Invalid carriage blue Mk1 Cavalier

4wheeledstool

• 2 months later...

there is usually a clause that vehicles registered a few days after 1st jan must have been built prior to that ;-)

Also, manufacturers or owners' clubs sometimes have the records to show when a particular car left the factory.

there is usually a clause that vehicles registered a few days after 1st jan must have been built prior to that ;-)

Anything registered up to and including 7th January is automagically considered to be built the previous year and a tax class change can be requested without reams of supporting paperwork. Been like that for YEARS.

See INF34: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf34-taxing-historic-vehicles

(I promise not to be grumpy about having to bang on about it.)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Post Office to change the taxation class to historic this morning - computer said no! I'm thinking it's because it has 6 months tax on it, perhaps if I SORN it and try again it'll work. The V5C says that the taxation class can only be changed when taxing, which I didn't notice until I got home. :(

Heres a couple of pics from the other day to brighten up an otherwise dull post -

ToBY7EX.jpg

jwVcOVE.jpg

They should have been able to do it.

http://www.p6club.com/content/applying-tax-exemption

The process of a mid-term change of tax class is to fill in a V10, change the V5C with "HISTORIC" and sort it out from there.

The only proof you need is the INF34 if they are unaware that 4th Jan counts as the previous year.

If they can't, you can apply direct.

They should have been able to do it.http://www.p6club.com/content/applying-tax-exemptionThe process of a mid-term change of tax class is to fill in a V10, change the V5C with "HISTORIC" and sort it out from there.The only proof you need is the INF34 if they are unaware that 4th Jan counts as the previous year.If they can't, you can apply direct.

I'll give it a go via post - Post Office giffer woman doesn't appear to be able to do it.

New steering arm fitted today.

EmLX1Os.jpg

There was a little bit of play in the ball joint at the rack end - not any more! :)

• 2 weeks later...

After a conversation with a DVLA type today, the reason for the Post Office's inability to change my taxation class to historic became apparent. According to DVLA records, the date of manufacture of this car is 31/12/77 - almost a year after the date of registration which was 04/01/77. They are clearly trained to believe the database is correct, which is fair enough, but that's clearly a fuck up right there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Worth it though!

It's a bastard though isn't it?! I've had to do it for all mine too.

It wouldn't have been nearly as laborious if my pictures had stayed in the correct order when moving them to imgur. They ended up pretty randomly scattered, and I haven't been able to correct it. Hopefully I won't have to repeat the excercise any time soon!

• 3 months later...