Retroshite

DodgyBastard

It's the first bit that I struggle with.  I tend to find that cars I want are not the same as cars "people" want.  It seems that I am not "people".  By the time I have worked out what "people" want, everyone else has worked it out too and prices have already gone silly.
I never know what people want either but when I end up with a car that someone out there wants to give good money for I'll usually let it go.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

What's all this selling chod for more than you paid for it malarkey? 

(More to the point, how do I get in on that game?)

Was exactly my question as well.  

You should start offering seminars and training on how to autoshite properly like those 'I made a million in property and you can too' shysters.  Admittedly the market for such a thing is probably limited to a few strange people on this site.

58 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Was exactly my question as well.  

You should start offering seminars and training on how to autoshite properly like those 'I made a million in property and you can too' shysters.  Admittedly the market for such a thing is probably limited to a few strange people on this site.

My educated guess as to the theory of flipping cars like a Dodgy Bastard (tm).

1 - Buy an car for cheaps, no faffing about wondering about whether you should or not, please note that said car is probably at the far end of the known universe and it's advert consists of one upside down photo of a phone screen showing a photo of half the car and a description of "good car".

2 - Get your new purchase home and admire it amongst your fleet of other hideous shitters.

3 - Bung it up for sale in a few places with a half decent description at a price of more than you paid.

4 - Wait, safe in the knowledge that you don't actually need to get rid of the car, so it can just sit about until some lunatic wants to buy it.

What I like about DB's tat life is that cos he can weld, it opens up a whole field of (particularly 80's chod) that us indoor dwelling softie southerner types have to pass on...

Having said that, you've had a lot of post millennial junk this year too.

47 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

My educated guess as to the theory of flipping cars like a Dodgy Bastard (tm).

1 - Buy an car for cheaps, no faffing about wondering about whether you should or not, please note that said car is probably at the far end of the known universe and it's advert consists of one upside down photo of a phone screen showing a photo of half the car and a description of "good car".

2 - Get your new purchase home and admire it amongst your fleet of other hideous shitters.

3 - Bung it up for sale in a few places with a half decent description at a price of more than you paid.

4 - Wait, safe in the knowledge that you don't actually need to get rid of the car, so it can just sit about until some lunatic wants to buy it.

This^^^ Exactly this.

Then when you gain the reputation as someone who will buy any old shit other people will start offering stuff regularly.

1 hour ago, DodgyBastard said:

49195527906_9f9e9f2846_c.jpgRJC_2782 by srblythe, on Flickr

49195726317_22716d41bc_c.jpgRJC_2785 by srblythe, on Flickr

I took the 740 home tonight, it drives fine and seems to have a bit of power. I'm going to take it to work for the rest of the week and see how I like it.

I probably sold this new, I certainly was at Squire Furneaux Volvo Aylesbury when it was sold new.

I had two new Volvos in that reg run, first was G48 PUD in Aug 1989 a blue green met 240GL estate and the second was G68 PUD an Arctic blue 440 Turbo

240GL estate blue green G48PUD.jpg

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

It's the first bit that I struggle with.  I tend to find that cars I want are not the same as cars "people" want.  It seems that I am not "people".  By the time I have worked out what "people" want, everyone else has worked it out too and prices have already gone silly.

You are I.

@DodgyBastard My head still hurts from your list of cars you've owned in the last twelve months. I wonder what became of that gold 323?

12 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I probably sold this new, I certainly was at Squire Furneaux Volvo Aylesbury when it was sold new.

I had two new Volvos in that reg run, first was G48 PUD in Aug 1989 a blue green met 240GL estate and the second was G68 PUD an Arctic blue 440 Turbo

Did Squire Furneaux sell a lot of Volvos? Quite a few are on 'UD' plates including my S70. I have seen one with the amusing north of the border 'FUD' plate. 

1 hour ago, DodgyBastard said:

Then when you gain the reputation as someone who will buy any old shit other people will start offering stuff regularly.

This happened to me when I bought the Trab, near instantly got offered and purchased another one (currently waiting it's turn in the garage), and soon after that the matching caravan.  Then a guy locally was selling off three Trabis in various sorry states, made a good offer but was declined... so came very close to owning five!  

32 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Did Squire Furneaux sell a lot of Volvos? Quite a few are on 'UD' plates including my S70. I have seen one with the amusing north of the border 'FUD' plate. 

Yes, but my boss said not enough!

In Sep 1990 I had a Volvo 440 Turbo H263 FUD. I left June 1991 to work for a Vauxhall dealer.

Fleet reduction is going a little bit better, I've potentially sold a couple of cars today. Someone left a deposit on the Saab and didn't haggle on the £1800 asking price, the Ka should be going for £650 on Sunday.
That'll be a profit of £2150 roughly...
Nice.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk