Volvo 480ES 2.0 - UPDATE

garycox

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Breadvan72

My ingrate nephew for whom I was buying the Volvo has rejected the gift, so no go, I am afraid.  Even applying the most extreme form of Autoshite reasoning I cannot find the physical space, head space, and organisational effort to accommodate the car amongst my shitheaps.  Thus sadly I have had to pass, and am a bastard because I messed Gary around.

• 1 month later...

Posted in another thread, but my 480 2.0ES was bought for £550 and sold much later for £550. Little bit of bodywork TLC and someone with an eye for detail could have brought it very easily back up to a standard that would make it fetch £1k plus, especially now a few years later as they are probably even rarer.

It was utterly dependable. I spent a lot of time commuting A MILE to work DURING WINTER in it and this didn't even fuck anything up. It just...worked. Even after a day understeering around an airfield...

fe2sde.jpg

The 2.0 Renault 8v engine doesn't sound impressive (110hp) but the car is light (around a ton, if I remember correctly) and the 8v lump is wonderfully torquey.

I dare say if a raffle ever did happen in the near future with one of these which worked and had MOT I'd probably be taking a quiet punt.

Just posting the above to hopefully tip someone over the edge into committing to buying this to avoid it going to the scrappy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm collecting another car tomorrow (nothing interesting) and this is STILL sitting in the way. 

I really don't want to scrap or Ebay it though.

£100 takes it (which goes to my friend whose drive it's on...) but MUST BE COLLECTED (FROM LEWES, EAST SUSSEX) BY NEXT WEEKEND.

The general consensus from most people I've described the problem to is that it's more likely to be failure of an engine mount at the back of the engine causing mis-alignment rather than an actual gearbox fault.

None of these people (including me) have actually looked at it in any great detail though so no guarantees obvs. Seems plausible though.

Christ man that's a feeble reason to consider scrapping it, I'd be happy to chuck a tenner in for the diagnosis/repair just to help save the wee beauty,

Hows about a £5 raffle with some of the cash going covering repair and you keep the remainder ?