Retroshite

DodgyBastard

45 minutes ago, Jikovron said:

If the fuel gauge does tiny erratic jumps when turning left then it still has something in the tank,,when it stops doing that it's time to fuel up. Apart from that the gauge is actually decently accurate amazingly 

Just remembered it needs a breather pipe fitting to the tank next to the filler neck as it tips fuel out when over half full , many appologies I'd basically lived with and forgotten about that issue for 9 years such that it became a subconscious foible. 

Cheers, I'm always reluctant to fill the tanks on old cars for fear of leaking tanks, I've only filled the tank over halfway in the Skoda once so learned quite early on that it had leaks. I'd put super unleaded in too so it was extra smelly!

My dad just bought a newer car, an Audi A3 2008 so I've been roped into flogging the Avensis. It's a 1.8 petrol, I previously won it in a roffle around 3 years ago.

It's been used regularly and always been reliable, had wheel bearings replaced at mot times and never needed much else.

What's a 2003 Avensis really worth these days?

2021-12-03_09-51-13.jpg

12 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

My dad just bought a newer car, an Audi A3 2008 so I've been roped into flogging the Avensis. It's a 1.8 petrol, I previously won it in a roffle around 3 years ago.

It's been used regularly and always been reliable, had wheel bearings replaced at mot times and never needed much else.

2021-12-03_09-51-13.jpg

Much is he after for it ? My 9-3 has been giving me grief recently, a boring reliable Toyota sounds appealing 

12 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

2021-12-03_09-51-13.jpg

SWOP 4 205 M9?

I've heard those 1.8 petrols are surprisingly frugal. Almost diesel-like at times.

As said above, you could easily get over a grand for that no problem. The market is mental right now, especially for automotive porridge like that. Hence me buying a 205 with a long MOT rather than spending the same (or more) on something more 'sane' with five minutes of MOT and a list of problems as long as my arm. Just look at FB marketplace and the amount of complete scrap for sale for 4-figures is astounding.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:46 PM, DodgyBastard said:

51736904297_00d9f84f42_h.jpg

Avensis went off to a new home today.

51738615870_edbc67957c_h.jpg

51737963563_b10327a423_h.jpg

Booked the 504 in for an mot for Friday so have a week to check it over and sort anything it might need. Just had wheel cylinders replaced and handbrake cables freed off but brakes still feel odd, they aren't binding but it feels like air in the system. Also the brake vacuum booster has an incredibly slack belt so hoping replacing it might make a difference to the brakes.

I didn't know you had this, it's identical to one that belonged to one of my customers, a Rhodesian who left in 1979 when Mugabe took over.He bought it new in 1983. It was always polished and garaged. When he died in the late 90s I saw it for sale in a garage for £1000. I would have loved it, but was working towards building a house. I saw it parked up in a farmyard a few years later, off the road, but the next time I went past it had disappeared.

4 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

Not sure how I managed to gain the reputation of having obscure commercial vehicles being sold for bargain prices.

It highly unlikely you'd find either of these in a roadworthy condition for less than £2k these days.

Anyway, 504 passed its MOT and is going well at the moment.

IMG_20211222_125522765_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211222_125711922_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211222_125544539_HDR.jpg

504 pick up was always one of my dream vehicles. Did they do them in any other colour though!  That was certainly the one in the brochure - which I still have!

• 1 month later...

I got a much needed delivery from Autodoc of 505 bits including a pair of front calipers, discs, pads and flexis. ?I had planned on changing both sides but decided halfway through just to change the drivers side caliper that was not only sticking but half of it had broken off.

IMG_20220123_123201128_BURST002

Happy to report that after bleeding the new caliper the brakes are sorted and the car is back into use. I really missed using it over the last few weeks.

505 is now back into daily use, I really have missed driving it.

2022-02-16_03-22-01.thumb.jpg.da4361e036abdaa647f5186b3e6a269a.jpg

It's been an expensive month so far on the car front. I spent around £240 on parts for the 505, bought a Kia picanto for £850 and a Ka for £500. The Audi has been in the garage for the last couple of weeks after the slave cylinder burst. I seriously couldn't be arsed trying to fix it myself so sent it off to my local garage where it had a new clutch/slave fitted costing £475. The garage contacted me yesterday saying it was done but they noticed that the brakes were worn out. I vaguely remember the brake wear sensor being on so thought it best to have them fit new discs and pads at a cost of £180...

Fortunately the Ka sold last night so I don't feel so bad about having to pay £655 to have a functioning Audi again. 

I still haven't changed the discs and pads on the picanto so maybe that can be a job for the weekend.

I've been trying and failing miserably to sell the Estelle, it owes me around £2k so trying to get that back for it but there just doesn't seem to be much demand for a piss coloured Skoda which questionable bodywork repairs. I entertained raffling it off at £40 a go over on Facebook and sold out around half of the tickets but momentum waned and I can't be arsed ramming it down people's throats if nobody really wants it.

Parts availability has been ok, managed to get all of the belts from local motor factors. eBay is a bit hit and miss. I couldn't find a radiator anywhere for the diesel auto with oil cooler so had the original recored.

Service parts are still available from the likes of autodoc which is good although postage waiting times can be up to a couple of weeks.

11 minutes ago, loserone said:

Ahm not sure if that's a dig at me cancelling Teesdale yesterday but I take it as internet humour and you'll be very welcome to head down once I've rearranged.

It wasn't aimed at you, it's perfectly understandable to cancel events when the weather is grim. It was more of a dig at the invitation only clique events on here.