Stondon at Leominster

messerschmitt owner

My hand was up for about twenty lots, helping many on their way but there were no bargains

The Lea-Francis was an absolute steal. The Jowett Long saloon was a very good price and the Swift was a very good buy if you really wanted to go slowly in style. The Javelin was reasonable considering how nice it was, and the RO80 looks like it may have been a brilliant buy for somebody.

The best car there was probably the 1920s Number, a really beautiful thing, but i think it went for pretty much what it was worth. Lots of bargains, though

The RO80 was DOG rough, it looked so nice in the photo's, but...It had the sunroof welded over and filled, the inside was covered in what looked like a sheet of ply covered in carpet. Generally very poor paint, knackered trim and unknown mech?

Most of the cars were appalling, not original resto projects, but bodged nails...

Most of the cars were appalling, not original resto projects, but bodged nails...

this - which meant that not many were really cheap. 6-pot and I looked at the metro (politan) and thought there was more wob than metal on bits of it. Thing is, budget £1,000 for the cheapest car back on the road (yes, I know a few would be a battery, fuel and fluid change only) but all needed work - from a recomission to a full resto. For the prices paid, lots will turn out to be much more expensive than buying a running car in good order.

And yes, you should have bought the RT.

Was the Viceroy part of the sale?

post-5013-0-45130300-1434017722_thumb.jpg

One of my faves when visiting the museum on their closing down weekend.  IIRC it was a fairly recent purchase, so wasn’t fucked from years sitting in a damp old greenhouse.

I liked the Victor Behind it - was relatively tidy, but driver's door misaligned, and rust on the bottom of all four doors. Could buy a tidy one that runs and is road legal for £6995 (with a box of spares and other bts), so £5100+ 600 fees for a slightly rusty non-runner with no spares was too much money.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C558421

or even this ...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C615871

it's £4500 and full MoT on purchase.

You really wouldn't want that RT. Good for mechanical spares. Body frame had gone and was in the early stages of collapse.

Pretty much yes!  Trig and I climbed up it and hung out the front window to do dramatic* photos of the Shiters below.  You could feel we were too heavy for the floor and stairs (I'm fatter than Trig, obviously)

WP_20150404_12_54_39_Pro.jpg

I remember somebody saying the 1926 AEC single decker was rotten with bulging sides when we visited the museum and it was the lady sat next to us at the auction who bought it for £15500. Messershmitt owner stopped me when I started telling her it needed some work!

she bought it on spec - having come along just for the caravan! The one you decried and said was worth £2k and that I said was worth at least £10k. I hope she didn't hear all of our conversation about it ...

I'm just glad I didn't go, I can't be trusted at auctions these days and would probably have ended up buying the most over-priced shed on offer, with no thoughts as to what I was going to do with it afterwards. 

Was this the last auction of the Stondon stuff? Hopefully I have missed all the automobilia as I need to have a big sort out with the stuff I already have, without buying any more.

I thought all the microcars were all expensive - many of the least desirable ones - all making strong money bearing in mind condition and ultimate worth. The Reliants were probably OK pricewise, but I didn't look at them carefully. The Nobel was extortionate for what it was, the berk needed a body split restoration, was missing hood and frame, had the wrong hubs and front wheels, the dash was incomplete, body-strengthening metalwork had been patched and it was missing badges, had a poor retrim, wrong steering wheel and headlamps. The Bond MkG was again least desirable model, had a rotten screen frame (irreplacable) and was overall in a sorry state. probably the easiest resto of the microcars though. Still too dear when £4k buys a concours one. £2400 plus around £300 commission.

The Cursors were both rougher than a badger's arse and are hardly worthwhile candidates for restoration. The enfield was expensive but probably only needed £400 of batteries to make it run. The Nobel - rotten and bordering on unrestorable. The Reliant Fox ... WTF are they worth that??? The Fiat 500 kit car I thought would be worth £3-4k on the road so the £2100 plus £250 commission and vat was top dollar. The invacars - well, I think they were heading Stateside so no surprise at price but too much for me. I had the Invacar at £6-800.

Anyone fancy opening a museum somewhere cheap for six months, filling it with undesirable old shite in knackered condition, operating as a tax loss, hyping up the closure after we've milked the benefits of tax loss and selling the wrecks (oops, classics) in a no reserve auction we manage to publicise well?

she bought it on spec - having come along just for the caravan! The one you decried and said was worth £2k and that I said was worth at least £10k. I hope she didn't hear all of our conversation about it ...

If she did hear me she ignored me completely!

She was planning to offer both the caravan and bus for wedding hire!