bora. any good?

bub2006

Pre-PD engine most likely (you can tell by which side the oil filler is on, but helpfully I can't remember which is which) you're looking at 45mpg driven sensibly on a run, 35 around town based on a years Fuelly records from my 110 Leon, same chassis similar engine.

S trim is basic so windy back windows, might have air con but no climate, not too bad. Usual slabs of black VAG interior.

Plenty of EGR faults but nothing too major, turbo isn't known for going pop and it doesn't have a DMF or DPF.

I looked at these a couple of years ago and didn't find much information to suggest that they suffer major problems. The 130bhp is the one to go for really but a diesel Bora for £300 is a bit unusual. 

I know it's cheap so even though he is a mate I want to check it. Yes I'm sure it's pre pd being only a 90bhp model. I also thought they all had leccy windows all way round and air con but I could be wrong.

Lotsa VAG hate on autoshite. £300 probably means a million miles and a tatty interior. Despite that these engines are pretty bulletproof and will do many 000,000s. Gearboxes are robust. Bodies will rust, particularly at drain holes and sills. MAF sensors and EGRs go commonly. Anything more than that and I'd probably bridge it. It'll be vague to drive but with OMGVAGTORQ and miserly derv consumption.

I'm just after a cheap motor to tie me over a while. He will let me have car And pay back in installments if I want it which is a bonus seeing as I'm a bit skint and the punto is just being Italian. I have thought of going to a dealer on finance but not my cup of tea. I must admit these bora and other vw of the ear do look bloody dark inside

The later 90 and 110 pre pd motors are fitted with vnt turbochargers that do get sooted up if they are driven like a giffer. So if it goes into limp mode on test drive that's why, easily rectified though. Surprised about the egr problem mentioned above, not a problem I am aware of, but can be blanked off for a couple of quid, with no dash lights. Can be easily made into 110 engine just by swapping injectors, takes an hour, even I can do it. For more reliable than pd and better on juice too. Tis a great engine that will outlive the car.

Is that really all the mpg they do? That's worse than my idi XM...

Should do more than that I average 42 in winter and 45 summer. But mine is in a lighter caddy van. And that is giving it death most of the time. 50 should be obtainable without trying too hard.

I had a '03 PD engined 's' model for about 6 months, pretty basic inside, but functional, chairs were comfy, huge boot and quite nice to drive.

Leccy window motors and central locking were an issue on mine and a pretty common prob on 93-03 cars, cheap for bits (specially if you get a TPS account tho) . Keep the EGR clean and it will be okay...

Bought a set of Golf GTI Recaro chairs (front and back) for £60, most Golf stuff fits too 

I liked mine and would have another...... 

Can't stand 'em, but for £300 even I'd have a dip at that. Veg friendly (as mentioned above) and to be fair they can't half seem to crack up some big mileages.

Skattrd is your man here, he loves his and has had pretty much no trouble at all with his. 

90bhp VAG TDIs don't feel all that glacial to me, not compared to non turbo merc dervs anyway. You can argue about build quality til the cows come home (and I would say they're about as good as fords in general) but anything that's legal and sips veg has got to be worth a punt surely

Sounds good to me for £300. I would think the Bora would be more likely to be giffer owned too?

Don't seem to hold value as much as the Golf, so lots of 'scene modded' ones about, as they crept within budget for many long before the MK4 Golf...

I do prefer the look of the Bora to the Golf.

You can't knock it for £300, that's nothing for a diesel. I had a 2002 TDi 130 Sport for a couple of years and I never had a problem with it, I think all I had to do on it was to replace was the top suspension mounts and that's it in 20000 miles.

They are a bit dull though and there's not much rear leg room.

Is that really all the mpg they do? That's worse than my idi XM...

I was tracking my mileage for work, I think I hit 50 once. This was the 110 but there's not a massive difference, and I was doing mostly decent roads - the pre-dualled A46, the M1 and a bit of dogging.

Of course, it was my first TDI and I may not have been driving it exactly like a nun.

MarvinsMom is right,corsa back axle given out,cost 200 and nearly that again to end up scrapping it for 100. Punto cost 280,spent naff all bar a service in 5 weeks and 3k. Admittedly it now looks battered,has an oil leak and knocking exhaust but it runs so I'm tempted to just keep running it till it stops. At least I know and trust it. Just need to see if it cuts out again. Also the bora will cost 1.5 k to insure!