Archishite - garages and filling stations

forddeliveryboy

No it isn't.  When Practical Classics printed that (along with all the other press quoting the press release) I sent them a photo of the one that is only a couple of miles from me. Smaller but from the same series.  Can't find the photo at the moment but if I do I'll post it.

Yes it is. It's the last petrol station of its kind in the entire UK.

Yes it is. It's the last petrol station of its kind in the entire UK.

Except for the other one in Whetstone which I posted. Which is also a matching Noyes design for Mobil. And therefore contradicting whatever every article on the internet might say regarding 'the last one in the UK' by actually existing.

Unless you want to be pedantic by saying it is no longer a petrol station as such since it is now 'only' a garage and kitchen shop.  As architecture it could still be listed and might be according to andrew353.

I never realised how much I like this kind of thing until I read this thread earlier on.

A couple from me here, not up to the earlier standard but still probably worthy of note.

#1 is a place in Exmouth.  The inner child in me LOVES garages where you can literally drive right through the middle of the showroom into the bowels of the place.

post-19618-0-64007200-1433265407_thumb.png

#2 is near Sandy, very retro tilt on that roof.

post-19618-0-17747300-1433265483_thumb.png

Apologies for the google maps pics.  Couldn't find anything online.

Good video here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32974892

Britain's local service stations are disappearing, being replaced by supermarkets and big chains offering cheaper petrol and greater convenience.

Andrew Parker, a documentary photographer from Somerset, has set about capturing their simplistic beauty, and marking their passing. Some of the service stations he's photographed have already shut down.

He's not the first photographer to have a fascination in petrol pumps. Ed Ruscha's Twentysix Gasoline Stations (1963) is considered a classic of its kind.

Andrew's latest addition to his collection was in Upton on Severn. BBC News went along for the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

No it isn't.  When Practical Classics printed that (along with all the other press quoting the press release) I sent them a photo of the one that is only a couple of miles from me. Smaller but from the same series.  Can't find the photo at the moment but if I do I'll post it.

There's a 'waterlily' style garage like that in Alderley Edge - although I think it now sells bathrooms.

Haven't been there for years but I'll try to get a photo.

There's a lovely art deco garage in Selsdon near Croydon. Can't find a good picture of it but from the road it looks like an old cinema building. It has been boarded up like this for as long as I can remember:

That's just down the road from me. I'll get a photo next time I go past. 

post-16950-0-45498600-1434580696_thumb.jpg

post-16950-0-07629400-1434580733_thumb.jpg