Restoration V Conservation

Leyland Lawrence

I've put this back on although i originally deleted it as someone has raised this recently on the open forum.

Anyway, I'm picking up a 1980 (V  is my favourite reg followed by A and then Y and X close behind) 1500 Spitfire this weekend in bright orange. It is a bit tired, front and rear valances scruffy, numerous little bits and pieces etc but it is amazingly original.

Original interior.

Original raised numberplates with the BL markings

Original purchase reciept, genuine FSH

Original key, original radio as fitted by the dealer

Just brilliant. It has had some welding, what car of that age hasn't and it generally needs a good overhaul but what do I do with the body? I could take it off the chassis and have it resprayed properly or, as a half way house I thought I could have it properly resprayed EXCEPT front and rear bonnets which would sport the original paint so that at least some of the paint was as genuinely saw the light of day back in 1980

post-5591-0-82526700-1431375280_thumb.jpg

Could you take the body off and just repair and respray the underside and valances?  I know the bodyshop won't want to but it your car so your choice.

If it was mine it would probably end up with a tidemark*.

*or more accurately if it was mine it would probably end up abandoned on the drive with no MOT because of some minor mechanical problem :(

Having once owned a spitfire, I'd just scrap it. Hateful POS was the one I had.

But in all seriousness, I'd be spending my money on rust proofing and making it go faster, handle better and stop shorter.

I'm thinking an Mx5 engine ?

Ah, makes sense now! I'd ask myself what sort of use I planned for it - as a daily(ish) driver my opinion is that it'll be more difficult keeping an already scruffy car from deteriorating more quickly. Which would push me into doing the front and rear valances at least - there's arguably less point to a full respray as in daily use you may start to worry/care about chips/dents etc after shelling out cash on a paint job.

If it's for summer weekend only use say (and is kept dry), then any deterioration will be slow so purely logically it makes equal sense to keep it patinaed, or tidy it up fully. Although personally speaking I'd keep it as it is, at least for as long as possible. I'm only going for a paint job on the Stellar as there is so little left of the original paintwork, plus it's been my 'dream' ever since I got it to make it look tidier.

Catsinwelder makes a really good suggestion.  Get everything that needs fixing fixed and touch the rest of the bodywork as little as possible.  Trouble is it's very easy to go from original survivor to tatty mess, you don't always get to choose an aesthetically pleasing preservation of the vehicle.

Do as little as possible to make it solid and good and see what you're left with.