Greek Island Shitorama

nebuchenezer

Pretty poor pickings this time - most old stuff has been replaced by generic smol things of newness

Saw this which brought back fond memories of being scared utterly shitless in standing water due to fucked suspension:

waFSvAD.jpg

Freshlygrown Santorinian toms with ouzo - just lush:

WarUVAW.jpg

Shite excavator cleaning* the beach at Kamari:

vtlEUjU.jpg

But this.... Just OOOOOOOFF!

gqTUnQl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'll stand correction on this but it's rhd and looks like a WWII Bedford QL.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180611_111726.jpg

Belmont anybody.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180611_162000.jpg

Even the transfer coaches aren't that new.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180611_170906.jpg

Stand corrected sir, It's a short wheelbase Ford Canada. I owned one in Portugal for a few years. Used all over the world during WW2.

I remember those WW2 trucks, they were very common here in the 50's. They were a generic design and wore the badge of whichever maker had built it. A lot here were either Chevrolet or Ford. The forestry contractors loved them. IIRC many were 4wd.

EDIT: memory is failing ? It seems they were all Chevvys and called the "Canadian Military Pattern".

post-2915-0-63721800-1529880662_thumb.jpg

I remember those WW2 trucks, they were very common here in the 50's. They were a generic design and wore the badge of whichever maker had built it. A lot here were either Chevrolet or Ford. The forestry contractors loved them. IIRC many were 4wd.

EDIT: memory is failing ? It seems they were all Chevvys and called the "Canadian Military Pattern".

attachicon.giftransport-to-rangitoto-from-motutapu.jpg

That's a nice short wheel base one. I had a long wheel base ,that I bought from the Fire Brigade For 1000 Euro paper. 

If any one's interested I  could drone on about these trucks for a bit. I'm not sure when production started but my one was from 1938, so not just made for the war. The Chevy engined one was built in America and the Ford engined in Canada. 

The one I had had been bought by the Portuguese Army, along with several others, in the early 50's. Then given to the fire brigade who had it until it got shunted to the back and shown the door.

Might put a bit more up if anyone IS interested but I'm off to bed coz of getting up shit.

^^ They were a 4 pot petrol, generally, but Chevroulette did a 6. A 2 litre 4 pot and a 3.5 litre 6, I seem to remember, but could be wrong. As far as I know they were all 4x4's.

The winches were brilliant. There were roller guides front and back and it worked off the gearbox, so all 4 wheels drove in conjunction with the winch. As long as there was a convenient tree within reach you were sorted. A bit of a challenge in North Africa during the war, I suppose.

Performance was somewhat limited. The one I had had been converted to a 6 pot Perkins. Maximum speed a teeth jarring, bone shaking 35mph. It might have been possible to get to 40 but I didn't dare. Unassisted everything, brakes, clutch, steering. The gearbox was, of course, of the crash selection method. Standing still you couldn't turn the steering wheel. The guy's who drove these things, for possibly hours, must have had arms and legs like Popeye, and a big fat ass would've helped a lot. It had a bucket seat that could originally have been a bucket. Metal and the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in. Respect to WW2 drivers.

Had mine for a couple of years, coincidently very dry ones, and made a bit of dosh transporting 3500 litres of water to various people who had run out, for veg plots and gardens, and flogged it for 2000 eurios.

• 3 months later...

^^ They were a 4 pot petrol, generally, but Chevroulette did a 6. A 2 litre 4 pot and a 3.5 litre 6, I seem to remember, but could be wrong. As far as I know they were all 4x4's.

The winches were brilliant. There were roller guides front and back and it worked off the gearbox, so all 4 wheels drove in conjunction with the winch. As long as there was a convenient tree within reach you were sorted. A bit of a challenge in North Africa during the war, I suppose.

Performance was somewhat limited. The one I had had been converted to a 6 pot Perkins. Maximum speed a teeth jarring, bone shaking 35mph. It might have been possible to get to 40 but I didn't dare. Unassisted everything, brakes, clutch, steering. The gearbox was, of course, of the crash selection method. Standing still you couldn't turn the steering wheel. The guy's who drove these things, for possibly hours, must have had arms and legs like Popeye, and a big fat ass would've helped a lot. It had a bucket seat that could originally have been a bucket. Metal and the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in. Respect to WW2 drivers.

Had mine for a couple of years, coincidently very dry ones, and made a bit of dosh transporting 3500 litres of water to various people who had run out, for veg plots and gardens, and flogged it for 2000 eurios.

Got any photos please?

The one I had had been bought by the Portuguese Army, along with several others, in the early 50's. Then given to the fire brigade who had it until it got shunted to the back and shown the door.

Might put a bit more up if anyone IS interested but I'm off to bed coz of getting up shit.

Are you kidding?

• 7 months later...

So the 2019 holiday season is here. It's time to post your holiday pics, so let's start with what I've managed to see in Corfu during the last week 

Next door to Mrs BMHs mates villa (taken over the fence).

IMG_20190510_122044.thumb.jpg.993e19933eb73b66477880ddd49070ba.jpg

Hiding in the undergrowth

IMG_20190510_174056.thumb.jpg.91e68b38418d0ca78fac7b8188035aa3.jpg

Still in use.

IMG_20190511_120858.thumb.jpg.b0897977dce966e8c866e2751ff9d34f.jpg

I'm at that age where these should be painted two shades of green, have a slightly flatter radiator and little Waffen SS flags on the flagpoles on the wings.

IMG_20190511_135550.thumb.jpg.f469edabd7343216ca9deb0154f056f6.jpg

Fancy something heavier duty to rescue?

Come on down ..IMG_20190511_140917.thumb.jpg.bebd6ffb1eae5a5742d3c0c2bd9db468.jpg

Just behind this was this.

IMG_20190511_140938.thumb.jpg.f19af05ff6cb4c4bc5acec6e3f3424aa.jpg

Living the dream.

IMG_20190511_144002.thumb.jpg.583b3548b160980a3d8b860fbe07060a.jpg

That boys and girls is all I managed during my early May trip to Corfu.

When we went to Kefalonia, around 1990, the luggage was transported from the plane to the "terminal building" (shed) by a tractor with a big trailer attached. It was piled really high and looked precarious, but nothing ever seemed to fall off.

Its a lovely place, and one of the few I would like to revisit. Hope tourism hasn't spoilt it in the intervening years.

Locals favourite method of transporting goods was a small van type thing at the back and what looked like a rotovator at the front, with a wheel where the blades should be.

• 3 weeks later...