Retroshite

DodgyBastard

WHS.
If it isn't a scam you have to wonder how these people manage to have 2 large spare one second and then can't spare £300 the next.

That's exactly what I'm wondering, I'm not sure how it could be a scam but something doesn't feel right about the whole situation.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I consider myself a reasonable and honest man.
Deposits are non returnable in my book.
I might change my mind and not go through with a purchase, but I wouldn't ask for my deposit back.

I left a deposit on the car before I purchased it and was close to changing my mind when the seller started to mess me around by not turning up when I had arranged to collect it.
I was close to just telling him to fuck off and not buying and would have been prepared to lose my deposit if I'd done so, never would I have asked for it back.

2 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

They paid by bank transfer. They were supposed to send a £600 deposit but said they had hit their limit for the day so would give me £300 last night and another £300 today but they didn't make the second payment and decided to change their mind.

Billy bullshit more like; there's no limit on a bank transfer, it's not a sodding cash machine.

There's just something niggling that there's something a bit dodgy about the situation.
A guy on Facebook commented on a photo of the lada asking if there was any chance I'd sell it, I said there was a small chance I'd let it go and wanted £2850 for it, he asked for some more details and said he could go to £2600 if it was delivered.
He said the car was for his wife and he was away working at sea.
His wife called me saying she wanted the car and would give me £600 deposit then pay the rest in cash when the car was delivered. I said I would deliver it personally by driving it to her on Saturday, she backtracked a little and said Saturday was fine if it wasn't an inconvenience to me but would be happy to wait for a couple of weeks if needed if it made things easier.
I insisted Saturday was fine.
After the call ended she sent me £300 and claimed to have reached her limit for the day and would send the rest today only to message this morning to say she had changed her mind and her circumstances had changed.
I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt but something about it just doesn't sit right with me.

2 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

They paid by bank transfer. They were supposed to send a £600 deposit...

I suppose if it were a scam they would jump at the chance to do you over for £600 rather than £300.  Still worth checking with your bank that there's no way the transfer to you can be reversed.

49 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Billy bullshit more like; there's no limit on a bank transfer, it's not a sodding cash machine.

Sometimes you can send up to a certain amount to a person you haven't paid before via a mobile app but above that amount there's some additional faff with logging onto the website or using a card reader that you may or may not be able to find when you need it.

The bank details they've supplied, are they the same as the account the money came from originally or a different account? If it's the latter I would be suspicious.

Personally I would have a word with your bank and ask for their professional advice before you proceed.

They may be able to reverse the original transaction on your behalf which I imagine would be the safer way of doing things. Certainly if the "buyer" has insisted on you refunding to a different account.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

You say that you haven't been inconvenienced, but in fact you have.

If you have actually had £300 transferred to you, I would keep it and see what if anything happens.  AFAIK a bank transfer can't be reversed by the originator.

It seems to me that the buyer has changed their mind, as they sometimes do, and you being a nice guy have mentioned that you are not desperate to sell, etc. and so she is trying it on or possibly just doesn't understand what a deposit is for.    That's the general public for you.

Turn it around on it's head and tell him you're actually a Nigerian prince, you've come into a lot of money, and would like his account and PIN details so you can pay a life-changing sum of groats into his account as you like him and want to help him out. 

Or send around Billy, assuming he's big.

Do they want the money sent back to the same account it came from? Could they possibly have hacked someone else’s  account, then sent the money to your account. They then ask you to send it to another account which they can withdraw from. X months down the line the bank will try and reclaim the first money sent to you as it wasn’t authorised by the account holder???

I’d speak to your bank before going any further and I also agree the tone of the message isn’t great. If I’d paid a deposit and changed my mine I’d expect to lose it. If I was asking for it back I’d be a lot more apologetic for wasting your time. 

99% chance it's genuine.  People are just numpties.  If you can confirm the account they want it refunded to is the same as the one paid from I'd just give them the money back and move on.  Life's too short.

And there can't really be any moral highground on here.  I 'sold' a car on here last year to a shiter of much higher repute than myself and took a deposit.  Two weeks later they checked their insurance and backed out.  Deposit returned,  I may have had a bit of a moan to myself but not worth protracted aggro.

Just my opinion like!

Personally, i think it's a scam.

Either she's going to claim she paid the other £300 and wants £600 back or is using you to basically transfer someone elses money back to them. Or i guess depending on how she "paid", it could be similar to a bounced cheque, it shows on your account as cleared, you refund and when alls said and done and the computers all work it out, the original £300 disappears and you've given her £300 of your own money. It's a lot harder to do these days though.

I don't see why they'd have been looking at spending £2600 on a Lada and are desperate for £300 back a few hours later for bills. It's possible but very unlikely.

Would definitely expect more explanation and apology, maybe even trying to work it out with you, ask if you can hold onto the car for a few weeks. If they ever truly wanted it, they would try and find a way IMO. Just saying the deals off, refund.... nah, stinks to high heaven.

Anyway, i'd say hold onto it for a bit. Stall. See what happens with your bank first and speak to them. Assure her mean time that when all checks out at your end, you'll refund her. You never said anywhere it was a refundable deposit. It's goodwill, these things happen,  but make sure you "can't right now", money tied up, Tell her your circumstances have changed too and you have your own big Billy to pay.....

If it were my £300 I was potentially losing I'd be careful to the point of being a dick about it.

If it's a genuine piss taker who's sobered up in the morning and had a 'WTF did I agree to last night?' moment then hanging off for a week or two while you make damn sure the money was in your account in the first place  is a fair punishment for messing you about.

If they're relatively OK with that it's likely that's all it was, but if it's a scam they'll be terrified of being caught out by the bank not honouring whatever type of payment they've used and you'll get ever more desperate/threatening messages.