Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Found a reasonable colour match from Halfords and painted the rear arch on the Carina, ideally it could be doing with some filler but I'm happy enough with the quality of the repair and it looks a lot better than it did before.

I should probably at least try to polish the doors.

2021-06-13_08-48-19.jpg

IMG_20210611_135616018_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210604_114143368.jpg

51244514904_9a28019fd1_b.jpg

51243949853_f7c32aefcb_b.jpg

I was finding the MZ's rear tyre a little bit wobbly out on the road as it's an off road style chunky tyre designed for off road use. It looked cool but wasn't really practical so I took the bike along to my local shop and had the tyre changed for something a little lower profile. The bike seems to go a lot better with it and acceleration has improved, I can now use 5th gear and go up hills!

1 minute ago, Supernaut said:

I caption that; Living the Dream.

Also, you seem to have a much better mastery of aperture settings / depth of field than I do. Envious.

Haha, if you end up moving down this direction for work you're welcome to have a go of these as for the photos I used a 35mm lens on a Nikon D300 at ƒ/2.8  1/1000. 

It's a good lens which in turn makes cars look better than they are.

Have some random photos...

51241463400_b5e8a874a8_b.jpg

51239695292_651620f313_b.jpg

51241192694_58030eb15b_b.jpg

51240612413_c8d903a597_b.jpg

51240417016_4813b5cf97_b.jpg

51239693887_4884d460b1_b.jpg

51241178589_401af8a1d5_b.jpg

51243866330_407e8817d1_b.jpg

51242095637_a6322c37e2_b.jpg

51242808171_a53aa5b116_b.jpg

51243574279_919bf4f5ac_c.jpg

51243949128_fe0206771d_b.jpg

Checking this over for its upcoming mot, it had two bald tyres and the exhaust wasn't clamped together properly. When changing the tyres we noticed the cv boot was twisted and upon closer inspection it looks as though the cv joint or driveshaft needs replaced as it's jerking violently when moving the car back and forward.

I've been trying to find a driveshaft online without much luck, does anyone know if they are the same as other peugeots? I have one on a 305 that looks ok. 

Edit* Found one!

https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/rover-200_series-218-1.9-diesel-1995/product/drive-shafts-509/drive-shaft/DS1377

Changed the front tyres and nipped up the exhaust clamp, it's quieter but still quite loud.

46 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

Checking this over for its upcoming mot, it had two bald tyres and the exhaust wasn't clamped together properly. When changing the tyres we noticed the cv boot was twisted and upon closer inspection it looks as though the cv joint or driveshaft needs replaced as it's jerking violently when moving the car back and forward.

I've been trying to find a driveshaft online without much luck, does anyone know if they are the same as other peugeots? I have one on a 305 that looks ok. 

Edit* Found one!

https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/rover-200_series-218-1.9-diesel-1995/product/drive-shafts-509/drive-shaft/DS1377

Changed the front tyres and nipped up the exhaust clamp, it's quieter but still quite loud.

It's surprisingly quick isn't it?

I'm over the moon it's getting some love.

That driveshaft sounds terrible!

Its possibly because I didn't really drive it much in the last month or so as it was on loan, but I didn't notice anything up with the driveshaft, either clonking or jerking. I hope that's all it needs, the car is basically sound and should be good for a good few miles yet.

I'm very tempted to bid on the black princess on ebay now! I've even gone as far as checking flights to get it, and at today's prices I can get to Heathrow for £39! Very tempting, but I have an operation the get next month, and a 42 year old Princess would disintegrate in a winter up here living outside 400 yards from the North Sea

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I never noticed the driveshaft on the journey home either so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm happy enough with the car anyway.

Sent from my moto g(default_icon_cool.gif power using Tapatalk

That's good. Had it been not lowered and a higher driver seat I would have kept it. It would be great for my work. It feels far more airy and roomy than modern due to the large glass area and slim window pillars. That's progress I suppose, safety regulations to me means thicker window pillars which cuts down visibility, so aas far as I'm concerned are a double edged sword.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

Edit* Found one!

That’s who I got drive shafts for my Civic from recently. Couldn’t get them from Euro car parts or anywhere else local. Honda was well over £400. Got them delivered in under 24 hours for £130 the pair. 

RJC_8572

Changed the complete driveshaft on the rover so at least it has a better chance of passing the mot.

There's still a slight judder when reversing and pulling away in first so thinking it could be clutch, gearbox or engine mount related.

Also the rear shocks seem very bouncy so will be changing them shortly. I do think it looks great lowered but find it's not very practical so might look into standard springs when changing the shocks.

I don't think the knocking was coming from the exhaust, it's all tightened up now and still appears to be knocking, probably one of the rear shocks is totally knackered.

Going back  the best part of 20 years now, but I'm pretty sure we had an issue with one of these (it was the TD version, so not sure how much was different) through the garage which had an issue with a horrible judder when reversing which turned out to be that the rearmost engine/gearbox mount had completely disintegrated.  It looked absolutely fine at rest because of how things sat, but once unbolted it became immediately apparent that the two halves were no longer actually attached to each other.

Going back  the best part of 20 years now, but I'm pretty sure we had an issue with one of these (it was the TD version, so not sure how much was different) through the garage which had an issue with a horrible judder when reversing which turned out to be that the rearmost engine/gearbox mount had completely disintegrated.  It looked absolutely fine at rest because of how things sat, but once unbolted it became immediately apparent that the two halves were no longer actually attached to each other.
Come to think about it there's a bit of a clunk when starting up or shutting off the engine so you're most likely right about the engine mount.
Next challenge will be trying to find a replacement.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk