Invalid carriage blue Mk1 Cavalier

4wheeledstool

• 2 months later...

I have just read through this entire thread. I love the car and what has been done to it. I was a staunch Vauxhall’s man back then, I owned one cavalier coupe, one manta, 2 mk1 astras, and 2 mk 2 cavaliers and loved every one of them. This one must be the closest there is to a brand new cavalier mk1 in existence, and probably better than it was when new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Massive equipment failure at work left me with a nice sunny day at my disposal. After a short ride out, the amount of traffic led me to look elsewhere to spend the unexpected time off work.

A trip to the local motor factors netted me a tin of 20/50 and an oil filter - next stop was the farm.

IMG_20180913_115941.jpg

A general service was then performed at a leisurely pace. When my van is serviced, it can't end soon enough, but servicing my chod is invariably far less of a chore. :)

IMG_20180913_115645.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I did something I never thought I would today - I actually took it along to a car show! The show in question had three things going for it that many shows do not. 1, it was free to enter, 2, no need to pre-book, and 3, it was less than a mile from my doorstep - the show was a part of the Northwich festival, and due to the above reasons, I thought why not,?

IMG_20190826_133456.thumb.jpg.ec473427b7b52bb3dc4a94205f6acf3f.jpg

IMG_20190826_133440.thumb.jpg.6a4d921d1701ee70aff762fd4a16160c.jpg

I went on my own, and a space was found next to a car club group. Many pleasant comments + chinwaggings took place over the course of the day, and there was some nice motors to gawp at too. (there was a lot more there than I was expecting) I might make it a regular thing weather permitting !

Didn't take many pics for some reason - here's a couple of the ones I did take 

Giffer owned Capri

IMG_20190826_111856.thumb.jpg.8c93225589a0ed2c24b19277ef65b737.jpg

Complete with plah

IMG_20190826_111917.thumb.jpg.bf019e8fcb43e5007a309018ba3c1756.jpg

Toyota siblings

IMG_20190826_111828.thumb.jpg.af1d901e6ab9de3c5e0dd59f8ac75884.jpg

What's the script with body panels for these now, in particular front wings? Have been offered another one today, but at least one wing is beyond saving by the looks of it. Cheers. 

• 4 months later...

Dug this out of hibernation this afternoon thanks to a completely dry, sunny day. 

IMG_20200101_152239.thumb.jpg.7e41283e8fbb99a9066b909a61de3cfa.jpg

By the time 50 miles worth of enjoyment was had, it wasn't so sunny anymore, but it stayed dry. 

IMG_20200101_140228.thumb.jpg.9008157311d36b6c3e8fe161b965ae91.jpg

^^^ colour of the car looked very different in murky light conditions. 

Always great to see this one.

There are very recent updates (last week) and additional material on the history of the Mk1 Cav on Vauxpedia. Lots of great early 70s period development pics (HD Viva, etc).

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-u-car---cavalier-mk1-part-1

It's spilled onto an ongoing Part 2 thread / page.

14 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

Always great to see this one.

There are very recent updates (last week) and additional material on the history of the Mk1 Cav on Vauxpedia. Lots of great early 70s period development pics (HD Viva, etc).

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-u-car---cavalier-mk1-part-1

It's spilled onto an ongoing Part 2 thread / page.

Cheers, I almost entirely forgot about Vauxpedia. I wiled away a couple of hours there earlier.

Never knew about the HD Viva. In the loosest possible terms: a bit like a miniture Rover SD1...which I suppose eventually became the Cavalier 'J Car' 5 door.

Edited by ProgRocker
HD Viva, not FD. Oops.

• 3 months later...
On 5 April 2017 at 11:52 AM, Eddie Honda said:

Can anyone point a poor sole to the details on *where* you have to go/send the paperwork to tax a vehicle on that form please?

My "take" on it is the Post Office, but I have had three Post Offices say they are unable to do it, so far. :(

After numerous "take it to the Post Office" replies from DVLA they eventually said :-

The information on the INF34 is correct. However, if the date of manufacture recorded on the V5C does not show a date before 01/01/1980 this will need to amended before the tax class can be changed to 'Historic'. 

The information provided in the previous response explains how you can update this.

28 minutes ago, keef said:

Does anyone know where on the V5c the date of manufacture is shown?

image.jpeg@lightbulbfun

it does not AFAIK!

the year of manufacture is taken from the year of first registration

if it is declared to be different to the date of first registration

then it will have something in the special notes section like "declared manufactured 1955" or something such

back on the previous DVLA checker "version" it didn't actually always SAY year of manufacture, mostly for vehicles which had been dormant for a long while 

image.png

it was only once they where active again did the system "update" and give it a year of mfg

Screenshot 2019-01-29 at 13.10.26.png

now with the most recent DVLA update, no matter how dorment a vehicle is, it will always get a year of manufacture appended to it, and since that year of mfg is taken from the date of first registration it can lead to some "fun"! 

take REV737K for example a December 1971 Model 70 that at some point was put down as Registered December 1970!

Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 21.27.25.png

and this is where the DVLAs method of grabbing the year of manufacture from date of registration falls apart, because its not from 1970!

image.thumb.png.ecf44b324234003b034f7165716d7be1.png

however its worth noting that even back on the old system, for vehicles with date of registrations newer then when they where made they did always have a correct year of manufacture put down curiously enough

Screenshot 2019-06-09 at 21.06.16.png

as I think I have mentioned before, I believe these late date of first registrations are a result/artifact of when they where transitioned from their buff logbooks to the DVLC's V5 scheme 

I have sadly never seen the V5 for one of these such cars, I imagine they too would have something in their special notes section

but @keef you own KRW794 which is exactly like the above, so what does its V5 say? :) 

image.thumb.png.3d456ca5f254a1b23f087fe99beee8a9.png

14 minutes ago, keef said:

Why then does DVLA say it is?

image.jpeg

what do you mean by "why then does the DVLA say it is?"

im not quite sure I follow, 

what im curious about is what it says in the top left for KRW794 

what does it say for date of first registration and date of first registration the UK 

that section

what I was saying is KRW794 is one of those cars where the date of first registration is different from its year of manufacture, due to probably because of its transition from a buff logbook to the V5 system

1 hour ago, keef said:

After numerous "take it to the Post Office" replies from DVLA they eventually said :-

The information on the INF34 is correct. However, if the date of manufacture recorded on the V5C does not show a date before 01/01/1980 this will need to amended before the tax class can be changed to 'Historic'. 

The information provided in the previous response explains how you can update this.

9 minutes ago, keef said:

because the DVLA are the DVLA?

I don't know exactly why the person said what they said 

why didn't/dont you ask them this question then? :)

"nowhere on the V5 can I find a date of manufacture, I can only a date of first registration, could you please advise as to where on the V5 I should find the date of manufacture?"

7 minutes ago, keef said:

Ah, right. I thought you referring to the special notes section which *DO* sometimes show the information as three of my logbooks show.

yeah thats what I was trying to say

the date of manufacture is not recorded on the V5 unless it does happen/is declared to be different from the year of manufacture etc

(I guess because generally when you register a new car for the first time it is normally made within the year your registering it!) 

side note, this threads title trips me up every time It pops up LOL

12 minutes ago, keef said:

I think Kory's logbook is beginning to get a complex as the most photographed V5C out there! LOL

image.jpeg

im going horribly off topic now!

but thats interesting, so no where on KRW794's V5 does it say 1974 does it?

thats interesting because we know the car is a 1974 car and the DVLA even knows that

but if its not on the V5 then I wonder where its stored/noted down exactly?

I would have expected the special notes bit to say "Declared manufactured 1974"

or something along those lines!