Retroshite

DodgyBastard

It’s not that hard to get it through it’s mot if there’s no holes and it’s all sealed up . they’ve only got that little toffee hammer to hit it with.

My cortina looked super clean when I bought it but it was hiding rust, that’s just what they do .

Just read the RetroRides thread. The guy who bought it sounds like a bit of a helmet; he’s expecting a 40+ year old car bought sight unseen, particularly a type known to rot badly and prone to bodgery to keep it on the road in the late 80s, to be totally and utterly as it was on the day it was tested and not to have repairs (both good and bad) of any age.  An MoT is just a snapshot of the car on that particular day, opinions vary from tester to tester, and things can and will deteriorate after the examination. Foad’s replies to that thread were very honest.

According to this guide £2000 is about right for a mk4 that’s got a ticket but needs work. 

The best part of it he passes himself off as some kind of trader yet he appears to have no idea how to look up an mot. He takes a risk buying a shit old Ford without looking at it and it turns out it’s more shit than he expected-he took a risk and it didn’t pay off so he’s moaning.

Embarrassing.

I think the problem is it looks shiny in the photos so the guy probably thought he was getting a minter for nothing.
I'm a little bit disappointed that this guy bought it because there were another two buyers lined up who weren't traders and who would have had a better idea of what they were getting for the money, a ropey old ford in need of work.
Anyone else would have registered it as historic and used the mot exemption to keep it rolling while they continued to tart it up.
The buyer seems to be astonished that anyone was using it daily for the last few years but having used it daily for a month I didn't feel particularly unsafe, it was just shit to drive.dc12b1bc3460ccb2015cf57c79231ef4.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DodgyBastard said:

Stellar looks to be a great save. I'm guessing they're approaching single figures remaining in the UK now? 

The lad on the bike looks like he needs to cut back on the caffeine. It seemed a bit like a low-budget cinema flick - I was waiting for some gore or weird goings on. 

Mot ran out on my 305 in August and I've just gotten round to testing it again recently. It went in last week and failed on a few relatively easy things for me to fix so I've been spending each night in the garage after work doing a little bit. I had some minor issues with not having the correct tools so had to buy a few things that I'll probably only use for the one job like a 40mm socket for the hub nut...

I got it in for a retest today and got a pass. With that out of the way I'm thinking about selling the little red moon mileage 205.

2 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

See your old Niva's in Craptical Plastic's classifieds this month Foad, bargain at £2995!

It's an old advert I had on Classic cars for sale which I can't seem to delete.

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/lada/niva/aetv40604532

It's very annoying because they keep putting it into the magazines and I get phone calls about it all the time.

7 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Other than the fantastic cars, what's that fantastic chimney/tower/lift shaft? Can you access the top of it?

49789601428_39b737b5a8_c.jpg

49790145481_358c6dd399_c.jpg

49789602513_3796e4f557_c.jpg

I presume it was for winding gear or something pit related but I honestly have no idea, the inside of the tower isn't particularly interesting, it just has a couple of levels of concrete floor first accessed via spiral staircase inside a pitch black room off of one of the corridors in the main building then sets of ancient metal ladders up the other floors and onto the roof. It's pretty scary up there but my friend loves to climb things so jumped at the chance to climb onto the roof...

49789602173_dc395e2ca7_h.jpg

I'm pleased to see that you've taken this on to at least assess whether it's worth your effort to save.  There are probably 20 or so Stellar enthusiasts in the country so not much of a market. Perhaps mention that it is related to the MK4/5 Cortina for added appeal 😀.  I gave it away together with its service history docs.  If you want more photos from my ownership period (2010 - 2017) just ask.  I think I've still got the ebay advert from 2010. I rushed up to Carlisle to buy it having agreed to have it 'sight unseen.'  I was not disappointed.  The few problems I had were typical of many cars from that era e.g. corrosion, broken front spring cradle and a head gasket (oil leaking to the outside world but no mixing with coolant).  I hope the rough sounding engine is only a blowing downpipe joint. It was running beautifully when it left me and used as an everyday car without any 'will it get there' concerns.  Let us know what your verdict is, and good luck. 

On 10/15/2020 at 9:39 PM, Matty said:

I've just read it. Not even sure whyvyou could be arsed replying. I sold a honda 550/4 that hadn't missed or failed an mot in 40 years to a lad in Glasgow sight unseen.  Really lovely thing bit cosmetically tatty but mechanically mint. Proper survivor. He paid a grand and half when they were going for 3 for a minter. Then rang me up when his courier dropped it off to complain it needs the tank painting. I said you bring it back at your expense and ill give you your brass back. He didn't. Worlds full of fucking simpletons 

Best complaint I ever had after selling a car was that the 13 months MOT it was advertised was not the case. Well yes, after the eBay auction running for a week and another week waiting for collection, don't be surprised that it now only has 12.5 months MOT! They also complained that an indicator bulb had blown and there was less fuel than shown on the dashboard photos. Is it any wonder why folks don't like selling cars?

Anyway, glad to see you have upgraded from a Cortina to a much superior vehicle!

I'm pleased to see that you've taken this on to at least assess whether it's worth your effort to save.  There are probably 20 or so Stellar enthusiasts in the country so not much of a market. Perhaps mention that it is related to the MK4/5 Cortina for added appeal .  I gave it away together with its service history docs.  If you want more photos from my ownership period (2010 - 2017) just ask.  I think I've still got the ebay advert from 2010. I rushed up to Carlisle to buy it having agreed to have it 'sight unseen.'  I was not disappointed.  The few problems I had were typical of many cars from that era e.g. corrosion, broken front spring cradle and a head gasket (oil leaking to the outside world but no mixing with coolant).  I hope the rough sounding engine is only a blowing downpipe joint. It was running beautifully when it left me and used as an everyday car without any 'will it get there' concerns.  Let us know what your verdict is, and good luck. 
I've not had much of a chance to look at it apart from trying to get is started in the video, the battery was totally dead and the alternator doesn't appear to be working. There's a small temptation to rob some bits from it and stick them onto the blue one, the fuel pump on the blue one is leaking but I know if I do start swapping bits over there'll be less chance of getting it roadworthy again.

2 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

I've not had much of a chance to look at it apart from trying to get is started in the video, the battery was totally dead and the alternator doesn't appear to be working. There's a small temptation to rob some bits from it and stick them onto the blue one, the fuel pump on the blue one is leaking but I know if I do start swapping bits over there'll be less chance of getting it roadworthy again.

Thanks for an honest initial appraisal.  When I saw your video with the tall white tower/chimney I was expecting to see a Gold Medal Stellar perched on top, tower demolished, then your attempts to start it and drive round the yard old Top Gear style.  I won't be getting dewy eyed about this. My Tipo will successfully do that if the current £600 estimate to weld and MOT swells significantly.