible thing that they closed them in order to save money! 

That's looking good, those Marathon Beetle wheels are really neat.

Without disturbing your thread too much, this is the brief story of my 1961 Beetle.  Bought from Sweden where they don't salt the roads

back.jpg

Sunroof welded in (from a pink car)

roof_brace_small.jpg

Stainless steel bumpers, L87 Pearl White paint on the outside, grey on the inside because I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to making a replica.  The car came with a poorly 1300 single port which got swapped for a 1641.

61_painted_rear.jpg

It also got a camber compensator, 1500cc Beetle gearbox with higher final drive, and Porsche 356 drum brakes.

356_front_drums.jpg

It was lowered by one spline on the rear and the front brought down to make it level.

temp_a.jpg

Graphics on

stripes_5.jpg

Film cars had the VW badge blanked off, only a proper geek would do that, right?

c-2.jpg

On the track

drag_race_1_small.jpg

Bigger wheels.  Sadly I couldn't find the Goodyear Bluestreak racing crossplies

IMGP0863.jpg

This took ages, cost loads and I'd do it all again if I could.  Starting off with a Beetle that wasn't rusty was a treat, having owned enough rusty ones when I was young!

That is lovely. I do like an early Beetle. Would love to put a more powerful engine in but blow me they are expensive and I just can't justify it.

Do you still have it?

I kept the Marathon wheels because every car seems to have alloys and thought it would be nice to keep steel wheels.

I was thinking of getting the rears banded but that's for another day.

I have a full set of Marathon stainless hexagon hub covers to go on.

I attempted a Herbie replica build this week. Here's how it went:

• Started with a white Beetle that's been sitting in the corner of my garden in Botswana for about a year: post-18080-0-41934400-1435252223_thumb.jpgpost-18080-0-88571000-1435254034_thumb.jpg
  • Cleaned carb; charged battery; changed 3 spark plugs (cos the shop only had 3 in stock); bought 3 inner tubes; inflated the tyres; put in some petrol.post-18080-0-17683800-1435252413_thumb.jpg
  • Checked the interior for snakes and lizards....removed animal skulls.post-18080-0-57181600-1435252355_thumb.jpg
  • Started on the button, but sounded absolutely terrible. Doesn't sound like my engine at all. Doesn't even look like my engine. Hang on! Don't think this is my engine! Think the bastard I left the car with to sort out the flywheel has swapped it for some piece of junk! Went round to confront him to find he's died. Oh well.
  • Called out a guy called Gerald - Zimbabwean Rastafarian shoe leather repair expert and part time Beetle enthusiast. This is his car:post-18080-0-57870100-1435254205_thumb.jpg post-18080-0-67503400-1435252698_thumb.jpg Gerald's verdict - engine's completely shagged. Need another.
  • Sourced a new engine for £200. But it's in Cape Town, 1,000 miles away. Transport issues prove to be too complicated. Washed it and parked it up. To be continued....post-18080-0-93412600-1435253054_thumb.jpg
  • And all the Herbie "53" stickers have crinkled in the sun. Should have left them in the shade. Was never that sure about them anyway. Overall verdict - fail.
PS - There's a hand-painted Beetle on Ebay just now with a headlining that looks like this (personally I'd be quite happy with the head lining and the hand-paint):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181775488616?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT post-18080-0-19354100-1435255062_thumb.jpg