pricing question

ayd

seeing as I'm amongst experts I need to ask a question.Seeing all these pics of Renault 4's makes me want one as my Mum used to have one years ago.Whats the going rate for a working one with tax and mot, not after a show winner but a daily runner?

I paid £80 for mine with four months' T&T. It had the rear suspension issues that Pog has referred to though - the nsr trailing arm mount had snapped clean off so the wheel was held on by the torsion bar and nowt else. Ran reliably for the time I had it though, and drove fine as long as you didn't overcook it too much into right handers. I haven't seen another on the road that cheap for a while though. I almost bought a 1967 845cc 4L with 3-speed box for £100 about four years ago - running and driving but needed a patch in the driver's floor for its MoT. I was sorely tempted, but I was looking for a car to use as a runabout and the 4L was just a little too slow. Plus I was living out in the sticks at the time and the 6V headlights were not a lot of cop.

I paid £650 for this 2 owner from new stunner back in 1993, the elderly couple I bought from had owned it since it was 6 months old! It served me well for 2 years and about 40,000 miles, and you just can't help grinning like a Chesire cat when driving one of these. Sadly, their rust resistance is crap, hence very few are left in soggy salty Blighty. I gave this one copious waxoyl treatments to keep the dreaded tinworm at bay, wish I still had it!....

Posted Image

Posted Image

The vehicle details for A382 PTT are:

Date of Liability 01 03 1997

Date of First Registration 01 06 1984

Year of Manufacture 1984

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1108CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour RED

Lasted a bit longer-but not much :(

Worth checking here for R4s for sale > Renault4.co.uk's for sale section

Chance to roll out my old R4 photos...

My old GTL around 1990 - rattle-can black (easier to match rest of body to replacement bonnet and wings than vice versa :wink: and it wasn't even considered cool back then :D )

Posted Image

Posted Image

An 850cc jobby I had for a short while - lovely!

Posted Image

An 850cc jobby I had for a short while - lovely!

Posted Image

Lovely indeed! I also jointly owned an 850 (WYK 537N) with my Brother at about the time I had the 'A' reg example, and The 850 felt quite different to drive and had the most comical exhaust note of anything I've ever driven, sounding like someone farting through a trombone :lol:

The 850 felt quite different to drive and had the most comical exhaust note of anything I've ever driven, sounding like someone farting through a trombone :lol:

Yup, that's what the 850 I almost bought sounded like. That one had a three-speed 'box as well, with a crash first, so it made a wonderful noise when pulling away - with the gear whine and exhaust fart it almost sounded like a '30s car. That little 845cc engine was a lot sweeter than the 1108cc job in my GTL too - barely any tappet noise to speak of. It really was very underpowered though, and the carb was comical - I think it would have strangled my Mobylette if I'd fitted it to that. I still regret not buying it though - I was out of work at the time and couldn't afford to keep a car that wasn't going to be usable as a daily driver. Today it'd be a different story...

The rear doors look so narrow - are they for anorexics only? They look claustrophobic!

When I was 16-17, in a complicated arrangement whereby the lady I got a lift to work with who had a silver Metro in turn got a lift with someone else sometimes, I often ended up travelling in the back of a 4 GTL. I don't recall it being a problem getting in and out, what made more of an impression on me was how the visible structure looked to be made from bits of tube that would be touch and go on a cheap deckchair.Door looks nice and square at the top, and that's where you need most room as you get into a car unless you have very fat legs? I love the Camry for that reason, great for getting kids in and out unlike the swoopy door shapes on other cars.