Invalid carriage blue Mk1 Cavalier

4wheeledstool

No work at all was done on this at the weekend, I figured that good driving weather would have been wasted if I'd spent the weekend in the lock up. Did some miles in it instead. :)

Fitted the rear mud flaps this afternoon

S7QHU52.jpg

8pFh3j3.jpg

ZRQ9qw3.jpg

Should get the fronts done on Saturday. (Unless the weather's nice again!)

Fantastic to see this finished and on the road, you must be so proud of your achievement.

When out and about in it, are you being extra cautious or mindful of other road users?

Cheers! Other than dodging cow/horse shit, puddles and pot holes, I don't behave any differently behind the wheel of this than my other cars. I do tend to be more careful than I used to be nowadays, after losing my black Polo a few years ago due to a third party not looking before pulling out on me. :)

I've been lucky with new parts again! This time it was a new pair of early style mirrors. This car only came with one on the drivers side, this obviously makes some manoeuvres guesswork. The mirror that was on the car when bought was from a later car too.

vuL6I2o.jpg

2jIFUJL.jpg

The triangular thing is a new piece to replace the blank one on the car for passenger side mirror attachment.

Good find on the mirrors. My Capri being a peasant spec model only came with the one mirror but I've put one on the passenger side since. Definitely worth doing IMHO even if it is at the expense of originality.

Cars that only came with one door mirror would almost invariably have the passenger side mirror available as a factory fitted optional extra, so it doesn't really affect the originality. The extra mirror COULD have been original, even though it isn't!

Emma the grey grille Sierra "should" only have one. Who knows if the second one was fitted at the factory or not? It was an option in the brochure.

Just caught up.

Absolutely outstanding effort.

A* out of 10.

Thanks very muchly!

Good find on the mirrors. My Capri being a peasant spec model only came with the one mirror but I've put one on the passenger side since. Definitely worth doing IMHO even if it is at the expense of originality.

The quadrant I have for the passenger side mirror is for a coupe, and therefore won't fit. :( Looks like it'll be sporting just the one mirror until I can locate the correct part. At least the one mirror is now the correct one! :)

QjbZ0mu.jpg

Passed a bit of a milestone in it earlier -

1SV0Ii8.jpg

This is where this thread got to!  I caught that you'd got it MoT'd (no great surprise there, given the work done) but not been able to find the thread since.  Excellent to see you still tinkering away on little bits and bobs and keep us all up to date with shiny blue Vauxhall pics.

This is where this thread got to! I caught that you'd got it MoT'd (no great surprise there, given the work done) but not been able to find the thread since. Excellent to see you still tinkering away on little bits and bobs and keep us all up to date with shiny blue Vauxhall pics.

Cheers! Not a lot of jobs to do on this now (until seat fabric is found) but I'll continue to share any odds and ends as they are done. :)

Fantastic job. It was nice before, it's bloody perfect now. Well done 4WS.

Many thanks! It's by no means perfect, but it is a lot better to look at now, than at this time last year! Hopefully it'll last well too. :)

Grabbed an hour on this today, and got the passenger side mirror + new quadrant fitted.

p7FApKo.jpg

Those mirrors are epic. When did they change to the bigger ones, was it '78? I remember Vauxhall fitted a batch to the Nova Swing for some reason...

I think it was early in '77, there may also have been both types fitted for a time. (?) I've seen them on early Chevette HS/HSRs, but wasn't aware they'd been fitted to Novas. :)

GM must have had a stash of them left over from end of line shove-its, I remember the Swing well, most only had a driver side mirror, the pax was an option, and bizarrely it had SR wheels painted silver. A total oddbod parts bin special, with a brown interior

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got this out for a drive this afternoon

20161107_161630_zpsai8xnsex.jpg

20161107_161711_zps7vhx0uzr.jpg

After I put the car away, I saw the gritter trucks out on my way home, so this could well have been my last ride out for a while. :(

Looks fantastic, even with that invalid chariot colour but I understand your low spirits, had to garage/off-road the Calibra last month. Winter has hit us here in Sweden already, mine is not restored to your standard so I definitely don't want the winter weather taking its toll! Look on the bright side, plenty of late spring and summer months trekking in it. Just keep it safe - saw on FB today that a Morris Minor had been swiped - seems the classics are the target these days...

Just caught up after my self-enforced exile, and echo everything that's been previously said; a splendid job done, and i don't blame you at all for locking her away for hibernation..... my Capri is still sound asleep from Autumn 2015!

Give yourself a pat on the back Sir.

• 2 months later...

Just caught up after my self-enforced exile, and echo everything that's been previously said; a splendid job done, and i don't blame you at all for locking her away for hibernation..... my Capri is still sound asleep from Autumn 2015!

Give yourself a pat on the back Sir.

Many thanks Mr. Outlaw!

Finally got round to running this up for an hour or so recently.

MOZt8xG.jpg

Gave it a quick clean too (where does all the dirt come from when you're not driving it?)

Really looking forward to the Spring so I can get out and about in it again! :)