Help!!

garycox

I'm on my way back from Shitefest and something has happened to the turbo on the 405... I was accelerating to overtake something and it sort of 'popped' and the turbo is now not working.

Seems to be spinning and that but there is now just a whooshing found where there once was performance. Seems like a pipe may have popped off but I can't even see where the bastard turbo is (buried at the back of the engine I guess?) let alone check anything.

I'm sitting at some services on the M4 with 150 miles to go.

My question is, if I drive it home NA as it is, will it be OK, or should I phone the AA to prevent me buggering anything up further?

Almost certainly the pipe has come off the turbo. It's right down the back of the engine. I had this on my Pug 306 after a main dealer changed the head gasket. Useless arses. VERY fiddly, but possible. There should just be a hose clip.

Carrying on with no turbo shouldn't be too much of a problem on a lovely old school diesel.

Because I know nothing about anything, my main concerns are that I might damage the turbo or something else or the oil might fall out or whatever.

If I can just drive home with no turbo and it'll have no other effects then I will...

Almost certainly the pipe has come off the turbo. It's right down the back of the engine. I had this on my Pug 306 after a main dealer changed the head gasket. Useless arses. VERY fiddly, but possible. There should just be a hose clip.

Carrying on with no turbo shouldn't be too much of a problem on a lovely old school diesel.

Agreed. Carry on as normal but slowly. Sounds like a burst/holed pipe.

If it was me I'd try and keep it out of the rev range where the turbo kicks in- on the BX this is from about 3000rpm. Otherwise you may get excessive fuelling. Probably wouldn't do any damage but may cause excessive schmokieness. 

DISCLAIMER: Completely amateur advice. As you were.