Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Yep...there had been some less than pretty patches done there before.  Including one that was mine done in sideways hail the day before the MOT.  Sorry about that.

Yeah...you already having a Riva Estate is kinda a drawback to an otherwise flawless plan! 

Just want the thing moved on at this point... ideally wants space back...but I'd happily take a car I'm actually interested in.  MGB is top of the wish list (thanks Six-Cylinder...), Nova Antibes, proper Fiat Panda, an early Metro, maybe an Ambassador as I've always fancied a wedge, but a C900 definitely wouldn't be sniffed at either.

5 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

48886476872_96172110f3_c.jpgRJC_2067 by srblythe, on Flickr

49073860133_1dc30c1acb_c.jpgRJC_2381 by srblythe, on Flickr

Mot time for both of these which one will pass? which one will have the biggest fail list?

Place your bets now!

That's a tough one... I'll go - both fail and LADA biggest fail list?

Unless you're leaving* a £20 note on the passenger seat of each car...

That's a tough one... I'll go - both fail and LADA biggest fail list?
Unless you're leaving* a £20 note on the passenger seat of each car...
Having driven both recently I think the ka has a better chance of passing. I won't be leaving any kind of bribes and just fix whatever needs doing.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

Having driven both recently I think the ka has a better chance of passing. I won't be leaving any kind of bribes and just fix whatever needs doing.

Indeed... I've seen you've got the skills... I was only joking ?

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

Kinell, £90 car and it pisses the test. Fair play sir. 

I did spend a couple of hours welding it on Sunday but yes it was very pleasing for it to have passed so easily. It does drive absolutely fine and has a decent set of tyres on it and other than the welding needing done when I bought it, I really couldn't see it needing much else.

Now with 13 months mot, I have a 2008 car that owes me a total of £135. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:26 PM, Zelandeth said:

4/5 door doors always go there. 

The rear doors on these close with possibly the most satisfyingly solid sounding thud of those on any car I've had.

The driveshaft tunnels are probably the biggest killer of 900s as they fill up with crap and never dry out.  By the time the for breaks the surface externally, quite a bit of remedial work is needed.  Often it gets bodged as to do a proper "cut it all out and rebuild" job involves dismantling most of the front suspension.  I think finding four layers of metal there on my first one was my record.

If you do get bored with it, do feel free to drop me a line.  Lada will come with a full year's ticket and fresh wings waiting to be fitted.  The EFI side of things works just fine, just wants tidying up... I've just really fallen out of love with it because of the hassle I've had with a couple of prospective buyers (not on here - folks off the street responding to the for sale sign) and would rather have something I'll actually enjoy in its place right now.  If someone else gets a car they can enjoy out of the deal... I'm all for it.

My previous C900 was next to my current Xantia, the most overwhelmingly competent all round car I've ever owned I think and is a car I'll always miss.

IMGP0283.thumb.JPG.78afa6d9db6bf904481c04ebbfde92b0.JPG

The 16v engine is outright more powerful...but it's more peaky in its power delivery.  The 8v delivers much more of a big lump of torque in the middle of the rev band...which just happens to match up with the gear ratios really well.  It's one of those situations where on paper it looks the inferior choice...but in reality "just works" in my experience...even if a lot of the Saab crowd turn their nose up at them.

They really do handle far better than they should too, though are more sensitive to tyres than a lot of cars.  Uniroyal generally seem to get the vote.

Agreed best all rounder car I have driven. Dad had the 900i 16v manual. Same colour as FOAD's. Handled well, drove well. Fond memories of the A701 down into Moffat from Edinburgh. Brother inherited it and put an auto in it due to his health. Absolutely ruined it.

9 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

It sounds good and goes well, it's not actually as noisy as I was expecting, I think my chevette is noisier to drive.

It's all the weight saving from removing the carpets.  Any idea what you'd sell it for ? I guess it probably better as a swapper if you're looking for something older.

49111371641_0165cca609_c.jpgRJC_2514 by srblythe, on Flickr

49111368771_56efe736f2_c.jpgRJC_2505 by srblythe, on Flickr

49110866488_cc4fb1fc23_c.jpgRJC_2503 by srblythe, on Flickr

49110867468_3d10d9322b_c.jpgRJC_2506 by srblythe, on Flickr

49111365371_13648f3014_c.jpgRJC_2489 by srblythe, on Flickr

I fitted the majority of the interior back into the car, all that really seems to be missing now is the carpet and headlining and maybe a couple of bits here and there.

It feels a much nicer place to be with the rear seats and door cards in and deadens the sound of the exhaust and general road noise.