Technology. when is enough?

the judge

I have just watched a you tube clip about the new 7 series. The fucker parks itself via the key when you hold down a button! So your 2015 already fat exec doesn't have to waste calories putting the motor away. Bone idle twats.

Thats not really whats is bit strange. I went to an rta on a certain bridge the other day,and there was a fairly minor smash. Everyone was ok,but i couldnt move the x1 blocking 2 lanes even though i had the keys. The car had lots of panel damage,but was in rolling condition. Only thing was,it had totally locked itsef up! Elec handbrake was solid,no start up,couldn't be pushed either. Struck me as taking a bit of choice from the owner,as the car had took a strop and wouldnt budge. (I imagine there is a simple button to press like a cut off switch,but it seemed a bit creepy that it wouldnt move its arse by owner commend.)

Which takes me back to the 7 series. That maps its location,anticipates road surface,and selects gearchanges,and likely steering ferocity etc etc. So it tracks itself basically and takes lots of choice out of your hands,if you wish,for now. Fucksake its a car!! Do we really need this shit? I pity the poor bastard who has to fix it in 10 years. Wont be us,will it??

Sorry to bore everyone,the tech is amazing,but come on,do we need all this caper? If efficiency,for example, was moving ahead like technology, surely cars should do 200 OMGMPG by now? Why can't i fucking sleep........

It was a slippery slope from when the starting handle was done away with..

Mind you, I drove a Toyota Auris Hybrid for a while, bought for £11k at one year old, and all the tech in that made the drive easy,and I averaged 60 mpg on local roads. I think Toyota are doing tech right in their Hybrids. Not exactly pretty though.

My ten year old KIA has everything I want, anything more is DO NOT WANT.

It has airbags and a 4 star NCAP but you can see out of it.

ABS

Conventional hydraulic PAS

Air con but with three knobs you can operate without looking

Central locking

CD player, player,player, player (Factory fit standard DIN JVC unit with ISO connectors, GR8 4 changing)

Fuel injection but no start/stop or excessive eco stuff

Adjustable intermittent wipers that do what you tell them to (not like the Fiat where IT wiped when IT wanted to)

I'd probably even do away with the rear discs for drums.

I hate getting into modern stuff that's binging and bonging and showing dash lights that I have no idea what they are, or when you're driving along and have to stop to find out which of the 900 really small buttons on the dash demist the window or how to use the feckin wipers.

Mind you, I drove a Toyota Auris Hybrid for a while, bought for £11k at one year old, and all the tech in that made the drive easy,and I averaged 60 mpg on local roads. I think Toyota are doing tech right in their Hybrids. Not exactly pretty though.

It'd be a lot better if Toyota - and other hybrid manufacturers could find a cleaner way of creating the technology.  

It will be interesting to see what features catch on and which are quietly dropped over the next few years. Some of them are (IMO) good, reasonable and safe, others leave me think why?

Parking sensors are my bugbear. If you can't manouver your car without bouncing off stuff, you probably ought to reconsider your driving career.

Designed to be obsolete in 7 years, chances of these things still running at 10 are slim IMO.

WE won't be buying the things, thats a dead cert, wouldn't matter if i won the lottery that i don't do still wouldn't want this level of technology.

If i bought a really complicated car it would have to be a Toyota/Lexus as it's got more chance than anyone else's of the stuff continuing to work for a car's acceptable lifetime.

My requirements are, reliability, easy to work on, a slush auto box, a smooth 6+ cylinder engine preferably LPG converted, leccy windows, sunroof, heater, a wireless that works and an effortless drive...thats it, the rest they can stick where the sun don't shine.

This sort of technology is great ....

... on the cars of stupid rich feckers.

It's good to know humankind can achieve things like this, like the moon landings. Like I wouldn't strap myself into a capsule at the top of a Saturn 5 though, there's no way I think I'll ever park my arse in a car that is trying to drive for you. In theory it could well be amazing; a magical journey. If it goes wrong though you may be being picked by a shovel. And it WILL go wrong, after 10 years of can't-be-arsed owners and dealer technicians struggling to come to terms with new technology.

Is this the quickest and most expensive way of shortening the life of a car? - Specifying loads of pointless and complex tech that will write it off within ten years.

Late '90s/early 2000s tech is probably about as far as things needed to go. 4 speed manuals had had their day by that point, and there were also airbags, ABS, leccy windows, decent rust-proofing, decent crash protection, decent stereos, and mostly air-con in them by that point (though I'd prefer a sunroof). They were also clean enough emissions-wise to keep passing MOTs if kept in decent fettle. Nothing's perfect*, and there will be expensive issues with some of that - but that's all you need in your average family car, surely?

* I know some still regard most of this as Satan's handiwork, and would have preferred to carry on tooling around forever in unreliable, underpowered, RWD 3-box rustheaps - but not me.

I agree with the OP although a clock would have been nice in my Victor.

I now have 4 cars and all run on carbs although one does have electronic ignition (factory fitted).

BTW whats an automatic choke some newfangled thing that does away with a choke cable!!!!! whatever next

I think they figured out the last of the useful stuff out about 15 years ago now they're just pissing around coming up with ever more far fetched ideas to sell cars. 

My bosses 2014 A8 detects pedestrians on the side of the road and directs a beam of light at their face to let them know someone more important than them is coming and they should get out the way. This has no actual value.

Watching someone yesterday only prevented from backing a Ka into a Daimler Fleetline by about 8 people shouting Whoa, I feel that for some people technology has not gone far enough.

On the other hand as technology has enabled white Range Rovers to be fitted with black windows, in other ways it has gone too far :(

Technology reached it's zenith when fuel injection was fitted to the rover SD1.

Let's be honest, putting ECU's in a car that absorbes water like silica gel is never a good thing.

The renault tried to go one further - DCi in a laguna anyone?

It will be interesting to see what features catch on and which are quietly dropped over the next few years. Some of them are (IMO) good, reasonable and safe, others leave me think why?

Parking sensors are my bugbear. If you can't manouver your car without bouncing off stuff, you probably ought to reconsider your driving career.

Parking sensors are just about essential for the giffers who use the car park of the Co-op near me. The trolley bays have railings around them that are - now they've been hit by several small Rovers, Nissans and Hyundais - just below the rear window line of most hatchbacks. By going slowly and listening intently for the (barely audible to them) beeps of the parking sensors, some giffers can manage to park successfully. If still wonkily.

I think the trolley bays draw these giffers in magnetically, with the lure of not having to walk far to take their trolley back.

Yes, these people should really reconsider their driving careers, but they're living in a rural area, and their car is basically their independence.

They're also selfish feckers, who don't care if they endanger others on the road whilst popping out every morning for a Daily Express and a bottle of milk that they're too tight to have delivered to their house. During the morning rush-hour. Because that's the best time to go out when you're retired, isn't it?

Technology goes round in circles! Daf invented the "Variomatic" which died off inn the early 1980's. A few years later Ford & Fiat came up with "contuiously variable transmission" (=Variomatic with electronics) and convinced buyers it was a completely new idea!!!

Slightly off topic (but related to old ideas being passed off as new ones) following the closure of numerous bank branches all over the place my bank have sent me a pile of pre-paid envelopes, addressed to the bank's head office, to allow me to post cheques etc., saving me the effort of going to a branch, which might be some distance away. They've told me this is progress... Progress??? National Girobank did this about 40 years ago!!!

Which takes me back to the 7 series. That maps its location,anticipates road surface,and selects gearchanges,and likely steering ferocity etc etc. So it tracks itself basically and takes lots of choice out of your hands,if you wish,for now. Fucksake its a car!! Do we really need this shit?

I think you need to remember that, for most people, cars are just white goods. The quieter and less involvement people have to put in, the more they like them.

People can't park. They end up parking so close that they smash their door into the side of the car next to them. Auto parking can only be a good thing, right?

People can't even be trusted to drive at a sensible speed or use their brakes properly. Perfectly demonstrated by an enormous 4 car pile up at a minor junction on my way to work last week. If the car can do it for them - then I say bring it on.

I'd take the opposite view - technology encourages people to be mongs. For example, people thes dayz kant fukin spel. Spell checkers & autocorrect make people lazy.

The current Fiesta is available with front and rear parking sensors, and a camera! If you can't park a Fiesta without electronic help, you shouldn't be driving.

Too many engine sensors on modern cars too. My wife's vectra is a 53 plate but everything is electric. The fiat is 3 years older but has only a couple of sensors on the engine,maybe due to it being the 8 valve fire engine which noah used as a donkey engine in the ark. Fiat has comfy seats,electric windows and central locking which is a bonus on a 5 door car,airbags and a sunroof that I have removed fuse from. Does 45mpg easily, ideal for what I need. The vectra has sensors everywhere,even drive by wire throttle.

I'd take the opposite view - technology encourages people to be mongs. For example, people thes dayz kant fukin spel. Spell checkers & autocorrect make people lazy.

The current Fiesta is available with front and rear parking sensors, and a camera! If you can't park a Fiesta without electronic help, you shouldn't be driving.

when we had a car accident we had a brand new avensis courtesy car. 62 plate but to say it was the Base model I'd dread to think what crap the top spec had. Rear view camera,Bluetooth, touchscreen everything. Camera was handy though as the boot was at an angle and the rear bumper stuck out a fair bit

Isnt this the slip into driverless cars. Step one is electronic handbrake and radar cruise control, step two is parking itself, step three is optional driving, step four is total computer control. 

As stated it can track road surfaces, locations, other cars, pedestrians etc. There isnt much else a driverless car needs to do.  Then they will bump up insurance premiums for those who want to drive their own car to £££££££ therefore it will become financially compulsory to move to automated car. No doubt the government will introduce a special scrappage for this

I seriously doubt my 2 year old nephew will ever sit a driving test. He wont need to. 

There is a lot of needless functionality in many cars. The BMW i-Drive offers a billion-and-one settings you'll never need - and most owners will probably never even know exist. Why would I want to vary the time the interior lights stay on? There are many, many other things like this - it would take a day to change them all.

Parking sensors are brilliant though - they're the only modern innovation I miss on my Jaguar. That said, I suppose the XJ40 has a fair bit of kit, with automatic climate control, electric windows and sunroof, electric mirrors and electrically adjusted front seats with twin memories - it even has electrically adjusted head restraints.  All reliable.

Parking sensors are brilliant though - they're the only modern innovation I miss on my Jaguar.

Parking sensors were introduced very soon after the car was invented. They called them "bumpers" and they were a simple solution for a simple problem.

They gave an acoustic warning signal when you got close enough to another car. For some inexplicable reason, by the late Eighties, they were completely replaced by very brittle painted plastic pieces, that need expensive repairs each time you park your car. Since this practice has led to skyrocketing insurance premiums over the past 30 odd years, a new solution had to be found, but instead of simply reverting to the acoustic warning devices of yore, some wannabe smartass fuckwit came up with something computerised.

what saucy said. Folk are cocooned in an electronic bubble and seem to belive that the car will keep them safe regardless. This mentality starts at the driving school and build from there.

All driving schools should have mid-sixties Minors on crossplies with badly adjusted drum brakes. Upon passing your test, you would be allowed to upgrade to a Mk 3 Cortina 1300 for six months. learn your skills the old-skool way