Invalid carriage blue Mk1 Cavalier

4wheeledstool

Good man. That bloody mindedness/perseverance is clearly paying off. I want to stroke this old bird when it's done.

Me too!

Should be at Shitefest 2017 for stroking purposes - it'll not be done in time for this year's chod gathering. :(

Got a bit more off today -

WqDlnVT.jpg

Comparison of the new paint colour with the original non oxidised paint from under the rear window seal.

Q7tQfJW.jpg

And under a door seal.

nhph8sV.jpg

56H7tzr.jpg

It looks pretty close, but it's very different to that which has just been removed!

Got some more sanding done earlier - just the roof left to do.

1BkSOYv.jpg

eDphY5R.jpg

Fingers crossed so hopefully the paint blokes will be ready for it before it all goes rusty. Don't really want to sand it again!

I was hoping the shell would be with the painter blokes this weekend, but they've taken this weekend off. I had a feeling that this would occur, so I made preparations to paint my wheels.

After bead blasting, they received a couple of coats of etch primer. This was left to harden for 24 hours, rubbed down, then hit with a few coats of silver -

78kF1BB.jpg

Then some clear lacquer -

tAVbCwL.jpg

Then after going off in the sunshine, they went back into my unit until I can put the tyres back on -

VDFQivD.jpg

Fortunately there are a few jobs I can be getting on with whilst I wait for the shell to be painted.:(

You might be disappointed with progress but personally I think you're doing great - every time Tapatalk announces you've posted an update I can't wait to see what's happening now - never disappoints. Might even have to travel back to the UK to see this thing in the flesh once you've finished! Onwards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be disappointed with progress but personally I think you're doing great - every time Tapatalk announces you've posted an update I can't wait to see what's happening now - never disappoints. Might even have to travel back to the UK to see this thing in the flesh once you've finished! Onwards!!

Why thank you very kindly! Perhaps you could attend Shitefest next year? Sweden is a long way to travel from to view just one piece of chod!

Will you be rustproofing the outer shell before painting?

Life is too short to do the whole car with POR - and it would probably be overkill too! The plan for the shell exterior is a coat of epoxy primer onto the bare metal, followed by regular 2k primer, then the blue. Once painted, the sills, a,b and c pillars as well as anywhere else it's doable, will get a good spaffing with cavity wax. :)

Why thank you very kindly! Perhaps you could attend Shitefest next year? Sweden is a long way to travel from to view just one piece of chod!

Life is too short to do the whole car with POR - and it would probably be overkill too! The plan for the shell exterior is a coat of epoxy primer onto the bare metal, followed by regular 2k primer, then the blue. Once painted, the sills, a,b and c pillars as well as anywhere else it's doable, will get a good spaffing with cavity wax. :)

Chod, Sir? No chance :-) but I do get back to see family and would actively coordinate that to get a chance to see this!

Chod, Sir? No chance :-) but I do get back to see family and would actively coordinate that to get a chance to see this!

Fair doos! :)

Maybe POR would be overkill but just wondering how long the shell will stay relatively 'clean' as it were without some kind of protection, even a wipe over with Kurust? :)

You are doing bloody ace work and I am as always, in awe :) :)

Cheers! The engine bay took a good few weeks to start rusting when left bare metal - it was easily cleaned back to bright and shiny with a scotch pad though. Hopefully it won't be too much longer to wait for the final paint love session!

I look forward to updates on your progress!

It will be nice to see what these things looked like when they were brand new.

As always, keep up the excellent work sir :D

Looking forward to next installment on this project as always.

Many thanks! I'm still hoping that this will be all but done this Summer - so plenty more updates to come! 8)

I've been building up the doors today - pretty fiddly stuff like locks, handles, catches and window regulators. It's been a while since they came apart, so one front door took a fair while to work out the order of assembly. The corresponding door for the other side was then really easy as I knew what I was doing. This process was obviously repeated for the rear doors.

jAyqV8H.jpg

O7yaZfX.jpg

XhCpzFu.jpg

I thought that the front door window regulators were gonna be a nightmare, but my trusty yellow book made it easy - here's a cutaway pic of the torturous route the cable takes -

XNaTN6z.jpg

Is this some sort of weird joke? I have seen plenty of older and newer cars with simple mechanisms. Why so complicated?

Fab progress - I also can't wait to see it. If you can't make shitefest perhaps Billing?

I have no idea why the saloons used such an oddball arrangement - the Manta/Cavalier coupe use more conventional scissor type regulators.

I don't believe it'll be done in time for Billing - especially now that the shell is not likely to be painted for at least a couple of weeks. :(

I was about to fit the glass to the rear doors today, then realised that I'd not painted the bars that separate the quarter lights from the main windows.

I5r1m10.jpg

SuYoajU.jpg

I bare metalled and primed them today, they'll be hit with satin black tomorrow, then glass installation will resume on Friday.

I didn't get as much done as I was hoping today for one reason or another. Kicked off by making some kunifer brake lines up, to replace the ones that were damaged when the car was stripped.

69xuWm1.jpg

The gearbox received a new output shaft seal, then the new clutch release bearing was fitted. Finished off the session by fitting the glass to both front doors.

xQuWzdG.jpg

It was properly unpleasant in the unit today - unfeasibly sweaty! As a result, I didn't stick it for long, just fitted the door frame trims.

zNkyzDC.jpg

You can't see it in the pics, but they have some pitting in them, which lets the look down somewhat. They're aluminium though, so I should be able to polish them up at some point - probably when the weather turns later in the year.

For now, I'll just cover the doors up until the time comes to fit them. The remaining trims for the bottoms of the windows and the side trims will go on when the paint has had its final polish.

w179T0c.jpg

No paint bloke action this weekend either - I suppose it's fair enough given the heat, but it looks like my plans to have it all together in July may not happen. :(

Something that could be done outdoors was required today - tidying up the front part of the exhaust system fitted the bill nicely. It was stripped of old paint and rust with a wire wheel, then hit with the same high temperature paint used on the manifold.

R5kZdjX.jpg

Only time will tell how well it lasts! :)

I bought some ethanol resistant braided rubber fuel hose off eBay a while ago. It looks just like the original stuff which kind of disintegrated when I stripped the car.

KEP31bA.jpg

It's used between the metal fuel line and the fuel pump + carburettor. Its also used between the plastic fuel line from the tank, and the fuel pump. The thinner stuff is for the breather between the inlet manifold and rocker cover.

789lGSk.jpg

^^I had to modify the metal fuel pipe slightly, as the fuel inlet of the Weber is in a different place to the one on the original Solex.

xhgGZPi.jpg

Should be getting the engine off the stand soon so it can be reunited with the gearbox.

That Woven covered pipe is crap,you might get a year out of it,also stops you seeing the condition of the hose itself

I've used this stuff before, and its been fine - I'll keep an eye on it though chief! :)

Great progress! I am ill with disease again ... Still enjoyed update. That hose looks perfectly oem to me I can see why you used it.

Cheers! The new hoses look identical to the original stuff, apart from the DIN numbers printed on it.

The tyres went back on the wheels this afternoon - closely followed by the centre caps and trim rings. :)

VhVcgLb.jpg

Balancing wights went on the backs.

aMY13X8.jpg

Should look reet smart when I've cleaned the tyres and used a bit of tyre shine on them.

TBnlpAj.jpg

A new clutch cover plate arrived today too - hopefully it'll be fitted this weekend . :)

rII4KJx.jpg