American cars a love/hate thing.

Uncle Jimmy

Pretty much anything pre 1987...

Meh. I'm repeating myself.

In the olden days I was a Exner Forward Look disciple and ended up with eleven 1957 - 1963 Imperials, which are undoubtedly the finest expressions of the theme.

Nowadays I'm more into the mid-to-late Seventies "What would Liberace do?" school of design and I believe that FoMoCo had it spot on in that period.

Look at 1977-79 Thunderbirds and you'll know what I mean. Or any 1973-79 LTD and corresponding Mercury. Then there are the Lincolns. The 1975-79

Continentals are the largest mass produced cars ever built, so you can't really die before you had one of them.

I only dabble in the world of American cars in the 1:32 scale world for Scalextric tracks, but this is my intro for the Lincoln Continental I made.

1972 Lincoln Continental Mk IV

This car is so classy it’s got Roman numerals in its name.

Nowadays, pimps have no imagination; they drive a black 4×4 with huge chrome wheels and tinted windows. The more adventurous will have a floor length, white fur coat and some ostentatious jewellery, but where’s the flair? And where are the flares?

Back in the ’70s, superfly guy was rollin’ low in a 2 door Lincoln with hidden headlights, a trunk lid shaped around the spare tire and opera windows in the B pillar.

Pimps and hoods meet up to discuss the numbers racket.

Lincoln_Cadillac.jpg

A lot of Yank stuff has underwhelmed me over the years. Spiritually I should be driving Fifties fin-tail of some kind but when they were cheap to buy I could not afford to run them and now they have become way out of my price range to begin with. I had a tuned Zephyr 6 that seemed to go as well as most of the contemporary Yank stuff I tried. Forget any cubic-inch related power expectations - Ten times the power output of an Austin A40 does not deliver 10 times the measurable performance. Yanks to me are all about latent power and effortless driving - whether kerbside pace or highway cruising speed. Judged on those levels I think Junkman's previous mentions of the 1977-1990 era Chevy Caprice (and derivatives) would be where I would look for a Yank to use today. Stuff after that which just happens to be "American" have provided me with some of the crappiest drives I can remember....

I'm so completely with Junkman and Mercrocker here.  It can't have escaped anyone's notice that I've terminally fallen-out with the 1993 Mercury I bought last year.  Despite being FWD, it's actually very nice to drive, as were the other FWD Yanks I've owned, but there is still something lacking compared to the older, RWD, body-on-frame models.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where I belong.  I've been there before enough times, and will again when the money allows, as long as they don't all shoot up out of reach.  It's a dangerous game of brinkmanship...

post-4559-0-66981800-1428914073_thumb.jpg

(Gratuitous snap of my first Cadillac, just because!)

I'm happy enough with 6 pots, although obviously 8 is better, but more important is age.  1993 is much too young.  1999, the year of my infamous Blazer, was an even bigger mistake, so at least I'm going in the right direction.  I managed a fins-era car before we went to Cyprus:

post-4559-0-74678900-1428914276_thumb.jpg

(My second Cadillac)

...and I don't suppose I'll ever have another, but at least I can say I did it.  I love them.

My mate owns a body and paint shop, and along side the classic cars he gets given to repair and repaint, he has a steady trade prepping and painting hotrods. These are in the main 1930's & 1940's 3 and 5 window Fords and pick ups, with original steel bodies.

He tells me that he can still buy chrome trim strips and other parts for 1940's stuff very easily, where the same things for European cars are unobtainable. New V8 engines with fuel injection and gearboxes are easy to fit making them reliable and (relatively) fuel efficient without losing the fantastic sound that only a V8 makes.

Just a shame they are out of my price range now.

post-19526-0-69020400-1428914807_thumb.jpg

The other thing worth mentioning in connection with the above point regarding parts is that they seem to be very good quality. Some of the rubber trim and chrome parts I have seen for mates cars (60s Mustang, 40s Chevy pickups, T-Birds etc) has me frothing with envy and rage when I compare the shit we get sold for BMC cars of the era.

Much as I know I never will buy one in reality, I have always had much love for short-bed pick-ups, esp those from the 60's & 70's such as F100-150's & Chevy LUV's, sorted mechanically but with rather faded paint ideally. For instance, if you've ever seen the first series of 'Fast & Loud' - their "Shop Truck" Ford was my idea of an ideal pickup that I'd want to own.

They are just small enough to be usable on UK roads but look way better than any other p/up I can think of. Plus as someone's already mentioned, they seem to be quite easy to get parts for despite age.

As I say, as much as I think in my head I'm going to get one one someday, realistically it's not going to happen for me.

I'm so completely with Junkman and Mercrocker here.  It can't have escaped anyone's notice that I've terminally fallen-out with the 1993 Mercury I bought last year.  Despite being FWD, it's actually very nice to drive, as were the other FWD Yanks I've owned, but there is still something lacking compared to the older, RWD, body-on-frame models.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where I belong.  I've been there before enough times, and will again when the money allows, as long as they don't all shoot up out of reach.  It's a dangerous game of brinkmanship...

attachicon.gifGreyCadillac-vi.jpg

Maybe my expectations were low but I was surprised how decent this 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe that Mrs cylinder insisted we bought is, but you are right a Jaguar X300 is a much better car.

IMG_5327%20broad_zpsjmrffpug.jpg

Six-cylinder has a point. Those 90s Sevilles and Eldorados are darn good cars with nice V8 beat and real yankesque feel.

And if you are on a real shoestring budget, do not dismiss those 1986-1991 GM B-body 3.8 litre FWD barges.

If you can get past the girl wheel drive and nursing home looks, they are darn good cars with gleefully disco-age interiors.

Much as I know I never will buy one in reality, I have always had much love for short-bed pick-ups, esp those from the 60's & 70's such as F100-150's & Chevy LUV's, sorted mechanically but with rather faded paint ideally. For instance, if you've ever seen the first series of 'Fast & Loud' - their "Shop Truck" Ford was my idea of an ideal pickup that I'd want to own.

They are just small enough to be usable on UK roads but look way better than any other p/up I can think of. Plus as someone's already mentioned, they seem to be quite easy to get parts for despite age.

As I say, as much as I think in my head I'm going to get one one someday, realistically it's not going to happen for me.

You could expect to pick up a late '60s Chevy C10/20 short bed for under 5k on the road. That would be a straight 6 motor & manual, which work extremely well in that format.

Me, I'm all chrome and fins at the moment, can't link it because I'm on my mongphone but have a look at my garage entry mate

I´ve always liked yank-cars, but I wasnt brave enough to buy one. 

I am watching this american car dealer for years now:

http://www.automobile-riekmann.at/verkauf/verkauf_u.htm

but my problem is -> I like the unloved ones. I would love a Plymouth Reliant in Dark-red with beige interieur or a Buick Park Avenue in the same colour. 

Sadly, there are almost only convertibles or sports-cars available on the Austrian US-car-market. 

I absolutely love em! Always have, mainly from watching too much old TV shows!

For me it's the big sedans and station wagons of the late 60's and early 70's that really does it for me, although I really like all of them! I love the styling and sheer presence of them. They just look so good. Plus you get some utterly fantastic engines! I'm not really bothered about power and speed, there's just something great about the old yank V8's and their sweet sounding burble, there's nothing that can match it from europeland or japland.

It's surprising how easy they are to drive aswell, incredibly comfortable, light easy steering, soft suspension, lovely!

I think when it comes to yank cars you either get them or you don't. Some people find them ridiculously big and tasteless styling. I think these people are seriously disturbed and totally missing out! But that's just me.

I'm sure everyone's seen my Mercury already but, since were here.

098-XL_zps667ac54d.jpg

And at home here in the UK on my drive.

2014-09-13113012_zps6c2f65fc.jpg

These are the full size monsters that were finished off by the gas crisis in the 70's. Mine is essentially the same as a Lincoln continental but slightly lower spec being a Mercury.

I've still got a few European cars and love them too, but there's something really special about the Mercury that nothing else can come close to.

It's huge and you really know it when your driving it! Too big for the op's garage I'd imagine but I'd recommend anyone to get one. Parts seem easy, even from the US, I've had very little problem. Insurance is cheap, tax is free! One of those automotive experiences everyone should try!

I would love a proper muscle car like a 70 Buick GSX but in the real world I'm enjoying the disco era monster I have now.  

Don't get me wrong though most American cars of the 80s and 90s are horrible with the exception of the big barges which still have a bit of the proper American feel.   Maybe some of them are so bad they fall in to the shite category but there are much better cars from Yurp for that.

I have a pretty broad taste, but mainly anything full size, body on frame with RWD. I'm very much with Junkman, very little appeals to me from the late '80s onwards. Except crown vics and bubble shape caprices, obviously.