Retroshite

DodgyBastard

The definite vibe I'm getting from that BMW interior is black-on-black-on-black to the extent that it actually pulls in all light from the surrounding area...

Got to love a wooden steering wheel though.  Had one on the Cappuccino, and it was lovely.  Probably the single component I miss the most - once I'd re-glued the thing to the spokes to stop it creaking endlessly anyhow.

post-21985-0-49346000-1543620939_thumb.jpg

300 quid is absolutely mental for one of these nowadays, no matter what condition. What a bargain! My brother owned a 320i (I think) 4-door in the past, sold it for some reason and later bought a 316i (I think) 4-door that he recently put a lot of work into. He keeps asking about buying my 528i to put its engine into his, which will never happen. But there is a point, M52 swaps are very common and apparently pretty straight forward, so why not go with a 2.8?

M50/52 swaps are too much aggro. Nothing fits and everything has to be modified. A standard 2.5 will drop straight in but the diff ratio will be too low. The Touring already has the fatter 51mm front struts and disc brake rear axle.

That's £1500+ as it stands with an MOT. Well purchased. A perfect uncracked E30 dash is now £400.

M50/52 swaps are too much aggro. Nothing fits and everything has to be modified. A standard 2.5 will drop straight in but the diff ratio will be too low. The Touring already has the fatter 51mm front struts and disc brake rear axle.

That's £1500+ as it stands with an MOT. Well purchased. A perfect uncracked E30 dash is now £400.

Unfortunately the dash does have a couple of cracks in it. I think if I was ever to seriously consider dropping in another engine it would be an m42 or m44. My last E30 touring I did start to swap an m42 into it but ran out of patience, enthusiasm, money and skill so ended selling it half finished to Bavarian retro. I'm sure the engine lived on in another touring.

Unfortunately the dash does have a couple of cracks in it. I think if I was ever to seriously consider dropping in another engine it would be an m42 or m44. My last E30 touring I did start to swap an m42 into it but ran out of patience, enthusiasm, money and skill so ended selling it half finished to Bavarian retro. I'm sure the engine lived on in another touring.

It did. A Laguna Green L registration one!

31178884067_54d9707411_c.jpgRJC_5751 by srblythe, on Flickr

Irish logbook has arrived for this so I'm going to continue with getting it registered and back on UK plates. Decided against selling it at the moment, I think it might be more worthwhile importing, getting it roadworthy and getting some use out of it before selling. 

31178884067_54d9707411_c.jpgRJC_5751 by srblythe, on Flickr

Irish logbook has arrived for this so I'm going to continue with getting it registered and back on UK plates. Decided against selling it at the moment, I think it might be more worthwhile importing, getting it roadworthy and getting some use out of it before selling.

I'd wager that getting a UK registration on it, an MOT and into regular use would improve its value greatly.

Wanky advert on carandclassic should see a modest profit I would have thought

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

What a barg that e30 was, looks a honey. Loving your fleet at the mo.

I know, I couldn't believe my ears when he said she wanted £300 for it! I got him to call her up right away to confirm it then went back the next day with the cash and a recovery truck.

I'd say the wheels, interior and steering wheel could be sold for around £900.

I am planning on keeping it though so all of that is irrelevant really.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

So your workshop/shite nerve centre is an old pithead building; did the tower thing have winding gear in it then? Interesting history.

I assume so, it was also used as an ncb training school in the 1980s. I think our unit used to be the boiler room and still has some old tiles on the walls.

The building really is quite shit, the roof leaks and it's freezing inside but cheap rent, 3 phase electricity and our own toilet makes up for it slightly.

Looks similar but ours was known as the "Alice pit" which I've never been able to find any photos of.

Ta-dah!

The 'Alice' pit, in the 1960s?

post-22262-0-79058300-1544315477_thumb.jpg

Visitors to the 'Alice' pit in 1953

post-22262-0-52472200-1544315477_thumb.jpg

The 'Alice' pit on the OS map some time between 1888 and 1913...

post-22262-0-22828600-1544315477_thumb.jpg

Here's an aerial image from between 1944 and 1950... not very clear but you can just make out the layout...

post-22262-0-44772800-1544315478_thumb.jpg

The 'Alice' pit was one of several pits at the Fordell colliery. Confusingly, there was another 'Alice' pit over in the Begg Colliery at Kirkaldy...but that's not the correct one!

The Scottish Mining Museum holds some photos of the correct 'Alice' pit.They are listed here:

https://canmore.org.uk/site/131059/fordell-colliery-alice-pit?display=collection

The Scottish Mining website is a good resource. Search on the home page for 'Alice'.

http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/377.html

The Alice Pit is mentioned here:

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cmhrc/genealogy/lom38scot.htm#FIFE

There is a lot of information and some photos of the Alice pit on the Fife Pits website here:

http://www.fifepits.co.uk/

Choose the 'Central Fife' index and then 'A' from the list. The 'Alice Pit, Fordell' is there in the index.

I assume so, it was also used as an ncb training school in the 1980s. I think our unit used to be the boiler room and still has some old tiles on the walls.

The building really is quite shit, the roof leaks and it's freezing inside but cheap rent, 3 phase electricity and our own toilet makes up for it slightly.

Has the shaft been filled in?

^^^ Happy to delete the post and PM FOAD/ShiteKnight with the details instead if it is preferred... not a problem. Let me know!

I think he was referring to someone on another thread who had never been able to purchase a car from Fife because of the seller being vague on the actual location and just answering Fife mate.

Where is it?

Fife.

Where in Fife?

Just Fife mate.

Etc etc.