Le Mans - A place where you can see heroes weep

Junkman

It's already this time of the year.

Preliminary entry list is here: http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers/1/1/ressources/Pdf/2015/24-heures-du-mans/entry-list-24-heures-du-mans-2015.pdf

Looks like Porsche is back with three LMP1s.

Those new Datsuns look like right old shite to me:

2015-02-01-nissan-gt-lm-nismo-08.jpg

This year's event will also mark the 60th anniversary of the worst accident in motorsport history.
Let's hope the death toll will be smaller this time.

I'm not going this year but will be watching online. Looks to be a good race in P1. P2 has some FIT cars this year. I used to be a huge fan of GT, but since they disbanded GT1 and GT2 for GTE AM and PRO it seems to have lost my interest a bit.

Full race is now shown live on Eurosport. Live commentary in English is on Radio Le Mans and is better than the Eurosport commentary, also broadcast online: http://www.radiolemans.com/

There will also be the usual livestream on the Aldi website and both Team Corvette cars will have their traditional dashcams, which is ace during the night.

I IZ ENVY of Panhard65, but wishing for the weather being shitty is in no relation to this.

We haven't had a rainy LeMans since when? 2001?

Also, it looks like the Porsches threw the quickest times onto the bitumen so far.

The Sloth has looked into the depths of his bowl and predicts these events.

Porsche to get pole

Audi to win the race

Toyota to pray that the other 2 fail

Nissan to be packed up after 12 hours

GT victory for Ferrari

LMP2 is anybody's guess

Genetically I must back Team ByKOLLES, of course, but otherwise you might be not far off the truth apart from that I seriously doubt a Ferrari win.

Massive fan of Le Mans here. Had plans to go next year for an early 30th birthday trip, but I believe my oldest friend has somewhat inconveniently chosen the most likely weekend to get married, the swine!

As I can't watch any of the live coverage this year I'm planning on taking Monday and Tuesday off to watch as much of the race as I can handle.

I think Sloth has the LMP1 predictions pretty much covered, Pork on Pole, Aldi at the finish, Toyota complain about budget constraints, and the mostly front wheel drive Datsuns will #eatsleepbreakrepeat. LMP2 will be a case of blind luck, and I'll be cheering the Dodge Viper (and fan favourite Jeroen Bleekemolen) in the GTs.

I'm going this year too with some race-mad friends, catching the ferry from Plymouth on Tuesday and staying at Porsche Curve (?). Never paid any attention to Le Mans so not sure what to expect but should be a good few days.

If you are interested in getting into the ACO viewing areas give me a shout. I have been a member for years and can get a few guests in at 15 euro a head. They have one by the Dunlop bridge and one near the pit entrance. They can get a bit crowded but it's somewhere out of the sun/rain. They also have free wi-fi. I am on the poole Cherbourg boat tuesday morning. We will have the caravan set up on what to me is the best campsite Houx. The event has improved over the years in some ways but it isn't quite the same at the fair now they have got rid of the strippers and the shooting range with a chance to win an AK47. The police have started to do their job now as well so mad Friday isn't quite as mad.

We haven't had a rainy LeMans since when? 2001?

From what I can remember on the years I have been:

It got a bit wet at times last year.

Absolutely pissed it down a couple of times in 2013 when Simonsen was killed, took out a lot of cars when it kept happening during the race and at the end when the other Aston wrecked - didn't go that year, but Simonsen's death makes it stick in my mind.

2012 pretty wet at times. Lower campsites were quagmires.

2010 freezing cold but dry.

Some of my 2009 pics look pretty wet.

2007 was utterly biblical, like, ridiculous rain like I've never seen before. Tents being washed away, gazebos being blown away and breaking under the weight of rain, rivers of water running across the upper campsites, cars stuck in mud everywhere. None of the race cars could take it because the water was getting in and killing the electrics etc. Only about half actually finished and quite a lot of the race was sat behind the safety car which in itself was also killing the race cars. Like I said, it was ridiculous!

2004-2006 were scorchers.

2002 quite hot.

I'll be there yet again if elderly Vw's or Bm are willing, which car goes depends whether 3rd member of crew booked on ferry gets in touch.... Hull to Zeebrugge Wed night, camping at a private house at the Porsche Curves again.

If I had to go in main campsite I wouldn't be back, too many selfish wankers ruined it down the years for me.

Were Nissan the only people surprised to see front wheel drive racing cars are slow?

If you are interested in getting into the ACO viewing areas give me a shout. I have been a member for years and can get a few guests in at 15 euro a head. They have one by the Dunlop bridge and one near the pit entrance. They can get a bit crowded but it's somewhere out of the sun/rain. They also have free wi-fi. I am on the poole Cherbourg boat tuesday morning. We will have the caravan set up on what to me is the best campsite Houx. The event has improved over the years in some ways but it isn't quite the same at the fair now they have got rid of the strippers and the shooting range with a chance to win an AK47. The police have started to do their job now as well so mad Friday isn't quite as mad.

That's a kind offer, thank you.  I'll ask them, there's only 4 of us, I'm mostly along just to see what it's like, they'll know more about it as it doesn't mean much to me but it sounds good.  

I'm a tad apprehensive as most of what I've been told about past events seems to centre around getting drunk which is not my scene.  Hoping I can avoid all that and just enjoy the event.

My best memory of the Le mans classic was in 2008, on the start finish line at a bout 1 o'clock in the morning with me and maybe a dozen other people there.

The rolling grid for the pre-WW2 class sets off on their night race. Epic sounds, shapes and lights from front of the grid to the back.

This year I'm going to the main event for the first time. 

Twice I've been returning to England when there's been a Le Mans weekend on, and the convoy on the other side of the motorway looks like fun! I'd probably be more interested in the Classic event next year, as I understand it's less about the drinking and more about the event. Not that I have anything against drinking, just that after an unfortunate (threatening) incident at Santa Pod, I feel a little wary!

There is a LOT of drinking shitty beer out of little green bottles. BUT there is no need to do so.

You can either abstain completely and just have a nice BBQ. Or you can get yourself a decent bottle of wine for rock bottom prices and chill out.

I think there is a race on too mind. You could try and watch that.

In seriousness, though things like mad Friday, and the post race lash ups in the camp site tend to be the stories that people report back the racing is fantastic, and well worth the visit. Some of my favourite memories of Le Mans are in the early hours watching the cars come into the big braking zones and watching the discs glowing red. Or hearing the corvettes tearing down a straight, being passed like they aren't moving by a hybrid you can barely tell is there.

You'll have a great time I'm sure. One thing that's always great is the driver parade/meet and great in Le Mans itself for scrutineering..

It has certainly got a lot better with the amount of drunks now. They have banned glass bottles inside the circuit and Houx is very civilized now, there are even women there now !!!!! It all depends on the Campsite. When I first started going in '98 there was a big gang of us and some serious drinking going on with lots of drink driving and idiots. It was never too bad on Houx but from '04 to '06 I stayed on Beausejour it was a totally different site full of arseholes who thought it was sensible to spend the whole night roaring round the campsite playing rallycross in their 911. The danes are the serious drinkers but never any real trouble and the British drunken thugs are usually too scared to say anything. The racing is what it is all about though even if it isn't as noisey as it used to be. The Panoz was very distinctive going down the Mulsanne.

^ That's only because Porsche put down their ridiculous qualifying times.

Posted this on another forum but it'll be helpful here. See the Couch Kit for streaming info:

TIMES

Race starts at 2pm Saturday UK time = 3pm French time. Race finishes at 2pm Sunday UK time = 3pm French time.

LIVE TIMING

http://www.fiawec.com

LIVE COMMENTARY

BEST online commentary is Radio Le Mans: http://www.radiolemans.com/

LIVE VIDEO

Full race is shown live on Eurosport in Europe, Fox Sports in USA and LETV in China. Eurosport can be viewed online for £5.99 but it's well recognised that it can be touch and go and ironically the hijacked feeds can be more reliable and use less data.

UK has the first couple of hours on Quest from 1:30pm Saturday, channel 37 on Freeview, highlights at 7am on Sunday, and the final hour of the race.

There is the ACO app for ios and android for a small fee. Not tried it but a few forum members said they had problems during the other WEC races.

COUCH KIT

Reilly Brennan's Couch Kit always has good resources. the 2014 version had links to all 14 in-car feeds from the teams so hopefully they will update this page as they become available: http://reillybrennan.com/post/120465643925/2015-24-hours-of-le-mans-couch-kit-streaming

Nissans aren't running their Hybrids is what I've heard. They're installed but not being used as they're causing something else to break.

Still have to conform to the fuel flow regs for their level of electrickery though.

In any case it won't make too much difference where they start, they'll be past much of the LMP2 grid by about the end of the 3rd lap.

Toyota are playing the tortoise role, the role that Audi usually play, and Porsche are playing the hare, the role that Toyota usually play.

Can't wait to watch the race when I get back from my (stupid stupid) double booking.

Seems you need to buy Eurosport player access for £5.99 a month to get full race footage, which I'd be prepared to do (albeit I'd probably mute it and listen to Radio Le Mans instead) but the flash new Player website they launched three days ago doesn't seem to be processing payments, so you can't. Sodding thing. I've got the house to myself all day, absolutely zero plans and a need to do absolutely naff all. Perfect Le Mans conditions!

Batting for kinda Renault here, because. The Nissan engines sound sweet though, so other half is batting for namesake Morgan-Nissan. Same engine, very different chassis.

No work tonight, so happy times. I'm going to try and stream some video, but Radio LM will be on TuneIn for the duration.