(DIY Service?) CRV MOT success!

stephen01

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems the carpets have been getting a little damp in the CRV, I thought this was a leak from blocked drain holes, but I'm 99% sure it's from the sunroof being left open a smidge over winter. with the carpets and foam soaked, it was time to go to town on it and get the carpet out ready for cleaning /  drying. 

post-4612-0-96214000-1554722322_thumb.jpeg

nearly 3 hours from start to finish, seats are back in and no airbag lights thankfully! Currently driving around with no carpets! 

Did you have any luck with finding the leak? My dads crv has always had a slight leak, occasionally dropping water from the light behind the interior mirror.

I’ve yet to find the cause, sun roof drains seem clear after firing some pipe cleaner down them

Don't know if they fixed it in the MK2s but the Mk1s had a howler of a design flaw which meant that any water making its way past the seal round the plastic trim at the base of the screen would collect on a lip on the bulkhead and as soon as the car turned left, all the water would gush down through the heater inlet vent, soaking the driver's footwell.

Great cars CRVs, but they're often  a long way from being water tight.

I’m 99% sure it was from the sunroof being open slightly over winter, never had any issues in nearly 7 years of ownership!

Carpet has had a good hoovering, and clean. All the bits of foam insulation are drying, got to get put back together as we’re away Saturday!

• 1 month later...

All the carpet went back in last month, Much better and the floor seems to be dry still, thankfully. 

it's needed new front shocks for a while now, these just seem stupid expensive but I managed to get two TRW's from https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/  for a reasonable sum, so I had two new springs also! All fitted and it now feels like a new car. while I was on a roll I had two new front tyres as they were not great. Opted for 'Autogreen' tyres purchased from https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ and fitted by national tyres. I've been having tyres fitted by national for years and never really had an issue with them, never quoting for extra work etc but they have fell by the way side this time, so much so that I'll not be using them again sadly.  The tyres, which are a budget brand, seem more than up to the job and as no matter what brand I seem to have wears out in 12 months or 10-12k anyway. apart from the Uniroyal Rain Expert. They did about 6k and were fucked. These @ £100 fitted for 2 x 215 /55 /16 so not so bad if I get 12 months out of them. 

Fitted the dash cam and washed it yesterday, for a 12 year old barg with 190k it's in fantastic nick. hopefully just have to put diesel in for the next 12 months now!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, stephen01 said:

for a 12 year old barg with 190k it's in fantastic nick. hopefully just have to put diesel in for the next 12 months now!

I had to say something, We have been greeted with the battery light on the last couple of days and the alternator sounds like a super charger from a cooper S, out with the volt meter and we seem to not be getting any charge @ the battery. still had a 20 mile drive home with the trailer. I suspect the alternator bearings as every now and then it stops grumbling and we have charge!

the alternator is buried on this engine, cant just be nice and accessible..  

it's the diesel, it died the weekend, nearly 7 years and my actual 1st ever FTP, Started okay and then as I rolled back about 5 various fault lights lit up, thought I'd just do the old windows reset, turn it off and on again, dead. 

Started taking bits off to get to the alternator yesterday, what a pain in the arse. I think I need to buy some extra long spanners, 12mm for the bottom brackets, you can just about get to them from under the car, but not enough to get any purchase on to crack the bolt. I can see why garages have quoted over £300 for the job, I can also see why decent cars get scrapped for a couple of jobs. 

Well the YouTube videos clearly tell lies, 'I'll just wiggle' this out, utter utter bollocks. the alternator is free from the car in the sense it's no longer connected to the car but it's well and truly trapped , radiator off would be helpful, but there's still a A/C pipe in the way, I think my easiest option is to remove the EGR valve and pipe, started to take this off last night and managed to round a nut, picking up this later https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bolt-nut-remover-set-6-pcs/6083d#product_additional_details_container very very good reviews so hopefully I'll have it off and get the alternator taken to be refurbished. 

Small update, 

The nut remover from Screwfix is by far the best £13 I've spent on tools lately. Cracked it off with zero issues. Once the EGR was unbolted I still had to move another bracket that was in the way of the EGR coming out! Thankfully this was just 3 more 12mm bolts. 

New alternator slotted in, and bolted up, belt back on and the other million nuts and bolts and we have a running car again. Total time spent is probably 5 - 6 hours, FFS, but I reckon I could do it in half that now I know where and how things go. 

I'm sure it's in my mind but the car does seem much quieter while running.  

This is the only picture I have from the swap, hats off to you good folk who work on cars, take pictures & document it for us all to read, 

image.thumb.png.76f4d01c0638898b6e521a2c8263ace6.png

• 1 month later...

Treated the Honda to 5 and a 1/2 litres of fresh 5w30 oil, new oil and air filter the weekend. approx. 192k. 

For anyone that reads this, we've had a 'clunk' while driving for what seems like an age, after having the car checked again the rear ant roll bar seem to be past their best, nothing flagged up at MOT's but I've ordered two new ones and will try and get these fitted before holiday starts on Friday. 

The MOT expired last December, I'll be honest I've been putting it off because I'm a knob and my normal garage who I've been using for over 10+ years has not been great the last couple of times, his work is not being called into question that's always good, his general lack of speed and urgency has started to grate, a lot of his regulars are retired and can cope with no car for another day or having to wait an extra week because he's taken on too much work, not ideal for me when I have to arrange lifts and walk with a two year old.

The above has led me to find a new garage, recommended by a friend, proper old school 'back street garage' the garage that MOT'd the wife's C4 last week which flew through. The guy seems honest enough and has MOT'd the Honda today, failed on Track Rod, and rear bulb, I was expecting a fail but not on that!

Should have the Honda back tomorrow and I'll speak with him about my couple of arears for concern, 

1, rear spring, I thought it needed replacing.

2, front suspension arm, again I think rubbers are knackered 

I also had a couple of 'part worns' fitted on the rear, not overly impressed as one tyre is dated 2013. 

With the car nearing 197k I may well treat it to a decent set of tyres in the summer..

• 6 months later...

There is a ongoing theme with when i service the Honda, and it ties in with going on Holidays! 

We had grand plans, like many, this year, and many thousands of pounds have been spent on holidays that we are waiting to get back. We are assured that Virgin are in the process of sending our money back. We have however also booked to go to DLP -  Disney Land Paris, this weekend, normally we'd drive in and have an afternoon around Paris etc, but we have opted to do the Eurostar down, this takes us straight into the station at DLP. I still have to drive down to London so with this in mind I cracked out the oil etc and set about giving the old girl a good seeing too.

Oil1.thumb.jpeg.1fa605b5b482fccff7e777fbd3efa8df.jpeg

New Hengst filter, not used these before, made in Germany and seem well made. 

Oil2.thumb.jpeg.ff1700846cf64bf9d9aa81f3b3dd76e0.jpeg

My funnel was no where to be found so I improvised. 5.5l of 5w30. 

Pollen.thumb.jpeg.aad56f617fae808e7b038c92cc996eed.jpeg

It's been a couple of years since I changed the pollen filters, safe to say they needed doing. Crossland filters came out and some random ones gone back in, crossland seem to be much better made so will mark this to be changed again at next driving holiday. 

I went to change the air filter and it was honestly brand new, in fact I'd have struggled to tell you which was the old one and which was the new one so I've kept it for next time.

The new looking air filter made me look back and I realised that I've done about 4.5k since I last did the oil/ filter etc back in August last year.  Lockdown has meant we've not been going anywhere as a family and home working has meant that I've been using the wifes car. So much so it'd  had been 3 months at one point that I'd even been in the Honda. 

This morning I dropped it off at the garage for new rear shocks and springs, front suspension arm rubbers and ball joints. Ball joints were done about 3 years ago but as an advisory I'm having them changed again, this will be all new suspension over the last 12 /18 months now.

On 12/13/2016 at 3:48 PM, vaughant said:

I'm currently contracting in Honda through my own ltd company as production support (maintenance) and I will say their attention to quality is pretty impressive, almost obsessive, very very tight tolerances and every process is check, overcheck and QA 100% of the parts.

Dredging up an old quote I know, but just seen it now. My experience has been the same although not dealing with Honda directly but with their suppliers. We used to heat treat parts (not too far from Swindon) for toolmakers, and from time to time the steel would not reach the required hardness so we'd call the customer and ask whether they'd accept it as is. Most of the time they would be OK, assuming only slightly below spec. But sometimes the response came back "This is for Honda, so it needs to be right!"

Picked this back up from the garage today, they had a *fun time swapping the rear shocks, I’ve read that it can be a bit of a bastard. Also swapped the front suspension arm rubbers, he said the balljoints were fine so didn’t change them. 

It’s 100% better, and it’s no longer knocking and cluncking over every bump and lump 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been looking at the new MG HS, what a bloody car for the money, honestly it’s absolutely fantastic. I test drove one a couple of weeks ago and was not disappointed In the slightest. 

The reason for my rambling? My bloody Honda which has been my most favourite car, most useful, most used, most faithful, most reliable car I’ve ever owned is still bastard clunking ☹️

Suspension arm rubber appears to have separated, I know they weren’t expensive but I’d have expected more than the 550 miles I’ve done. The rubber is also shredded on the balljoint. Overall I’m having a grump on the car as it’s still fucking clunking. 

96674A92-96C5-47DA-9EB1-15B68E099C34.thumb.jpeg.6d3d5a5c4cf38adb692962c2cf404f7a.jpeg

honestly this MG is starting to look Even more tempting.. 

03599E67-6EE1-48FC-9597-719A907BC581.thumb.jpeg.38aa55b95d9841a2d25a8a69231e76ff.jpeg

34 minutes ago, stephen01 said:

Suspension arm rubber appears to have separated, I know they weren’t expensive but I’d have expected more than the 550 miles I’ve done. The rubber is also shredded on the balljoint. Overall I’m having a grump on the car as it’s still fucking clunking. 

96674A92-96C5-47DA-9EB1-15B68E099C34.thumb.jpeg.6d3d5a5c4cf38adb692962c2cf404f7a.jpeg

honestly this MG is starting to look Even more tempting.. 

03599E67-6EE1-48FC-9597-719A907BC581.thumb.jpeg.38aa55b95d9841a2d25a8a69231e76ff.jpeg

Might that issue be incorrect fitting?. I don't know if there has to be weight on the road wheels before the nuts are torqued up. 

I would suspect the parts have been fitted and the wheels hanging down from a lift. 

Were quality parts used or ebay specials? I'd be taking it back if a garage did it.

Not eBay specials, but not overly expensive, the bloody problem is I’ve had them for about 12 months kicking about before I got them sorted. 

I’m sure they’d have had the wheels off to do the job, just for ease. The mechanic did say they were soft rubber, and not to expect more than a couple of years out of them. I’ve priced up poly bushes, £150 for bits. I’m tempted I really am. 

• 1 month later...

I'd finally had enough of the clunk and with a decent bonus from work in the offing I decided to have some super pro bushes and new ball joints fitted, Super pro were recommended by the garage. I don't generally recommend a garage but the guys at https://en-gb.facebook.com/hondarhq/  really do deserve a shout out! 

image.thumb.png.e77cc7d41b873a1afafc6f22c9fefc77.png

image.thumb.png.5fe9e7a343441089826a26fb9c95c6f7.png

Picked it up Saturday and it feels like new again, like when I got the car, the Honda is my favourite car to drive again, ZERO clunks, and more than anything I 100% trust the work that has been carried out. 

I have a couple of stupid issues that need sorting out, such as the rear light is cracked and a rubber house off the airbox is split but I'm very much back in love with my Honda. 

• stephen01 changed the title to (DIY Service?) CRV First ever FTP

Yesterday on the way to the Dr's I had my first actual breakdown, clutch just hit the floor and no pressure behind it, popped the bonnet and clutch fluid squirting from somewhere and made a bit of a mess, thankfully I'm in the RAC so it was recovered. I did tell the call centre staff that it was a 4x4 so needed a flatbed and would not be able to fix it at the side of the road, they still sent a  guy in a van, who after 20 mins decided it needed picking up. 

RAC cover was pretty good TBF, taxis, onward travel, drop it off at my garage of choice, I even have the option of a hire car for 24 hours if I wanted, I've opted not to take that as I'm not sure it worth the hassle, great if I was hundreds of miles from home but I was 3. 

Car is now on it's way to Honda HQ. 

image.thumb.png.f9aea2e71c3160cf8c36edfab28e12d9.png

The guys at Honda HQ pulled it out the bag, car was dropped off to them yesterday and I picked it up this morning, fixed. 

2nd hand clutch master cylinder fitted, clutch feels like new and the bit is lower than previous, i nearly put it into a nice TypeR!  it must have been on its way for a while, thankfully it happened close to home and not in a couple of weeks when I go to Scotland! 

Edited by stephen01
Pic Link Broken

• 2 months later...