Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Odd one that!

Luckily engine out is probably less than an hour's work with the gear you have there.

Two things...Number one, the top bolts on the bell housing as I recall are a total, absolute swine to get to. Two: the engine will try to flip itself upside down the moment it's freed from the car thanks to the way it's balanced.

While it's out, you'd be a fool not to change the clutch release bearing. They are made of cheese and like to fail at the drop of a hat. I've had four engines out of Estelles - every single sodding one to change that five quid bearing.

Biggest headache to sticking the later engine in is the mods needed to the sump and oil pick up as I remember, other than that it should be pretty much plug and play. Exhaust manifold may also be an issue, but I'd be surprised if there's not someone in Eastern Europe these days that doesn't have a kit on the shelf to do the job. These cars do have quite a strong following these days.

The cradle, under the sparking part of the dizzy (the bit driven from the cam but then the bob-advance drives the points plate) is peened/riveted onto the upshaft.

My cradle wobbled loose.... Coasted to a stop AND deffo NoGo! :(

Scrapper 105 donated a new lower assy, rebuilt with 130 bobs + points plate... £5 and Vrooommm ;)

We took the cars into Edinburgh today as background cars for a film which was being shot set in the mid 90's.

30741036027_35d2c99618_c.jpgRJC_5340 by srblythe, on Flickr

30741037397_56218d1714_c.jpgRJC_5336 by srblythe, on Flickr

45681629141_a3e4ed474e_c.jpgRJC_5305 by srblythe, on Flickr

43863692300_ee394d6596_c.jpgRJC_5282 by srblythe, on Flickr

It was an early start getting up at 5 this morning but the breakfast was free and we were finished by 2pm.

How did you manage to be part of the props/filming?

305/ proton look great BTW

A few years ago I became friends with someone who works in a prop store in Glasgow, he knew I had an ever changing collection of shite cars and put another guy who sources cars for film and tv in touch with me.

That's about it really, now when he needs a specific kind of car I get a phone call and send him photos of what I currently have on the road, it gets relayed to the production company and he get's back to me with a rough date and location and what he requires. It means I've got to be able to get the cars to him at short notice sometimes which can be a bit of a pain.

I found another Audi 80 going cheap locally so went and bought it this afternoon. It's the silky smooth 5 cylinder model.

44786197795_e640b91d86_c.jpgRJC_5364 by srblythe, on Flickr

30759646187_d737b6ce75_c.jpgRJC_5365 by srblythe, on Flickr

30759642987_144b9c5ab2_c.jpgRJC_5370 by srblythe, on Flickr

30759639757_d8d140f009_c.jpgRJC_5374 by srblythe, on Flickr

It's on 26k miles and in pretty good condition, the owner of it had died recently so the daughter was tasked with selling it. It was sold to me as a non runner but with the help of some easy start, fuel started coming through the lines and into the filters and it started running. I drove it around the yard, it's really quite smooth.

It's had a new pair of wings and a new sill fitted which need painted. I have all of the other bits to put it back together.

I spent a good portion of the day tidying, throwing out old tyres and swapping tyre/wheels etc. Mrs Foad helped out by fixing the rear lights on the polo by rewiring them and fitting new tyres onto the steel wheels.

45666060172_10e6f98f2a_c.jpgRJC_5381 by srblythe, on Flickr

45716813631_10db3b478a_c.jpgRJC_5384 by srblythe, on Flickr

45716812461_03ddec8467_c.jpgRJC_5385 by srblythe, on Flickr

44802750025_4fc0087620_c.jpgRJC_5396 by srblythe, on Flickr

I also dropped the fuel tank again in order to connect up all of the breather hoses on the filler neck, it was a bit fiddly and the space was tight so Mrs Foad helped out with that too.

The petrol 305's tyres were really crap so I swapped for the rallye steels from the diesel estate which have decent winter tyres fitted.

45716799671_e2139ae4b0_c.jpgRJC_5404 by srblythe, on Flickr

45666054122_822a87d015_c.jpgRJC_5388 by srblythe, on Flickr

I spoke to the painter next door and asked if he would paint the Audi's wings for me, I know if I do them myself there's a good chance that they will turn out rubbish so he said if I removed them and sanded them it would keep the price down. He lent me an orbital sander to help with it which was nice of him.

45716801761_161d26928e_c.jpgRJC_5397 by srblythe, on Flickr

The inner wings are fairly solid but look like they could be doing with some rust treatment prior to fitting the wings.

Safe travels for the broon tomorrow!

It's going to be a long day, after I collect the car I'm going to gateshead to collect a replacement carb for the polo then heading south to Melton Mowbray to collect an engine for the estelle then heading back up the road for a 5 hour long drive home.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

We took the cars into Edinburgh today as background cars for a film which was being shot set in the mid 90's.

43863692300_ee394d6596_c.jpgRJC_5282 by srblythe, on Flickr

It was an early start getting up at 5 this morning but the breakfast was free and we were finished by 2pm.

That's a familiar looking Audi convertible in the background of that photo.

Without checking number plates, is that 320T's one?

Although part of me also thinks it isn't even part of the set and it's just a random 'civilian' car left there, with nothing to do with anybody off here.

That's a familiar looking Audi convertible in the background of that photo.

Without checking number plates, is that 320T's one?

Although part of me also thinks it isn't even part of the set and it's just a random 'civilian' car left there, with nothing to do with anybody off here.

It belongs to an older gentleman who was also hiring his car out.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I got up reasonably early.

31931642128_9ed751aa12_c.jpgRJC_5406 by srblythe, on Flickr

Drove the 305 to the train station and jumped on a train heading south, a couple of hours later we arrived in Newcastle to pick up the roffle win Avensis.

44889775685_d1264520cf_c.jpg£15 car by srblythe, on Flickr

Left Newcastle and headed to Gateshead to collect a carb for the mk2 Polo then headed another couple of hundred miles south to collect a Skoda Estelle engine from Melton Mowbray

The car performed faultlessly, I really couldn't have hoped for a better car for the occasion. It's a little bit boring to look at but sometimes it's good to have an anonymous "leave anywhere" car - I do sometimes worry that my older cars will be mistaken for abandoned cars if I leave them anywhere out in the countryside when out walking so it will be good to have a car that nobody will take a second look at if left anywhere.

Anyway, I arrived to collect the Skoda engine, the seller was away in Austria but his grandad was left to deal with me, he was amused when he thought I had driven all the way from Scotland to collect the engine but when I explained that the first leg of the journey had been completed by train and the rest completed by car which I had "won" for £15, he couldn't believe my luck.

He actually thought that the car was much newer than it is, I think it's down to the the amazing brown colour and general tidy condition of the car.

45078166014_ced651e7bf_c.jpgRJC_5409 by srblythe, on Flickr

The engine was quite light and easily lifted into the back of the car, there's loads of space in the boot of the car.

After that we headed back up the road, got stuck in a bit of traffic which added an hour or so onto the journey time but still managed an average of 60mpg

30869045707_fc4350e1e2_c.jpgRJC_5416 by srblythe, on Flickr

I don't think that's too bad for a 1.8 petrol.

That sort of economy from a 1.8 petrol in a car that size astounds me

It over-reads a bit, as you would imagine, but even on pencil and paper genuine maths it does better than a 1.0 Yaris/K11 Micra.  Which is pretty amazing considering the size and weight of the thing.