Best breakdown cover?

320touring

Regarding breakdown cover, just pretend you're in an Arabian Souq. They start with a ridiculous offer, so you start with using £sd.

I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see what the script is, and cancelling the dd on sat if not playing ball:)

I'm looking into getting breakdown and recovery too before shitefest as you never know. I can't seem to find one though that does relate to take you home unless I have home start. If the bloody thing wont start at home ill fix there! Also I see the companies are doing a thing where I pay an excess and they pay the repairs up to £500. Is that worth having or will they find a clause to get out of paying for something on a 15 year old punto?

I've just renewed my AA cover for £13 per month and that was after negotiating with them. That's roadside and relay. I have been with them for years. I struggled to find anyone cheaper. My AA cover covers me but any "cover the car policies" went through the roof when I told them what cars I owned!

They do try offering you lots of add-ons like courtesy cars Etc.

They offered me repair costs up to £500 and were happy to cover even repairing a Talbot Horizon. But I decided against that.

I'm with GEM motoring assist, £80 or so a year, includes homestart, relay etc. also, quidco.

They've never asked me what cars I have or anything else, they've relayed me home from Poole before and rescued my broken 35yr old Lancia when the fuel pump died.

I am with swintons £12 a month for any car roadside and recovery, that also includes Europe. They were excellent when we broke down in France but total shit when a Range Rover overheated on the M5. They also limit the number of call outs per year and don't tell you until you have reached it and breakdown.

Have been with AA for donkeys. They are not cheap but have never let me down. Recovering my Granada from Poitiers, giving me a Renault Seasick for a week and allowing me to bring it home was worth at least a couple of year's membership. I went to one of the insurer's systems for a year once where they contract local garages. When my Zephyr 6 threw a rod on the M3 they sent out a bloke in a Renault 5 with a toolbox. AA ever since....

I'm with this company - http://www.startrescue.co.uk/annual-breakdown-cover

They are a 'proper' breakdown company, not 'you pay first then claim back' and their prices seem quite reasonable (about 1/2 the cost of equivalent cover from RAC / AA etc). Been with them for about 6 months so far, had to use them once, about a week after taking out cover with them & the service was good. They sub contract recovery to a local company, gave me a courtesy call to let me know the recovery agent was en route & gave an ETA.

With the increased competition nowdays, I dont know how RAC, AA etc can charge a premium for what is essentially the same service that can be found much cheaper elsewhere.

These days I normally get my breakdown cover thrown in with the insurance. It is basically since they've all started doing this that the rates for the AA etc have been creeping up. I usually budget for around one major breakdown per year and I've been fairly consistent with this so I've used a few tow trucks over the years. I'd say from my experiences that direct with the AA (or RAC etc) has been the most straightforward. The breakdown that comes with your insurance can be a bit of a mixed experience when they use local firms - they often don't communicate very well and won't take you the whole distance, so you get dropped at a motorway services and you wait for another truck for the final part of the journey. I think you do get what you pay for.

Another vote for gem motoring assist. Me and my dad is £90 for the year, we live miles away from each other and have both had our money's worth over the years. Always recovered within an hour by the nearest local firm, apart from one time where I had to wait for the right truck due to my car being too low to get on a normal one. one of the few companies / agencies I have had to deal with that I have nothing but praise for

Last year I hit a deer.  I called out the AA as really I wanted them to take the car home (I have AA Relay).  They refused because it was an accident and not a breakdown.

What would have happened if I had been with Autoaid ?

No idea,

I'll give them a ring...

...nice lady she say that,

'Auto-aid would ask that you first contact your insurance company to see if they want to recover it and if they don't,

ring back auto-aid who would then come out & recover you'.

As I say, I've not had to call them yet, but they appear to tick all the right boxes.

& it's only 40 quid - WCPGW?

I have had autoaid for sometime. I had an ftp earlier this year, the idea of autoaid is you pay the contractor and then claim it back from autoaid. When I asked for recovery the contractor sent out a van to see if he could get me going. He did, and didn't charge me a penny. I guess if I had been recovered it would have cost, so it's worth keeping that in mind.

Autoaid is only about £40. A week after I joined them I broke down in Wales in my Alfa in the middle of nowhere. They came and found me and recovered me all the way back to Leicester. I paid them £300 and claimed it back. I had the cheque within a week or two. They have also taken my Alfa (again) to a garage of my choice in Leicester. This time they didn't ask for payment but covered it themselves. Something about changing their policy so that when you breakdown more than 2 miles from home you don't have to pay and claim it back. I've been very happy with them. Of course everyone will have good and bad experiences with all the different companies. None if them are perfect but I'd rather not pay over the odds if I can help it.

...nice lady she say that,

'Auto-aid would ask that you first contact your insurance company to see if they want to recover it and if they don't,

ring back auto-aid who would then come out & recover you'.

As I say, I've not had to call them yet, but they appear to tick all the right boxes.

& it's only 40 quid - WCPGW?

I didn't want to ring my insurance company because I wanted to fix it myself without claiming or them having any record of an accident.  So it depends whether 'ask' is the same as 'require'.  In any case if you only have 3rd party and hit a deer there isn't much point calling them.

So with start rescue you don't have to mess about claiming money back etc its just sorted out there and then? That's one reason I've not bothered with these cheap outfits, banking on the (very) unlikely possibility I'd have £300 in my account to settle up with them in the first place.

The Autoaid way is so brilliant that I don't want anyone else to know about it in case I kill the golden goose.  Ã‚£41. Any car. Plus spouse. Plus hotel. Call out the garage of your choice or phone their operator and get them to send out the nearest one. I've claimed thrice in 8 years. Paid back immediately no questions asked. No change in premium. It's actually an insurance policy.