Retroshite

DodgyBastard

3 hours ago, HMC said:

Wow, great nose for a bargain . That’s basically scrap money round me.

I really wasn't looking for another car but after reading the shitheap wanted thread I thought I'd scan gumtree to see what was available and this popped up.

The seller was quite difficult to get a hold of, I tried calling a few times, he called me back and I missed it. I eventually got hold of him at 10:30pm and had a brief conversation about the car. He told me of all of the parts he'd recently fitted, new battery, tyres, brakes, spheres but it needed a couple of bits of welding underneath and didn't fancy lying underneath it at his age trying to weld it.

I should be picking it up tonight.

2 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

A friend has just messaged asking if I want a lexus for £300.

Mot just expired but starts and drives fine. I'm seriously running out of space but still tempted.

received_238809218142167.thumb.jpeg.cce628189f96949e51c89aa037e1464a.jpeg

HNNNNNNNGH.

But... don't talk to me about cheap Japanese cars with corrosion.

Still, HNNNNNGH.

23 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

Picked up the BX, it's a total fucking shed but it drives really well. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it, an engine donor perhaps?

Is it weldable? Deffo worth doing if so. Even a rough-but-solid and driving well BX TD estate with an MoT will sell easily. Put some proper hubcaps on, quick polish, it's gotta be a £1500 car I'd have thought. 

Edit: holy shit that rear arch! And that tailpipe! 

Somebody on the BX FB page is breaking a saloon at the moment, I'm sure the arch could be cut out from that...

1 minute ago, barrett said:

Is it weldable? Deffo worth doing if so. Even a rough-but-solid and driving well BX TD estate with an MoT will sell easily. Put some proper hubcaps on, quick polish, it's gotta be a £1500 car I'd have thought. 

It's definitely fixable but a few Citroen lickers around here contacted me before I picked it up saying it was knackered and full of expanding foam so I imagine even if I fixed it and made it look a bit nicer it will still have that tag in Citroen circles as something to avoid.

3 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

51398280058_592216b2b0_h.jpg

51398758694_69167c90eb_h.jpg

51399031795_d7c509504a_h.jpg

51398280988_cc3f05cdc3_h.jpg

Tremendous (bar the slightly silly exhaust),

I've a mate down south that had one of these and the amount of welding it needed in the rear arches was scary. Judging by the red primer mess, looks like its been an issue on this one too.

Would defo weld it up if feasible and sell on. Good profit in it. Hell, i'll keep an eye out for it going on sale....

There was one just like this that operated as a Taxi in Dundee in the mid 90's and when i got it as a kid, i was confused at why the ride was like a magic carpet 🤣

3 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

A friend has just messaged asking if I want a lexus for £300.

Mot just expired but starts and drives fine. I'm seriously running out of space but still tempted.

received_238809218142167.thumb.jpeg.cce628189f96949e51c89aa037e1464a.jpeg

If you don't want it I'll take it, seriously.

And that BX is looking epic, I would be hyped to drive this!

The MoT history is actually significantly better than most BXs I've owned... not a single advisory for rust! It is actually full of expanding foam though, I bet that entire rear arch is just foam covered with a thin layer of paint. The LHM leaks don't bode well (front looks like it might be the FDV thingy, and F knows what's up with the leaky sphere. Possibly just badly fitted).

I love 'em so much, even rough ones. If you could get it through a test with an absolute minimum of effort you'd be doing the world a service by giving it another 12 months of life. Looks like it goes really well in that vid! Realistically though it's probably a scrapper, as painful as that is for me to say.

Edit: the one that's being broken is in Edinburgh

239646030_4915589968508679_1762203303735