Invalid carriage blue Mk1 Cavalier

4wheeledstool

When this is done you will be bored. Can I bring the Toledo over for the same treatment please :)The wheels look lovely. This car will indeed look more betterer than when made by allvauxhallsareshite in the first instance.

Many thanks Mr. Purplebarge! I'd quite like a crack at a Toledo, but I have a bit of a queue of chod fettling to get through! :(

The rear crankshaft seal and clutch spigot bearing were changed. The seal had a hole drilled into it so that a self tapping screw could be wound into it, then the seal could be prised out with a pair of pliers. The spigot bearing wasn't so easy though - after failing with the hydraulic action method with grease and a punch, a die grinder was borrowed, and duly used to terrorise it into submission. :)

f2Fe4v1.jpg

The seal and spigot bearing were then replaced, followed by the flywheel.

9Kps1vb.jpg

The flywheel was torqued down, then the clutch went in.

xNUBpgt.jpg

Finally the gearbox went back on, so the whole lot is ready to go back where it came from. (at some point in time, as yet unknown!)

CjhhuyL.jpg

You make it all sound so simple. And then here am I failing to undo some wheel bolts :-(

It is a pretty simple car, and I'm lucky in having access to the tools of several tame mechanics when I get stuck due to my lack thereof. :)

We can wait :)Cracking progress as per :) :)

Cheers! Don't hold your breath whilst waiting for me to beautify my shite - the list is likely to increase in length before long! :(

Yesterday I started to clean the underside in preparation for waxing. It was difficult to do without splashing water everywhere, so decided it was best left until the bare metal of the body has been painted.

KXYycsR.jpg

The list of things to clean and paint is short now, the master cylinder was on that list, so I started by cleaning the reservoir bottle.

SyEmYpT.jpg

I should have pictured it beforehand - it was almost all black with dirt!

The master cylinder itself was stripped, wire wheeled, and given a good clean before being painted. The complete assembly was then put back on the servo ready to go on the car.

kNAqwgh.jpg

YpXZpdw.jpg

Today the main paint bloke made a start on the shell! :) He got the filler work done where the arches had been repaired, a small dent on the roof was sorted, and a couple of spots of pitting on the upper sills were addressed. It will hopefully be in primer some time this week.

a4oXMqO.jpg

NHV79fT.jpg

I'm hoping it'll be going back together in a couple of weeks. :)

I've pretty much run out of stuff to do before the shell is painted now - barely anything has been done this week. :( Just a few odds and ends have been cleaned up ready to be fitted. I was going to buy a new coil, but the one I have seemed to work fine. When I started cleaning it up, I realised that it was probably the one fitted at the factory.

blY0XDP.jpg

I'm going to sandblast and paint its bracket silver, and the rest should clean up nicely.

nUx6Il1.jpg

Apologies for the lack of updates, there isn't likely to be a lot more to come until the paint blokes get their fingers out.

No need to apologise, even the small nuggets of cleansing and renovating are great. Do you have all your own equipment eg sand blaster or do you beg, borrow and steal? Curious about this workshop of yours. I never seem to have the space for all the equipment I might want...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My unit is a good sized old shed - its roughly three cars wide, and one and a half cars long - there's plenty of space for tools, spare parts and junk! I have a reasonable selection of tools, but anything I don't have is usually borrowed from one of the mechanic type blokes in adjacent units. The spring compressor is the only thing I need but have not got - one is being made by a good friend though. :)

I use the sand blasting rig at work, one of very few perks of the job!

Another day of paint bloke absence. :( After my odds and ends were primed, I mocked up the braking system to make sure the new lines were the right shape before they get painted.

haZbHvu.jpg

Hopefully the man will get some more done on the shell tomorrow.......

Well, it didn't happen on Sunday. Good news came today though, itll be going over on Wednesday/Thursday afternoon, so there's a pretty good chance it's gonna be painted over the weekend. :)

In the mean time, I've been doing odd jobs here and there. The pieces that were blasted last week have been painted.

IYTJkHR.jpg

The rubbery sound deadening stuff from the bulkhead and heating/ventilation system is in the process of being spruced up.

JCiEebq.jpg

And I found some proper windscreen sealant for when the front and rear glass goes back in. This stuff is pretty much the same as that which was removed from the car when the glass came out a few months ago. It doesn't set hard, so the glass can be removed again easily if needed.

jDlgctR.jpg

Alvis is a proper looker 8-)

It's a very lovely old thing, but if I could afford such a car I'd probably invest the money in a fleet of chod instead. :)

Had a cheeky sit in it earlier - its a pleasant place to be.

post-18211-0-19107700-1512824625_thumb.jpg

The shell has been rubbed down, and had a coat of epoxy primer splashed on. I had the epoxy made a similar colour to the top coat for a daft laugh. Here it is just before being hit with some regular grey primer.

qNDUeQz.jpg

It should be getting a good rub, then some top coat action over the weekend. :)

This is such a feel good thread. I always look forward to updates, and this one doesn't fail to please, either. Just one little thing though... aren't you going to wait until the paint's hardened for a couple of weeks, before flatting and polishing it, prior to refitting of the external bits n'pieces?

No? I wouldn't be able to wait either ;)

This is fantastic! It looks lovely in paint. I bet you can't wait to see it all back together looking complete again.

I've got all this to come with my Capri and can't wait to see the colour go on, it's when the project turns the corner from dirty messy stripping and prep to the start of it being an as new car again and less of a project.

Keep the updates coming, this is one of the best threads on here.

This is going to be a real minter

Cheers! I hope so! :)

This is such a feel good thread. I always look forward to updates, and this one doesn't fail to please, either. Just one little thing though... aren't you going to wait until the paint's hardened for a couple of weeks, before flatting and polishing it, prior to refitting of the external bits n'pieces?

No? I wouldn't be able to wait either ;)

Thank you kindly! It'll be getting it's flat and polish once it's together. I'll leave most of the trims off until the polishing is done. The windows, door handles, locks etc. can be masked off when the time comes.

This is fantastic! It looks lovely in paint. I bet you can't wait to see it all back together looking complete again.

I've got all this to come with my Capri and can't wait to see the colour go on, it's when the project turns the corner from dirty messy stripping and prep to the start of it being an as new car again and less of a project.

Keep the updates coming, this is one of the best threads on here.

Many thanks! Putting it back together is definately the best bit. I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks, so plenty more updates to come! :)

Been busy this afternoon putting stuff back in the engine bay -

FZSgvid.jpg

Bulkhead sound deadening stuff, servo and brake lines, heating and ventilation stuff as well as the wiper mechanism all went in without stress.