Retroshite

DodgyBastard

I went for a look at the E28, it's a 518 manual in faded red.

33679618208_d2ae233bff_k.jpgRJC_8166 by srblythe, on Flickr

The guy would have taken £800 for it which is pretty good for an E28 with a years test but it does have a few issues that put me off so I decided not to buy it right there and then but I'm still considering it...

800 notes for an E28 with a full test?

Didn't think they existed for under £2k with actual floorpans.

It does need work but hopefully won't need a lot of welding, there are areas of rust outwith the testable areas in the mot.

The guy selling wanted £800, I went for a look and discovered it will need a clutch very soon, the brake pedal mechanism is sticking, I think lubricating and using it will free it off and the instrument cluster is dead, no illumination, rev counter, temp or fuel gauge and the speedometer does work all that well.

I offered £600, he declined and I walked away.

He contacted me yesterday and said I could have it for £700 so I agreed and he dropped it off last night.

He doesn't drive but him and his pals buy and sell cars a lot. I think he picked it up cheap, did the bare minimum to get it in for a test then sold it quickly for a small profit.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Isn’t speedo illumination a fail or is that only on newer cars?

Might be a really good quality* test, like.

Still a barg and I’m sure you’ll get it sorted in no time

Who knows, it went in for a test, failed on welding, had welding done and passed. I know who welded it and who tested it and am confident it's been done to a high standard and tested fairly.

40607956663_a7393d483a_k.jpgRJC_8167 by srblythe, on Flickr

40607956273_9fd892f8a4_k.jpgRJC_8169 by srblythe, on Flickr

47521094172_ecc7bf62aa_k.jpgRJC_8172 by srblythe, on Flickr

46850099264_2e79485a28_k.jpgRJC_8175 by srblythe, on Flickr

47574032791_2b4aac266a_k.jpgRJC_8176 by srblythe, on Flickr

47574032101_4c39cbb651_k.jpgRJC_8177 by srblythe, on Flickr

47574031441_17878a2237_k.jpgRJC_8178 by srblythe, on Flickr

46850097694_78fd9965c1_k.jpgRJC_8180 by srblythe, on Flickr

Think it might need polished a little...

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite - couldn't give a fuck - cars was the £400 E28 528i with full ticket from the bay of E. It towed anyhing and everything, took us all over Europe and I ALWYAS drove it like  I stole it (at that price I did!). It was just immense...….

Sadly written off when a drunk driver slammed into it and the Pajero one night….. totalled all one side of it before ploughing into the rear corner of the Pajero.

They are fantastic cars. Well snaffled fella

EDIT - it was £400 for a reason - the interior was shredded beyond belief and the paintwork, although all 'silver' was like it had been painted by the blind artexing hobby club...…… then the proper stripes added by Hawking on a trampoline...…….. just horrendous in every way. A Belgian plod pulled along side, looked at me - shook his head and drove off.…… didn't even bother himself with it - he was in disbelief.

It doesn't have wheel spacers, I like the way it looks now.

I wonder if the wheel offset is a bit "scene"

Just look too far out to me, but if it doesn't tramline and it's stable on B roads then all is good.

The whole car is a bit "scene" my mate owned it a few years ago, we fitted an engine from a mk3 golf then he added fuel injection from a polo gt, schrick high lift cam and a stainless exhaust manifold.

It's been lowered and has corrado front seats fitted, has a debadged grille and smoked headlights and indicators.

The wheels are a set of 13x6 bbs mahles from an e21 bmw.

It handles well and doesn't tramline although it could possibly be doing with wider tyres, it wheel spins a little bit too easily in the dry.

I haven't been in a single 2door Polo of this model without is being 'scene'...… so have no clue as to the actual original ride quality - are they any good straight out of the box? I've always had my teeth rattled, obviously

I ran a 3 door Mk2F in povo spec Fox trim a few years back; other than a cackhanded effort on the part of a previous owner to fit a stereo and fag lighter in an effort to make it less dismal (and some 'orrible Lidl wheeltrims and seat covers from me to make it more saleable), it was pretty much stock.

post-17915-0-79335900-1556539974_thumb.jpg

100k on it so slightly baggy, and noisy as anything with barely any soundproofing, but it was a hoot to drive. Ride not dissimilar to my Mk2 Fiesta; hardly earth-shattering but not hard or rattlesome, and still very chuckable on rural roads. It felt a lot faster than it actually was.

Nicely bought; been a while since I saw a 2-dr.

Lovely looking Ovlov there Mr SK. A friend"s dad had an old 245 estate as part of his fleet when we were at school, lovely old bus. His was a pre facelift one.

My old dad made 2 Volvo 245s last from 1978 to 2004 , a P reg auto and a B reg manual,it'd be 1987 when he bought the B reg , he really wanted an auto but they were all double the miles for the same money

He was gutted when he saw the P reg coming the other way 2 years after he sold it

I can hear him now , look my old Volvo, I could've bloody kept that

Just had a look and the tax ran out in 1994, if he'd ever found out it was still going 6 years after he sold it he'd have been really pissed off

I've had more cars in 3 months than he had in 20 years

Polo failed, wheel bearings, blowing exhaust and bulbs mainly. Not the worst really.

190E was relatively cheap at £595 but didn't buy it for a number of reasons, the main one was the sellers reluctance to let me drive it, it was out of mot and he just wasn't for me insuring it and booking it in for a test and driving it home. I couldn't tell if he was hiding something or if he just wasn't a dodgy bastard.

Decided to try getting the beige W123 and Audi 80 roadworthy instead of buying anything else.