Retroshite

DodgyBastard

I don't think any of the blame lies with the mot tester, even if there was no rust it would have still snapped because it was a seized trailing arm bush which caused the body mounting to stress and fatigue and eventually break.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Just figure this is worth asking as you seem to have had a fair selection of 80s Mercs through the doors...

Don't suppose you've any 14" wheel trims of the type with the body coloured insert in the centre laying around do you?  Seem to recall they weren't uncommon on the W123, though 15" is more common.

I'm after four for the van so I can ditch the Halfords pound bin monstrosities it's currently fitted with.  Not so worried about colour as I can easy paint them.  Don't need to be immaculate either, presentable from ten paces is the best the van will ever be.  I've tried to buy several sets off eBay now, but every one that's sold for a vaguely sensible price has mysteriously been "listed in error" because the seller didn't think he was making enough obviously.

Given how many of these cars were around back in the day which have long since dissolved, I can't believe there's such a demand for wheel trims... especially given the first thing folks seem to do is stick alloys on anyway on buying a car.

I'm assuming the various alloys wouldn't be even close to load rated for 2.8t of van.  Which is a shame as 80s Merc factory alloys in pretty much any of their styles would suit it really well I think.

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Just figure this is worth asking as you seem to have had a fair selection of 80s Mercs through the doors...

Don't suppose you've any 14" wheel trims of the type with the body coloured insert in the centre laying around do you?  Seem to recall they weren't uncommon on the W123, though 15" is more common.

I'm after four for the van so I can ditch the Halfords pound bin monstrosities it's currently fitted with.  Not so worried about colour as I can easy paint them.  Don't need to be immaculate either, presentable from ten paces is the best the van will ever be.  I've tried to buy several sets off eBay now, but every one that's sold for a vaguely sensible price has mysteriously been "listed in error" because the seller didn't think he was making enough obviously.

Given how many of these cars were around back in the day which have long since dissolved, I can't believe there's such a demand for wheel trims... especially given the first thing folks seem to do is stick alloys on anyway on buying a car.

I'm assuming the various alloys wouldn't be even close to load rated for 2.8t of van.

I have a set of 14" chrome hubcaps in the boot of the 240D, I think two of them might be missing the clips to hold them on, I don't know if they can be repaired or not but you're welcome to them.

Yes please!

Sure the clips can be improvised if necessary.  I'd be ensuring a discreetly placed pair of cable ties were in place on both sides anyhow...always do these days after one of the trims on by first Saab came alarmingly close to beheading a pedestrian when it escaped one day!

Will drop you a PM.

Fifty shades of red!

48212975542_3dfcccf70c_c.jpgRJC_0794 by srblythe, on Flickr

48212921496_6d7483f6ab_c.jpgRJC_0796 by srblythe, on Flickr

48212976822_004a11d65e_c.jpgRJC_0797 by srblythe, on Flickr

48212923066_50bbf86ce3_c.jpgRJC_0798 by srblythe, on Flickr

48212978142_916c7c3f30_c.jpgRJC_0799 by srblythe, on Flickr

48212978967_879a2cdee4_c.jpgRJC_0801 by srblythe, on Flickr

48212925291_2f91eba4b3_c.jpgRJC_0803 by srblythe, on Flickr

It definitely looks better in photos, up close it's clearly had bodywork repairs, the rear arches have been filled at some point, the only thing really giving it away is the different shades of red where the repairs have been made.

It's a 1.6 petrol with 5 speed manual gearbox, it goes pretty well, seems a bit chuggy at lower speeds. 

I've seen that about kelso  quite regularly the  guy always has some interesting cars, he's been trying to sell that for some time and the price has slowly been getting  lower by the month,  Nice buy,  I've got a spare set of rallye steel wheels here that came from knob van if any good.

7 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

Fifty shades of red!

48212975542_3dfcccf70c_c.jpgRJC_0794 by srblythe, on Flickr

.....it definitely looks better in photos, up close it's clearly had bodywork repairs, the rear arches have been filled at some point, the only thing really giving it away is the different shades of red where the repairs have been made.

It's a 1.6 petrol with 5 speed manual gearbox, it goes pretty well, seems a bit chuggy at lower speeds. 

Looks alright. Would look intriguing with custom-made "Talbot" and "Arizona" badges.....

2 hours ago, garbaldy said:

I've seen that about kelso  quite regularly the  guy always has some interesting cars, he's been trying to sell that for some time and the price has slowly been getting  lower by the month,  Nice buy,  I've got a spare set of rallye steel wheels here that came from knob van if any good.

Yes, some rallye steels might be a good choice of wheel for it. How much are you after for them?