That yellow SLK - new owner and new fixes! (the thread of history)

RichardK

How's it looking indicators out? That's where I aimed any rust protection - the brackets, tabs and back of the panel, but you're talking 4-8 years ago. It kept it in stasis for me - but more use and more weather might have defeated it.

Get the bumper off and you'll see the lip that needs dealing with. I bet the intercooler could use a petrol/brake cleaner/carb cleaner type rinse, too, after another 30-40,000 miles!

Thanks for your advice guys. Few updates the wing brackets all seem rust free including the inner wing which seems in great condition. Having looked at the second hand wings I think I will still just invest in some genuine ones when the time is right. I managed to get the iff side wing fillered and primed today. I haven't done any body work for a long time  so took a while to do, but by my standards I'm happy so far. Hopefully get the wings replaced in the next 18 months so if they hold up until then I will be chuffed. Top coat going on tomorrow.

I also took the wing to sill trim off which revealed a lot of damp grit and crud which I cleaned out. That was refreshing 😄.  

20220818_154542.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just a little bit of news. The SLK has performed impeccably over the winter as my daily. I was reluctant to do this as I had driving In salt grit and wet, but needs must. I had a quick check under the car the other day and the rust seems to be kept at bay due to rust protection @RichardK has used. I have also acquired a pair of new wings at £220 for the pair which I'm happy with. They're not original genuine, but are still going to be better than the rusty ones on it now. 

I've been quoted £250 to paint and stone chip the inside of both wings.  I don't have a great deal of time at the minute so these will probably be going on in spring. In the meantime I will try and get it on the ramps to get the subframe covers and check closer for any corrosion underneath. 

34 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Great to hear that you're enjoying it and that it's getting attention man. 

Thanks mate , certainly cheered me up some days coming home from work! Absolutely love the colour too haha. Really want to make it last long term and with an abundance of them and reasonable prices for spares it's a no brainer for me

On 03/01/2023 at 12:52, garellikatia said:

I've also got to admit, the MPG hasn't been too bad, around 35mpg on a run. I'm probably going to end up spending a whole lot of cash on this to keep it in good nick but its definitely worth it. Given the smiles per gallon 

Congruent with my figures. 27 average, 35 if driven carefully on a run. 

I'm pleased to see you lavishing attention on this one. They're so cheap at the moment I think a lot are being neglected, and in the blink of an eye they're going to become rare (and dare I say desirable) classic Mercedes sports cars. 

14 hours ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

Congruent with my figures. 27 average, 35 if driven carefully on a run. 

I'm pleased to see you lavishing attention on this one. They're so cheap at the moment I think a lot are being neglected, and in the blink of an eye they're going to become rare (and dare I say desirable) classic Mercedes sports cars. 

Absolutely, I saw this happen with Mini's. I bought one as a 15 year old lad with saturday job money. Fast forward 18 years and theyre worth 5-6 times what I paid. 

'm not sure why SLKs are so cheap, possibly the fuel economy and they do look pretty shabby when the wings start to go. Not to mention tax could be considered a little high. But for the fun, character and practicality too (boot size for a convertible) I think they're an all rounded little gem. I think I'm lucky in a way though as apart from the wings mine has been well looked after which makes it easier continuing the tlc it needs. 

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow, due to the normal family,  work commitments,  however I started work on removing the drivers side wing today. I'm really happy with the inner wing which shows hardly any signs of rot. I will however have to check behind the inner wing bracket  which has rotted through completely. 

I'm going to tackle the rust on the sill first, which although looks rotten  is pretty solid.  I'd rather get that sorted first rather than remove the bumper etc.. and have parts everywhere, then before I know it I'm part restoring the thing. I'm much of the opinion of removing as little at a time to get the job done, so it can stay a rolling project. 

Here's some pics

20230219_174035.thumb.jpg.38f31fe54f24ecabca4cb3ed0e19ace0.jpg20230219_174014.thumb.jpg.d17f35effbaa151b0a78af4ecb5b42f6.jpg20230219_174008.thumb.jpg.86998ddf596f4dab0e178836249bc955.jpg20230219_174002.thumb.jpg.7410b648f42921ed9a394b5805b9507d.jpg20230219_173858.thumb.jpg.5b5619b97c97acdf858a2a355db269e2.jpg20230219_173846.thumb.jpg.d7f3b7f9e59acb679a22b7be2c682415.jpg20230219_173854.thumb.jpg.cf4450e7202fd8e8541f92b315a5cc0f.jpg

13 minutes ago, garellikatia said:

Progress has been slow, due to the normal family,  work commitments,  however I started work on removing the drivers side wing today. I'm really happy with the inner wing which shows hardly any signs of rot. I will however have to check behind the inner wing bracket  which has rotted through completely. 

I'm going to tackle the rust on the sill first, which although looks rotten  is pretty solid.  I'd rather get that sorted first rather than remove the bumper etc.. and have parts everywhere, then before I know it I'm part restoring the thing. I'm much of the opinion of removing as little at a time to get the job done, so it can stay a rolling project. 

Here's some pics

20230219_174035.thumb.jpg.38f31fe54f24ecabca4cb3ed0e19ace0.jpg20230219_174014.thumb.jpg.d17f35effbaa151b0a78af4ecb5b42f6.jpg20230219_174008.thumb.jpg.86998ddf596f4dab0e178836249bc955.jpg20230219_174002.thumb.jpg.7410b648f42921ed9a394b5805b9507d.jpg20230219_173858.thumb.jpg.5b5619b97c97acdf858a2a355db269e2.jpg20230219_173846.thumb.jpg.d7f3b7f9e59acb679a22b7be2c682415.jpg20230219_173854.thumb.jpg.cf4450e7202fd8e8541f92b315a5cc0f.jpg

I had the front wings on our R172 SLK replaced with genuine Mercedes panels due to rot caused by  the same crap design of the inner plastic wheel arch having an opening on the leading edge allowing water and other detritus being thrown in by the front tyres. I’ve modified this with some rubber matting sikaflexed in over the gap.

2 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

I had the front wings on our R172 SLK replaced with genuine Mercedes panels due to rot caused by  the same crap design of the inner plastic wheel arch having an opening on the leading edge allowing water and other detritus being thrown in by the front tyres. I’ve modified this with some rubber matting sikaflexed in over the gap.

Ah great idea, I'll definitely give this a shot, as I will do anything to cut down the rot again! You don't happen to have any pics do ya?

1 minute ago, garellikatia said:

Ah great idea, I'll definitely give this a shot, as I will do anything to cut down the rot again! You don't happen to have any pics do ya?

Sorry dude, I don’t have any pics but it’s a really straightforward job, I still can’t believe that Mercedes cocked up with this simple design error that’s had a detrimental effect on many SLK’s…

Trial fitted the aftermarket wing. Doesn't seem like a bad fit. I doubt it will need much fettling to fit. I'm wondering whether I should use some rubber washers under the metals ones though.,  as when the new paint is added  I don't want it cracking when I tighten the bolts up. 

In other news, ordered some Vatcan rust converter,  primer stuff for the sills. I don't want the rust coming back and heard good things about that stuff. 

Waiting for paint and parts to arrive so I took the other wing off. Ironically the wing was in worse condition but the brackets where In a better state. Regardless its all coming off. The cost of sorting this is now creeping up and I probably need a couple of new front tyres by the looks of things. So I will have almost spent what I paid once its all done,  but I love it too much. Also credit where its due, the previous owners have done a fine job in keeping as much of the rust at bay as possible and as @RichardKhas previously documented the use of waxoyl has really helped. I feel very lucky that I decided to do it now as I feel the rustiest bits (albeit small in number) will be just caught in time. 

20230224_144822.thumb.jpg.c35ee53745feccb850b8c1f0a0d5b976.jpgout with the old and in with the new. A guy not too far from me makes these up in stainless and sells on ebay. Although quite expensive, I don't have the finesse to make them myself. The quality is great too so can't grumble. 

I have however etched them all and they will be painted before fitting as I don't want galvanic corrosion setting in between the stainless and mild steel. 

20230224_144556.thumb.jpg.6eb807662bd884c21b50a93c7d1a17b2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update , so the wings are in the body shop for spraying. 

All the inner wings are prepared ready for the wings. I have had to order some Mercedes buts from the main dealer such as some fiddly double ended bolts etc... that had all rusted away.

I also checked the rear arches which had a couple of rust bubbles which naturally was hiding a lot more underneath. 

Ive covered the rust in vactan at the minute to try and keep it at bay but I'm not sure how I will tackle this. My options are as follows: 

1. Grind rust back, treat, seal, fill and paint (least desirable option,  as it will probably end up rusting again in no time)

2. With the existing arch in place make a fibreglass panel. Cut out all the rust then bond in the fibreglass panel, fill and paint (preferable option, due to cost)

3. Buy an aftermarket metal panel. Have a bodyshop cut out the rust and weld in the section required and then get them to paint (absolutely dependent on cost) 

I'm probably leaning towards option 2 as a temporary fix until I can stretch to option 3, due to the likely cost of the work.