Shite acquired. Sporty, fast(ish) and cheap, with room for kids. V*uxh*ll content

sporty-shite

Yes, I know. I don't want much, do I?

So, the GTV is going this weekend. Putting a clutch in the Celica has been a failure. So, I'm going to need a conveyance.

The brief is:

Sporty (ish)

Fast (ish)

Cheap. Really need to keep some cash back from the sale of the Alfa, so £500 is a maximum. Mybe a little bit mmore for something really appealing.

Needs to have a bit of legroom in the back for the kids. This rules out Pumas on experience, as well as Fiat Coupes* and GTVs.

I'm leaning towards another Celica, but I'm too tight to pay good ££s for one, and the ones around are either barried, miles away or both.

On the watch list at the moment are 406 coupes, Golf GTIs (although this is reluctant), Celicas, and the wildcard is the 480 turbo that's in autotrader at the moment. But, otherwise, I'm running out of inspiration, and my mojo isn't great at the moment.

So, any other suggestions?

As always I'd suggest the Civic VTi, as it'd be ideal, but now they're all either £1k+ or breakers. (Besides, I'm trying to find a low miler for my dad). The 1.4i Sport 5drs are surprisingly fun for 90bhp, and a nice place to be too.

As a Celica alternative, how about a Prelude?

MX-6/Probe?

Hyundai XG30?

Nissan Primera GT of course.

What happened to the clutch job on the Celica then?

I'm shit, Boll. Started stripping it down, and was struggling with gearbox mounts and a crossmember that fouls the steering rack before the gearbox mount clears it. Doing all this with ratchet straps and planks across the inner wings made me think that if I finally got the fucker apart, I'd never get it back together. Really needed an engine crane and another pair of hands. Unfortunately, I have neither. On top of that, it's nearly out of test, and needs back shockers. So I gave up, and started advertising parts of it on the Celica forum. That's gone to shit, too. Sold nothing. FML.

Also, some good ideas coming. MX 6s are pretty rare, but WOULD. Looking at Cougars and Probes. BMWs are on the fringe due to OMGMPGs. 

Would imagine T5s and ST170s are well out of budget. 

Mondeos and Kias are taxis  not really my thing. 

Saab and Rover are outsiders, but will be included.

Not enough rear legroom in Horsy Horseless Coupe.

Keep em coming.

Cougars only have 2 "seats"in the back with a bit of a hump in the middle . they're not a fast car as such but quick enough.

try the driving position before you commit as some find the leather seats lack a bit of side bolster,making for a loose feeling when Making Progress.....

Rear sills and the rear subframe are starting to show up as the main rust spots on these.

Don't touch 1 with abs/traction control issues.any abs light on will be the abs block giving up and of course are now made of unobtainium.

Some have been registered late enough to put it into the higher road tax bracket too.....

Think that's it for now

Oh,the cougar uk.org club is possibly the most cliquey bunch of arse holes you could imagine

Bit like the RSOC on ketamin. .

Cougars only have 2 "seats"in the back with a bit of a hump in the middle . they're not a fast car as such but quick enough.

try the driving position before you commit as some find the leather seats lack a bit of side bolster,making for a loose feeling when Making Progress.....

Rear sills and the rear subframe are starting to show up as the main rust spots on these.

Don't touch 1 with abs/traction control issues.any abs light on will be the abs block giving up and of course are now made of unobtainium.

Some have been registered late enough to put it into the higher road tax bracket too.....

Think that's it for now

Oh,the cougar uk.org club is possibly the most cliquey bunch of arse holes you could imagine

Bit like the RSOC on ketamin. .

Thanks for the info, Andy. Only need two seats, as long as there's some legroom. 

Didn't know about the ABS issues, shall keep that in mind. 

It's 1 of the main reasons they get scrapped now and of course the v6 abs is unique to that engine.

that and the front wishbones which are shared with the Mongdayo ST 200 and suitably expensive

That said,I'd have another but would have to be a black Cougar 2.......

how about a nissan 200sx?

the survivors if you can find one thats not been thrashed/drifted/modded/crashed ect yolo to death must still be a nice car?

a mate had a string of them a few years ago. dunno what goes wrong on 'em, been jap a suspect not very much plus there are 4 seats (just) as its a full sized back seat with very little leg room.

ok it was a shit suggestion.....

the survivors if you can find one thats not been thrashed/drifted/modded/crashed ect yolo to death must still be a nice car?

a mate had a string of them a few years ago. dunno what goes wrong on 'em, been jap a suspect not very much plus there are 4 seats (just) as its a full sized back seat with very little leg room.

Doubt I'll get one of those in budget. OMGDRFTYO!

Yes, don't buy anything until Saturday, I'll see if this motor comes off, it'll tick all your boxes.

You're selling this up well, Billy. It had better be good, Saturday is the deadline. Urpert will be on the 1318 train from that London. Alfa will depart soon after.

Also, some good ideas coming. MX 6s are pretty rare, but WOULD. Looking at Cougars and Probes. BMWs are on the fringe due to OMGMPGs. 

If you get worse MPG from a BMW 520i than a Cougar/Probe, then you need to stop driving with a shed attached to the roofrack.

Worse urban average I got with the 528 was 23, which compares with 24mpg in a Renault Clio 1.6 in the same conditions. Motorway I got 39-47mpg (47 when doing long 50mph stretches, 39 over full Scotland-England run of mixed driving and not hanging about). I reckon most mixed use with a decent amount of NSL/motorway would be 33mpg, which is pretty much the best I ever got out my Saab 900S non-turbo, A/C free 2.0 auto.

Rust and bottom end bearings mostly. Unfortunately the days of finding one for £500 have now gone forever