Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Just caught up with this thread at the 'I've sold the Lada for £2600' moment, and now it's plummeted to this.

Bad luck Foad, it does have more than a whiff of scam about it. If it comes to a vote I like Bo11s 3rd and 4th suggestions.

In my head if you pay a deposit then go back on the deal, you lose the deposit, what's the point otherwise?

There was a stolen credit card scam that a few car dealers got caught up in . Paid for the car with credit card , all ID and everything checks out , they agree to deliver the car and the guy delivers it and the customer is in his front garden cutting the grass. All good

2 weeks later same customer calls up wanting to buy a car for his wife. Because previous transaction was okay he takes payment via credit card, delivers car to address .

a few days later the police turn up the credit card was stolen , all the documents are forged and the guy doesn’t live at the house.

money taken back, car gone

if you feel it’s dodgy it probably is 

Get it back through the bank? Eh? Pretty sure that's not possible right? 

I've had to pull out of purchases in the past, and with the exception of one, I've let the seller keep the deposit. 

This seems odd, hopefully not someone fronting for some kind of money laundering related thing 

It's probably some idiot who agreed to buy the car without asking the wife and how they have to pay the rent, or she simply took one look and flat-out refused to accept it.

Why not feed them some absurd story about how your dog got a hold of your phone and input your password wrong  3 times and the bank's anti-fraud team have told you it will be 8 weeks to unfreeze your account.

You could string them along with all kinds of nonsense really.

For heaven's sake, if it was a scam they would know how their scam worked. and wouldn't be threatening something they patently can't achieve!  It's virtually impossible to reverse a bank transfer; when I had to transfer a large amount of money my bank made me repeat the details about twenty times to make sure they got it right.

As per Snipes comment above, I'm even more sure now it's just a typical numpty who's realised they've done something daft/they didn't have permission to do and are getting desperate to get their money back.  Although hollow threats would certainly make me hang onto it a bit longer!

Dead simple.

Play along with their threats to get it returned from their end....explain that you can’t take the risk of paying them then you getting a ‘chargeback’ from their bank and you being out of pocket so you’re more than happy for them to claim it back through their own bank...that’ll be the easiest and safest for both of you.

Wonder if he’ll then have the balls to send you a message telling you he can’t actually do it that way? ?

In fact, if you really want to fuck with his head, you could mention that you were actually in the queue at the bank when you got his message...up until then, you didn't know it was even possible for him to reverse it from his end.

Finish by thanking him for bringing it to your attention so you can avoid getting caught out that way in the future ?

...this all sound very shifty to me; theres something motorviating her to constantly pester you re the 300; is it possible shes paid in the money via a forged bank draft? there are some forged bank drafts  these days that even fool the bank for 6 or 12 months, n its not till then that they attempt to unravel  whole paper trail ...

for me once a deposit is put down, that's binding both to you and the seller; renege n you've lost the deposit, or if your the seller, its your right to keep it - this is an unspoken agreement of terms; Ive been on the receiving end of both sides of the deposit agreement; ive just had to suck it up n move on...

2 hours ago, garbaldy said:

You are a hero most would have kept it.  Good show chap.

If I had kept the money I imagine they are the kind of people who would post all over facebook that I had ripped them off or conned them or whatever, drama I can be doing without.  I would have been inclined to keep it if I had told them from the get go that it was non-refundable but since it wasn't mentioned and they may well just be a moron who changed their mind I thought in the long run it was easier to send it back and forget about them.

4 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

My money on this is that it's someone who's decided to buy it without first consulting with their other half, and desperately trying to cover their tracks before the money being missing is noticed.

Not sure what it is about selling Ladas attracting idiots lately!

It can't have been that, it was the husband that initially contacted me offering the money then his wife phoned me and spoke about the specifics of the deal, she agreed to send a deposit then I would deliver it and she would pay the rest in cash.

They do look like a pair of jakeys and looking through their facebook profiles didn't fill me with confidence that they were the kind of people who would want a Lada but they had both seen photos of the car and had read the description so I thought I might as well go along with it.

15 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

It can't have been that, it was the husband that initially contacted me offering the money then his wife phoned me and spoke about the specifics of the deal, she agreed to send a deposit then I would deliver it and she would pay the rest in cash.

They do look like a pair of jakeys and looking through their facebook profiles didn't fill me with confidence that they were the kind of people who would want a Lada but they had both seen photos of the car and had read the description so I thought I might as well go along with it.

From Annan, says it all.