Retroshite

DodgyBastard

49955950053_bf0a1519cb_c.jpgIMG_3483 by srblythe, on Flickr

49956736497_bb427eba55_c.jpgIMG_3484 by srblythe, on Flickr

49956449121_a8204ccf48_c.jpgIMG_3485 by srblythe, on Flickr

49956735947_08e80ec698_c.jpgIMG_3486 by srblythe, on Flickr

I was able to get the Lada on the ramp for a look underneath, it's in pretty good condition apart from the front chassis legs, it should be straight forward enough to repair or replace.

When the Lada arrived yesterday on a car transporter, it was jammed in gear, the clutch slave cylinder did appear to be moving when pushing the clutch pedal but obviously not moving it enough. After rocking it back and forward on the truck I got it out of gear and off the truck. 

I jumped in the Audi, it started for a few seconds, sounded funny then a little black smoke came from the exhaust and wouldn't restart. In the whole time I've had the car it's been fine and then when it's time for it to go it stops working. I'm stumped as to what it could be. It was driving fine the previous day.

The recovery driver was keen to get a move on so just winched it onto the truck and that was that.

I feel shady giving someone a now non running car as a trade for the Lada so have offered to give some money to compensate.

Yesterday I collected a large and very heavy work bench, the guy selling it forklifted it into the back of my ranger, it didn't quite fit but we managed to get it home by resting it on the tailgate at an angle.

Getting it out of the truck at the other end was a little bit more involved. I reversed the truck up to the ramp then used the ramp to lift the bench off the tailgate, I opened the tailgate then dropped the ramp lower than the bed of the ranger then pulled the bench onto the ramp.

I used wheel dollies in front of the ramp and slid the bench onto them then used an engine crane to flip the bench onto it's side (it was upside down to begin with) After that we pushed the bench over and used wheel dollies underneath to manoeuvre it inside.

49956735667_2f65f961a0_c.jpgIMG_3487 by srblythe, on Flickr

We spent most of the day tidying but I did manage to get some use out of the bench when welding the exhaust on my tractor...

1 minute ago, bramz7 said:

Pump timing on the Audi I would assume. Sounds like the alternator going on the Avensis just as I was selling it.

At least you've got the Lada now. Looks pretty decent. 

The Audi did always sound a bit funny when running, it sounded like an old transit and the tone of the engine was quite harsh compared to the sweet sound of an XUD...

1 minute ago, cort16 said:

Is that table all metal? Awesome for doing Weldy fabrication as you can just Earth the table.  I’d love something like that all be it a little bit smaller.

Yeah, it's all metal which is why it's so bloody heavy! I have a small metal workbench which has now been relegated to outside.

My friend who swapped me the lada for the Audi took the Audi to a garage and discovered that the fuel pump is knackered.
I was facing a bit of a dilemma, either I could swap back and be left with a car that I'd probably just weigh in or I could buy a replacement pump.
I had a quick look online and there didn't seem to be a lot of choice, new ones were around £1k and refurbished ones were £300-400.
My friend found one in Germany for £340 so I agreed to pay for it and that was the deal finally done.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Fuck that shit.
The previous owner of the Audi fitted a Volvo fuel pump possibly because they are easier and cheaper to get a hold of.

Had I not been in the middle of swapping I'd have just weighed in the car but having presented a good running car when agreeing to swapping and then the car failing to start in my possession I felt I had to pay something towards getting it going again.
If it had failed to start after a week I'd have said tough shit!

Out of interest why did they pigeon shit weld the sill corners of the Riva in vertical strips? Would it not have been easier to seam weld the edges or did they have a crap welder that wouldn't penetrate? 
I'd imagine they made slits in the metal to make it easier to shape and just haven't done a very good job of welding and dressing it.
I've no idea who did the welding or how long ago it was done.

49978557296_c26aa1a184_c.jpgIMG_3509 by srblythe, on Flickr

49978557936_5e06eafb92_c.jpgIMG_3506 by srblythe, on Flickr

49978557606_13585c8301_c.jpgIMG_3507 by srblythe, on Flickr

49978556371_198b67ae1b_c.jpgIMG_3539 by srblythe, on Flickr

The other Lada arrived yesterday along with a nice set of Fiat x19 wheels. It's basically a rolling shell with most of the parts just chucked inside it. I'm going to use parts from this one to make the other one complete. We already removed the clutch from it and fitted to the SLX yesterday so now it can at least be driven. I've never been a fan of the big chrome grille so probably going to swap it for the standard one on the other car along with the bonnet.

I'm toying with the idea of fitting the body to a 4x4 chassis or doing something silly with it. I wouldn't want to butcher the Niva for it because it's in such good condition.