Invalid carriage blue Mk1 Cavalier

4wheeledstool

Fantastic paint job. It looks bloody lovely :)

Cheers! It's not too bad.

I tried some body shop paint stripper today to see if it could be done quicker. It liquefied the blue top coat immediately, but only slightly softened the primer beneath. The primer could be scraped off after treatment with some aggression, but it was slow going. It came off easier with the disc after treatment, but the application of the paint stripper, as well as using the disc doesn't save any time over just hitting it with the disc without using the stripper first. Disappointing!

The test piece was the outside of the passenger side front door - still took the best part of an hour and a half, as the paint just smears until a bit of heat builds up and it lets go!

PyZrCbE.jpg

The paint stripper is really good on two pack paint, but the acrylic paint on this car is a bit of a pain!

Are you planning to band your steels?

While AS was down, I went over on to Retro Rides for a look and read the thread about the yellow Cavvy - he has just banded his and I think they look sensational!

They do look good, but I want to keep this totally boggo. I may change my mind at some point in the future, but the downside would be having to lose the chrome trim rings. I do like the chrome trim rings. :P

Got a few things done today, but forgot to take pictures! I cleaned and re taped the engine bay wiring loom, so that's ready to go. The steering column was refitted to the bulkhead, then the horn was put back into place. The greater part of my time on this today was spent polishing the other side of the engine bay - there were a few dry spots that needed sorting, and it took a while.

GPUODs4.jpg

Started stripping another door this afternoon (yawn),then thought it a good idea to make sure the new door fits the shell before they both get painted.

gcquR9l.jpg

Seen here while I was looking for the hinge pins! ^^^

It seems to fit well, but I'll not know for sure until the other door and wing are in position. The only adjustment there is involves biffing the hinge parts of the shell forwards or backwards. The plan is to fit the rear door first,as that was fitted at the factory and is therefore gonna be right. The drivers door will then go on, and if the gap between both doors is right, the wing can be fitted. If it's not right, the hinges can be "manipulated" before the wing is bolted down.

I am sure that I speak for the entire past, present and future population of Autoshite when I say this.......

I cannot fucking wait to see the finished product.

Me too! I'm still planning on it being on the road some time in July. :)

This just keeps getting better. Following up my previous comments, and as Mrs Wogan didn't once say, anal is good. Not that you'd want to sell, I'm sure, but I reckon GM would be all over this as a mint, heritage example. Stunning.

Thank you kindly! The Vauxhall Heritage Centre have a mk1 Cav already - I believe it's the one in the post about sharing wings with Mantas.

MOAR. Continue pls.

Will do!

I've missed a few updates, but glad I checked back in again. Remarkable work going on here.

I think you're right to keep it on the standard wheels, the sporty GL ones look best of all those available on the Mk1.

Cheers!

Good stuff, and another vote for the original steels with the trim rings. Got to ask - am I being thick or is the shell being painted in stages?

I wanted the front end painted first so that I could fit the front suspension/wheels etc. to make it easier to move around. Because I'm still waiting to get hold of the specific spring compressor, its not happened yet - but due to the success of the "handlebars" its not a problem just yet. The rest of the shell will be done in one hit, probably after all the detachable panels are done.

Piss poor update, but another door is now ready to be painted.

Tmd3TbP.jpg

Once the drivers door, bonnet and boot lid are stripped, I can start on the biggest bit.:(

If this car doesn't feature in one of the classic car mags (with you posing awkwardly in background in a suspiciously clean shirt :mrgreen: ) when it's finished there is something wrong in the world.

Cheers - I hope it's good enough! Clean shirt unlikely though, as I age I tend towards the "well turned out tramp" look. :)

Only one wheel blasted so far for one reason or another - I'll probably do the rest myself later this week.

P2UFh4W.jpg

All the parts with date stamps I've seen so far have all been October/November 1976 - seems fair enough given the date of registration.

AbVh2Qt.jpg

Nice one Mr Stool, really impressive levels of skill and dedication. 159.1/10

Many thanks!

The outside of the boot lid was stripped today - here you can see the paint revert back to the colour it should be, when liquefied by paint stripper.

nbfcOrB.jpg

After that, I went to work and sandblasted the wheels. I get why no one wanted to do these for me - each one took about 45 minutes to do in their entirety. Now in bags awaiting painting or powder coating - not decided yet!

mbuaBro.jpg

This is fantastic.  Please keep the updates coming.

My car repairing friend says that those fixed hinges are not bashed if the door does not fit.  He says that if you bash them, it is very difficult to get both hinges to align and also you bend the car not the hinge.  He says cut them and weld them back together.  When I looked horrified at that, he said 'when you've done 'em as many times as I have, you just do it'.

come on hurry up and throw some bloo paint about will you :roll:

Paint is being thrown as I type!

Amazing dedication to chod.

Good chod deserves it! :)

This is fantastic. Please keep the updates coming.

My car repairing friend says that those fixed hinges are not bashed if the door does not fit. He says that if you bash them, it is very difficult to get both hinges to align and also you bend the car not the hinge. He says cut them and weld them back together. When I looked horrified at that, he said 'when you've done 'em as many times as I have, you just do it'.

Cheers!

The Service Training manual suggests the use of a specific tool for the job. One end of it is to adjust the hinge, the other end is to align both hinges with each other. Cutting and welding them seems both extreme and difficult in comparison!

9ap7vhq.jpg