OHH DA HORROR -- 100 ugliest cars of EVAH!

hauserplenty

Fiat. Probably cos of Yanks, though...

Seems it was part of a range built by Fiat, as explained on the web site.

"ESV - Experimental Safety Vehicle prototypes

fl_en.gif

The E.S.V. (Experimental Safety Vehicle) were prototypes built subsequently to a contest banished by the American NHSB (National Highway Safety Bureau) in the 1971. The greatest difficulty of the project consisted in the resistance of the car to the proofs of bump without reaching enormous weights. For this the vehicles were divided in different categories of weight in pounds." 

Glad that's clear now.1972%E2%80%9373_Fiat_ESV_1500_Prototyp_0

1973%E2%80%9374_Fiat_ESV_2000_Prototyp_0

1973%E2%80%9374_Fiat_ESV_2500_Prototyp_0

The first of those ESV'S looks ok actually. Maybe autonomous cars will have bumpers like those so they can just bounce off obstacles, turn 90 deg. any old way and just resume traveling. As for "resistance to proofs of bump", well...I guess a good way to spot a time machine would be to look for this numberplate:

BO11 UXD

...though the format might be incorrect...

Never let it be said that Britain wasn't the equal of the Italians in making ugly yellow safety cars in the 70's.

post-17414-0-62753700-1432823254_thumb.jpg

post-17414-0-62188500-1432823282_thumb.jpgpost-17414-0-53977100-1432823361_thumb.jpg

All seem to be Dunlop Denovo's which were available on production BL products long before BMW saw the benefit of saving the cost of a spare, jack and wheel brace on every car sold.

The low fronts predates the current pedestrian safety requirements by a couple of decades as well.

But those crazy rubber bumpers on the MGB, who in 1972 thought that anything as ugly as that would end up on a production car........

It's deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra once said. If nothing else, perhaps this goes to the pointlessness of judging books by covers, as I once did with the Nissan Joke...until I drove one. Car design is such a subjective thing anyway. If we as Autoshiters can agree to disagree about anything, perhaps it would be: "One man's shite is another's shit."

With that, I never liked the Pontiac Aztek, nor could I be convinced. The Buick Rendezvous ticks more of my boxes.

fl_en.gif

The E.S.V. (Experimental Safety Vehicle) were prototypes built subsequently to a contest banished by the American NHSB (National Highway Safety Bureau) in the 1971. The greatest difficulty of the project consisted in the resistance of the car to the proofs of bump without reaching enormous weights. For this the vehicles were divided in different categories of weight in pounds." 

Does anyone else see a bit of an FSO Polonez in here?

But those crazy rubber bumpers on the MGB, who in 1972 thought that anything as ugly as that would end up on a production car........

Wasn't that done to meet US regs, though? A bit like the Morris Minor's headlamps being moved upwards. The Leyland Marina cum TR7 contraption doesn't actually look bad!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/100-ugliest-cars-of-all-time/ss-AAbzZxl#image=7

...an icon of English decline??

Did it really have a square steering wheel?

I think it looks kinda cool. The ride height on the example pictured seems well suited to choppy roads as well.

Looks better than a Chevette, anyway.

With cheap entry-level cars, styling seems to take a back seat.

fl_en.gif

Glad that's clear now.1972%E2%80%9373_Fiat_ESV_1500_Prototyp_0

1973%E2%80%9374_Fiat_ESV_2000_Prototyp_0

Does anyone else see a bit of an FSO Polonez in here?

Yes, a bit, but I think the middle one (127 based) looks even more FSOish.