Retroshite

DodgyBastard

3 minutes ago, gm said:

you drove to Wick ? that's commitment to the cause :) 

Yeah, initially we had planned to do the swap in Inverness which would have saved me a bit of time ( 3 hours away)  but he was unable to do it this weekend so I suggested I just drive all the way to him which was around 5 hours one way.

49148037193_9190ac9c1a_c.jpgA long drive by srblythe, on Flickr

49044179903_873f10fa1c_c.jpgRJC_2367 by srblythe, on Flickr

My little workhorse Lada is potentially off to a new home on Saturday, a deposit has been left and I need to deliver it to Dumfries. Wasn't desperately trying to sell other than an advert on Car and classic at an inflated price but someone made a decent offer of £2600 on facebook and I had to weigh up what I'd rather have, one less car to worry about and the money or a Lada Riva?

Now I just need Zelandeth to swap his Lada for my Saab 900 and I'll be back to where I was!

Youre on fire at this shiting lark FOAD. £2600!!!! I have no real idea what these are worth but that sounds like a fucking DEAL for you. 10/10

Yeah, the good is outweighing the bad, had a couple of shitters I lost money on this year but seem to be doing ok. I've been saving for the last couple of years and instead of just blowing it straight away on more shite I've been sticking some of it in the bank.

Late 8v injection is a good match to the auto I reckon.  Bit slow initially off the line, but is plenty punchy in the mid range.  30-70 dash will leave a normally aspirated 16v manual for dead.  Much to the surprise of my mate who had the 16v one...
Basically the saloon version of my old blue one...you got the deal of the century there I reckon.  Those command a decent price these days...even if the autos are a bit Marmite like it seems.  You either like them or you don't.  I reckon it actually suits the feel of the car really well.
Doesn't suit the 16v though, the torque curve is all wrong and makes it feel really gutless.
That looks bloody minty fresh...even the usually rotten fuel cap.  How are the door bottoms and driveshaft tunnels?
Swap for a fuel injected Riva Estate?
With my lada away to a new home on Saturday I could potentially be interested in a swap...

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

With my lada away to a new home on Saturday I could potentially be interested in a swap...

Consider me definitely still interested.

Let me talk it over with the family to make sure I won't get beheaded (can't really see it being an issue as the values can't be vastly different I'd have thought). 

Only other thing I'd need to get done obviously would be to stick an MOT on it as you're not likely to be interested in MOT-less motor.  Especially given it's at the opposite end of the country.

Want me to compile a full to do list for you so you know what you're letting yourself in for?

I'd really like to see something else parked on the drive at this point!

...And I seriously miss my Saab.

EDIT: Can't sleep, so here we go.

[] OSF brake caliper weeping from a piston seal.

[] Exhaust is more bodge than pipe.

[] Tidy up some wiring & piping from injection conversion.

[] Attach the ECU to the under dash shelf and reinstate the glove box.

[] Replace rumbly rotoflex coupling (supplied)...it vibrates a bit >70mph.

[] Replace front wings (supplied).

[] Heater fan needs stripping and lubricating (normal at this age).

[] Radiator fan needs the third support let reattached (had to chop it to clear the crankshaft position sensor boss).

[] Engine bay splash guard needs refitting.

Think that's about it to be honest unless I've forgotten anything.  A lot of that could have been done recently if I hadn't just utterly lost my mojo with it.

To be honest...if you fancied it as it is, I'd happily hand you the keys and a bit of cash in exchange for a working Saab.  Could potentially mean I could leave off sorting the Citroen till after Christmas which wouldn't be a bad thing...

1 hour ago, adw1977 said:

Yes, be very careful that you really have the £300 before paying it back.  If that means your indecisive "buyer" has to wait then that's his tough luck.

WHS.

If it isn't a scam you have to wonder how these people manage to have 2 large spare one second and then can't spare £300 the next.

If it was a smaller deposit (£100) or so I'd not even entertain the idea of refunding it purely due to the guy's tone in the last message...

I don’t think you can keep it realistically. Morally of course you can, but £300 is a lot of money and people will go to reasonable lengths to get that much back, potentially leading to a level of hassle which is not worth £300.

I reckon your options are:

1. Just give it back for an easy life
  2. Wait ages to piss them off, then give it back
  3. Give them it back at £50/week for 6 weeks (give them some BS story about already spending it on a vets bill for your Komodo Dragon or whatever)
  4. Give them £250 back, give the other £50 to a foodbank and tell the buyer if theyre not happy to go and ask for it back off the foodbank

Could be. How did he pay? PayPal?
They paid by bank transfer. They were supposed to send a £600 deposit but said they had hit their limit for the day so would give me £300 last night and another £300 today but they didn't make the second payment and decided to change their mind.

I vote option three. The whole purpose of a deposit is a means of demonstrating your honest intent to complete the purchase so you can't change your mind and expect an easy, hassle-free refund. I agree with Mr Bolz that it's not worth the hassle of keeping it, but you should definitely string him a long and drag it out as long as possible