Retroshite

DodgyBastard

That's shite. Why?
Running out of usable tested cars so need something to tide me over just in case.
The cars I have with the longest test aren't working correctly, Camry was just tested recently and now dead, the brat has a horrible grinding coming from the front brakes which leaves me with the 505 which runs out of test this month, an ldv pilot tested until next year and a 1978 Skoda Estelle to rely on. Everything else is out of test or slightly broken.
Also I quite enjoyed having a modern shitter last winter in the form of a mini of similar vintage so the focus will do for winter duties.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Posting pictures of cars on Facebook always brings out the rivet counters. Unless it's literally pebble beach concours some people will always criticise. 

I got bother for fitting a £90 ebay exhaust to the 75 because it wasn't an OEM item or an £800 stainless job. I said I couldn't give a fuck if it doesn't last 25 years.

17 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

Bought the cheapest thing I could find on gumtree, a scabby focus for £350 with mot until August.

Drives absolutely fine but crusty around the arches.

IMG_20211102_150757204.jpg

IMG_20211102_150744784_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211102_151741866.jpg

should get double ya money back for the plate...ST owners would be all over that LOL

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Top work for £350!

I didn't think cars that cheap with MOTs still existed. You could sell that after winter with the remaining MOT left for a profit!

It was advertised on gumtree with no photos for £350, advert didn't say much apart from long mot and rusty arches. When I turned up to see it I was surprised how shit it didn't look.

It was in a place called coalsnaughton which is probably closer to Stirling than it is to me.

When I turned up to see it the owner had explained a bit more about the car, he'd owned it for 12 years, replaced the front subframe and rear arms, timing belt at 100k and replaced the power steering pipes.

I was happy enough with it and didn't bother to barter but he mentioned that the rear tyres lost air over time and he'd forgotten to write it in the advert so knocked another £30 off.

For £320 it's pretty good, it seems to drive absolutely fine and the interior is generally tidy and clean.

I imagine it'll serve its purpose over winter and I'll be able to sell it next year.

The seller was surprised that he'd had so much interest in it and admitted he never really sold cars but as I'd been first to contact him I had first refusal.

I have been scanning Facebook and Gumtree for a while looking for something like this so looks like it's paid off.

51660699697_894ec0bfa3_h.jpg

51662382375_5186875c55_h.jpg

51661508676_d387ff09e1_h.jpg

A nice run up the coast in the Skoda, seems to be running better after pissing about with the SU carb. I noticed a pipe with nothing fitted onto it, I tried plugging it up with a bit of hose with a bolt screwed into it which made a huge difference to how the engine ran through the rev range with more torque and no flat spots but when the revs dropped to idle it would start to hunt and occasionally cut out. With the tube unplugged it would idle at 2k and felt a bit crap throughout the rev range. On other cars that use SU carbs it said the tube was for a crankcase breather so I tried connecting it to a tube coming from the rocker cover which improved things massively, it's run fine up through the rev range and no longer wants to cut out at idle. 

51664932988_0682de7467_b.jpg

51665576950_3f44db9888_b.jpg

Finished off the welding on the 505 but didn't take many photos. Just needs a liberal coating of paint, seam sealer and underseal to finish it off. I did grind down the welds flat but didn't get any pics. Mot is on Thursday so just trying to fix any obvious issues.

51658487872_55108ac7cb_b.jpg

I also changed the other belts at the weekend as when my alternator belt snapped I only had two out of the four belts I needed to replace so had to refit the old ones until the others arrived. I've had them for a couple of weeks now but had been putting off fitting them and really only made an effort at the weekend because one of them had started to squeak. It was particularly annoying because one of the belts I needed to replace was behind all of the others so had to remove them all to fit it. There isn't a lot of room in there, maybe if the radiator was removed it would help but it seemed like more effort than it was worth.

With the Camry sorted and potentially having the 205 fixed and a fresh mot on the 505 I'm back to having "too many" working cars. Not sure whether to tart up the focus by welding the crusty bits and flog it or just run it into the ground over winter.

12 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

What was the issue with the Camry ?  Also a few weeks ago I'm fairly sure it was sat behind me in traffic at Torrance,  can't be many more of them kicking about surely 😂

On 08/11/2021 at 18:01, DodgyBastard said:

coil

29 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Also a few weeks ago I'm fairly sure it was sat behind me in traffic at Torrance,  can't be many more of them kicking about surely 😂

Yeah, it was me. I was in Glasgow picking up my freshly re-cored radiator for my 505 and dropping at set of wheels off to my friend who works in a prop store.

IMG_20210923_122608314_HDR.jpg