Retroshite

DodgyBastard

That sooki looks like it's been used as an off roader and not kept clean,  they rust really quickly if left dirty,

The last sj i had was just as bad so it's sills where replaced with 3x2 box section and then the floor welded to that,  its still being used on the farm today and it was 1997  i welded it up,  easy too as all flat panels and 90 deg bends.

21 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Good result! Bit of a turnaround in the number of working/legal cars as you say.

I mind way back in the early 80s I used to like to spot the early Estelles with the small tail lights. I always thought they had flat 4s because of the sound they made.

Yeah, I feel like I'm doing well with getting stuff working and usable with sorting the Camry, testing the 505 and sorting out the poor running of the Skoda.

Also should have the 205 coming back with a functional rear beam so that's another usable car.

My Mrs wants to fix the samurai but I'm still not sure as it's a lot of work, her logic is if I keep it for some kind of off-road toy I will still have to weld up a lot of it so might as well just get it roadworthy in the process.

I can buy new front and rear bumpers with integrated lights and indicators and a new soft top then after that it's some wiring and a shitload of welding!

Sounds almost as much work as the Chevette.

Many years ago I remember an ex's folks lived in the middle of nowhere up by Mullardoch Dam. When the road over the low culvert that was on the driveway flooded when the spillway had to open, the only way out was over the fields to the road. They left their Terrano by the road and had borrowed their Danish neighbours green SJ van to get them over the fields and back. It seemed unstoppable but was very rusty even back then, I recall the same holes in the floor as your one.

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

That seems alot for ine of those MBs. Aren't they meant to be slower than a week in Edinburgh?

'Recovery truck m9'.

Near me, there was a scrappy selling a recovery bed off a smiley transit for £300. There was a boy with a knackered mk6 tipper up for £900

You can sort of see where this is going....

Somebody bought both and listed the thing up for 3500.

The really hilarious bit is that they didn't even bother to bolt the recovery bed onto the back of the tipper (likely because it didn't fit). They just took the tipper off, rested it on the back of the chassis and tried to flog it like that as 'needing secured'. 😂

Fwiw, on the SJ, i think the BX was worth saving more than that. It's a chassis and running gear, no more. Body is done.

C2 is now dead, I had someone coming to buy it, I started it up and let them get in to move it onto their truck. I got into the Daihatsu to move it out the way and when I got out the C2 had apparently just cut out which has never happened before. I came back to the guy cranking it endlessly, it wouldn't restart and his winch was suddenly broken on his truck so he couldn't take it away.

It was still getting fuel but seemed to be immobilized so we spent a while locking and unlocking the doors and suddenly it fired into life, drove it around and was running fine, turned it off and went to restart it and backfired a loudly a few times then randomly it just started again. We were quite fucked off with it by then so last time it started we rattled it off the limiter until it died. Now the started if fucked!

8 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

That seems alot for ine of those MBs. Aren't they meant to be slower than a week in Edinburgh?

They're kind of strange.  Mine is slower than a wet week off the mark and struggles to hold 60 on anything other than absolutely flat ground.

However once wound up to 75 or so she will happily sit there unless you hit a decent gradient and/or a nasty head wind.  Which for a 78bhp lump in something this size makes zero sense. 

Especially with a whacking great sail over the cab too.

IMG_20211104_122555.thumb.jpg.f32a3d371160e2f4b040f0a7cfd642be.jpg

The useful thing from an upgrade perspective though is that the early Sprinters used the same engines...which means that the five pot 2.3TD can be dropped in with relative ease...double the power out the box.

The only time I find mine to really be painful (unless running it on whatever the heck the Dundee Tesco were claiming was diesel last week) is if you have a strong headwind!

On 11/13/2021 at 10:53 PM, Zelandeth said:

whatever the heck the Dundee Tesco were claiming was diesel last week

You're not the only one.... thought it was just me, but i stuck some in the Civic and feel like i'm down about 20bhp at the moment.

Oddly, used to notice this a lot on Tesco Diesel in the past with the 300tdi Disco and chucking a splash of Redex in always brought it back to normal within 20 miles or so.

Really weird.

17 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

You're not the only one.... thought it was just me, but i stuck some in the Civic and feel like i'm down about 20bhp at the moment.

Oddly, used to notice this a lot on Tesco Diesel in the past with the 300tdi Disco and chucking a splash of Redex in always brought it back to normal within 20 miles or so.

Really weird.

That's reassuring to hear.  It felt like I only had about 80% throttle available - which isn't good in something which has less than 30bhp/tonne to start with!

Seems to be back to normal now I reckon.

My theory in the disco was always that it made the injectors a little sticky (maybe less/lacking some kind of detergent in their diesel?),

It would run, but just wouldn't pull cleanly, hills that would normally be no issue in 3rd started to need a downshift to 2nd, boost just wasn't coming on as strongly, just felt laggy in general. Always on Tesco diesel when it happened. Not every time, but probably every 5th or 6th fill up from there it'd feel off.

Splash of redex and within about 20 miles (and often pretty suddenly) it felt like a blockage shifting and it'd have all its power back, boost would all be there and it'd be back to going up the same hill pulling strongly in third.