BMW 120i M Sport Hatch 2007

Essex V6

Not my cup of tea personally, but I have a mate who has asked my opinion on these.

Being post 1980's I know nothing about these cars.

The one he is looking is badermatic.

Anyone have any experience of these and, if so what is your view on them?

Thanks Muchly

I think these have a 4 pot in them I think you need to got to a 130 to get a 6 pot in these.

It'll probably go alright and be decent on fuel. They've got that horrible interior BMW put them in at this time and to my eyes they're well fugly (and I own a nissan Juke)

I had two of them as company cars, did 80,000 in each of them over four years.

against:- ugly as fuck, odd-shaped boot and very little rear leg room.

for:- you can't see how ugly it is from the drivers seat, I found it very comfortable, 56mpg, fast when it's needed and never broke down.

M-Sport suspension can be crashy and harsh unless your local roads are billiard table flat. It was possible to de-spec to 'normal' suspension that was used on the SE etc. Handling is superb though on either set-up and the car is comfortable, unless you're tall and travelling in the rear.

Marmite styling that I quite like, though many hate. 

Be wary of noisy timing chains that warn of impending failure to proceed, but that is mainly on N47 diesel variants.

Driven plenty of 5 door 1 series hire cars over the years.

They drive pretty well & good fun with the small wheelbase & rwd, but the smaller engined ones are a bit* lethargic. The m sport specced versions are a bit* harsh on rough roads. All versions like to tramline on the motorway

Avoid any fitted with runflats like the plague, always seemed to get punctured either that or the sensors were shit. Possibly both.

I quite fancy one as a daily at some point & was always chuffed when they sent me a 123d - its got 400 torques, same as the M135! Not sure I'd run a diesel one as my own car though... apparently they eat their timing chains so a 120i would do for me.

*very

They plucked the 123d motor out the 1 series and put it in the d3 3 series alpina with some tweaks as it was supposed to be a really sweet motor (as far as a diesel motor can be obz).

Run flats ruined the ride of all this generation of BMWs. Fit a spare wheel to the boot lid Rover P6 style.

M-Sport Its a modern car so the suspension can be crashy and harsh unless your local roads are billiard table flat. 

FTFY. Like all modern cars they are designed for that 1% of the time you might want to drive it like a dick making the other 99% an absolutely dreadful driving experience

My ex had one on a 10 plate, did quite a few miles in it for a few months and I have to say that they're right, it was harsh, bumpy, too low down and uncomfortable.  Run-flat tyres probably had something to do with it and they were very expensive to replace too.  She liked it but I found it odd, very heavy clutch, terrible visibility.  It ate up motorway miles pretty well but I was always glad to climb out of it.  It did feel like a high-quality item but it was also less well specced than my Kia C'eed despite costing over twice as much when new!

Caning a 116i was about the most fun I've ever had on a test drive. Dealer was absolutely terrified, which then changed to barely-disguised fury when I said "I love it! It's like a 21st Century Chevette!".

Downsides: Crappy small windscreen so it's like watching the world through a letterbox, gearlever too far back for me, everyone thinks you have a 1-series because you can't afford a proper BMW.

My conclusion was to get an RX8 instead.

∆ What is it with test driving BMW? I tested mine and after a leisurely 3 figure thrash down motorway the salesman told me he would drive back, no way said I and slipped of up some back roads on the way back, he was pretty cross with me until I agreed to buy it haha

Mind after having two not sure I would want another,

Seat airbag warning problems aside nothing went wrong,

If I remember correctly when I called dealer for cost of repair they couldn't give a rough idea of cost or time it would take, apart from telling me the labour rate was 140 odd an hour

Oh, I test drove everything like that, Borders roads have that effect on you (as you should know looking at that thingy saying Berwickshire :D ). Used to be everyone in the Borders drove that way, but it looks like some SUV-driving city-folk-in-the-country have moved in lately and as such, it's not one of Nairn's HGV trucks doing 60 around bends (but on the right side of the line) you've got to worry about, it's 20mph Discoveries halfway in your lane.

Wait, that should be in the grumble thread.

Also, having taken apart BMW's finest moment, the E39, I conclude they have build quality on par with an MG 6.

I had a 2 door 1300E which I sold for. I think £700!

This is how old people feel, isn't it, when they go to classic car shows.

"I had one of those when you could buy them for £150!"

"What was it, grandad"

"A Mk 3 Ford Capri Laser"

*cries*

Personally I like the 1 Series (I would, I've got one) find them pretty good to drive I like the looks, and unless your mate carries people in the back often I wouldn't worry about the rear space no one has ever complained in the back of mine ;-)

Only problem is no one lets you out at junctions...

This is how old people feel, isn't it, when they go to classic car shows.

"I had one of those when you could buy them for £150!"

"What was it, grandad"

"A Mk 3 Ford Capri Laser"

*cries*

It's one thing seeing cars at shows that you had as an old banger when you were a teenager, what makes me feel really old is when something I had as a company car is sitting in a field with a a showboard of resto pics and rosettes and a giffer with a deckchair proudly looking on.

It's one thing seeing cars at shows that you had as an old banger when you were a teenager, what makes me feel really old is when something I had as a company car is sitting in a field with a a showboard of resto pics and rosettes and a giffer with a deckchair proudly looking on.

I got a rosette for my car at a car show once, the proper giffer-with-deckchair kind of place.

My car was a four year old X1/9 Gran Finale.

Oh god. One day there will be an Insignia at a car show, won't there...