Retroshite

DodgyBastard

2 hours ago, rainagain said:

Is it just me or is your first response not nasty anyway? “Save up your pennies”, isn’t a terrible thing to say. 

I don’t think it was a particularly rude response. It’s no ruder than saying “You’ll have to dig a little deeper” when someone offers far less than what you would take under the asking price, which isn’t a rude response at all

I had someone on youtube complaining about my wheel arch repair being a bodge, I'm under no illusions about quality of the repair but apparently I should have removed the bumper and made the repair panel perfectly from a template etc. I only shared the video on here and had a look on their channel which consisted mainly of computer game videos and some banger racing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 10:41 AM, DodgyBastard said:

I had someone on youtube complaining about my wheel arch repair being a bodge, I'm under no illusions about quality of the repair but apparently I should have removed the bumper and made the repair panel perfectly from a template etc. I only shared the video on here and had a look on their channel which consisted mainly of computer game videos and some banger racing.

I have tried to share repair videos on You Tube which I thought might help someone. In the main the response was OK but there's always an adenoidal anorak who tells me I'm doing it wrong.

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

I have tried to share repair videos on You Tube which I thought might help someone. In the main the response was OK but there's always an adenoidal anorak who tells me I'm doing it wrong.

I'm just making the videos as a personal Vlog, I don't imagine there will be mass appeal for bodging a Hyundai Stellar but yeah, Youtube is full of know it all wankstains who would have done it so much better etc.

RJC_8092

RJC_8096

The 205 failed its mot in January on a bunch of brake related stuff which I couldn't be bothered sorting myself so farmed the job out to a local mechanic and £300 later I had a working 205 again. It went in for its test on Tuesday and barely made it out of the garage due to the crap tyres not gripping on the snow. It passed its test so we went and borrowed some wheels from the 305 estate with winter tyres and it's made an unbelievable difference to the traction in the snow.

RJC_8100

I would've loved to have had the Chevette out to play in the snow but I still need to buy a few bits and pieces such as a radiator, wiper motor and rear springs before I can mot it.

RJC_8102

RJC_8110

RJC_8117

RJC_8121

I took the Subaru out for a quick blast which was good fun but it's suffering from crap brakes and one of the front calipers binding quite badly. I really could be doing with finding a pair of front calipers and discs but they are pretty much non existent in the UK and out of stock on Rock Auto every time I look for them. The old pads were down to the metal and the brakes started binding when I rewound the pistons and fitted new pads. I think rebuild kits are available for them but the whole job of refurbishing them just fills me with dread and usually after all that effort the brakes are usually still knackered and new calipers are required...

you not able to fit 2 pot legacy or imprezza calipers onto them, okay any used ones will need ovehauling, not the worst job, get old pistons and seals off, hone the boress and fit stainless pistons and new seals, or if your skint clean up the pistons until all crud is removed then new seals..... @Flat4 you know anyone that can overhaul calipers

We really need some good onboard footage of the Subaru...

Do these have the same gearbox as the 1.6/8 Estates from around the same period?  I remember the 1.8DL a friend had back around 2000 was one of the most wonderful sounding cars I'd ever been in.  Between the raw (but not unpleasant) engine note and gearbox whine especially when moving off it was downright addictive - and why it tended to go everywhere flat out.

Was so disappointed the first time I drove an Impreza and found they'd added balancer shafts so had smoothed it out so much! 

I do love those little pickups though...aside from being so capable, they are just so perfectly styled to my eye.

17 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

We really need some good onboard footage of the Subaru...

Do these have the same gearbox as the 1.6/8 Estates from around the same period?  I remember the 1.8DL a friend had back around 2000 was one of the most wonderful sounding cars I'd ever been in.  Between the raw (but not unpleasant) engine note and gearbox whine especially when moving off it was downright addictive - and why it tended to go everywhere flat out.

Was so disappointed the first time I drove an Impreza and found they'd added balancer shafts so had smoothed it out so much! 

I do love those little pickups though...aside from being so capable, they are just so perfectly styled to my eye.

There you go!

2 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

There you go!

Yep...That's what I remember, burblybut pretty quiet at the bottom end but that really hard edged growl once the revs pick up was what hooked me the first time I was in one. 

Would love to find a 1.6 or 1.8 Estate...Probably a decent contender as a usable classic daily, aside from the fact they've all long since dissolved!

3 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

There you go!

The Brat is such a good looking little truck. Values are rising pretty rapidly too - definitely better than money in the bank. As an aside, your 340 isn't far off the plate on my uncle's old red 340 B120 PLP. He ended up replacing that with a newish E plate Maestro which seemed a bit fragile and frumpy in comparison. 

On 12/02/2021 at 19:28, Joey spud said:

I cant help with discs but i have a pair of front calipers up the shed that were fine when removed circa 2012.

If you want i will check them and see if there still ok ?

Well I've had the contents of my sheds out this weekend and i appear to no longer have them sorry.