Dave's shonkers - one in

Dave_Q

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

They must be rare in that spec, I imagine it cost a few quid too - but the person that bought it clearly intended to use it given the mileage. 

There is an invoice from the guy I got it from buying it for £20k at 9 months old in 2019. New who knows, close to £30k? I wonder if it might have been a demonstrator or something as being sold at 9months old is a bit unusual?

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

WINNER!!!111!!!

I take it from the photo you can get 134 miles for £11.61, and it is cheaper to charge from home as I'm guessing those charging stations cost more?

The charge was + vat so £13.something and I reckon it got me around 100-110 extra miles as it wasn't quite empty.
Quite dependent on driving style though, I reckon you could get that down to 70-80 miles if you drove aggressively. 
When I got home having covered about 70 miles it was claiming 43% and 61 miles left but this dropped to 55 miles when my wife got in it 10min later?

IMG_20230126_141450.thumb.jpg.9d6681724295fce072a7e8f770525db7.jpg

The charge point was 48p/kWh, some (eg motorway services) go up to 70p/kWh but this was outside a community centre on a scabby council estate v.close to J26 M1.
Our home electric is currently 28p/unit so I reckon it'll be about 7-9p a mile depending what economy it gets on the school run. 

There are special EV tariffs that can give you a cheap overnight charging rate as low as 10p but I am on a below-cap fix till September so won't change anything yet. 

Overall the car seems great but the lack of DC/rapid charging means its less suited to long journeys than some of the newer stuff. 

For what we will use it for it seems ideal, her current car probably only goes further than 15 miles from base about 5 times a year so the lack of fast public charging is less of an issue.

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

That is pretty interesting, I didn’t realise the 43kW thing was such a red herring. 

This is the video I saw, the laddo measured stuff and worked out that he only got 43kW from like 15-45% then it dropped right off. 

We definitely didn't buy it for the rapid* charging ability, would have got either R or Q if we found one we liked.

Just now, loserone said:

Rapid charging is all well and good but for the average shitist use case home charging is all that really makes sense.  If they had five seats I'd be buying one myself.  A LEAF is just a bit too low a range.

It does have 5 seats with 3x 3-point belts in the back. Weirdly seems wider across the back and better for getting 3 in than the Captur it's replacing.

2 hours ago, Spurious said:

That looks ace. 

Nice spec, seats look comfy and it must have electric seat warmers at that spec. 

Nice to have an old skool handbrake, my Mégane has one too, I was well surprised, maybe the automagic handbrake is starting to fall out of vogue. 

Missed replying to this one, yes it does have bottom warmers for the ultimate in toasty cheek decadence

11 minutes ago, loserone said:

Wait, what? Pics please.

Ya fucker, I'm going to need to buy a charger.

Here you go, there is a 3-point belt tucked up on the C-pillar there. 

IMG_20230126_153007.thumb.jpg.aa75389a8f834d02ec3db0ce77380495.jpg

I'd say it's pretty close to a 33/33/33 split as well, maybe like 35/30/35. I reckon you'd get a booster in the middle. 

IMG_20230126_153043.thumb.jpg.e479eddcb88754bc35110b0037352193.jpg

This one is newly listed, it's battery lease but that's only £59 a month if your mileage is fairly low. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202301253581326

This one was next on our list if the one we got didn't work out: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314313688724

I was also a bit tempted by this one, kinda depends how much wings and lights cost and how much shenanigan to replace the airbag. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225367823694

I too remember the Before Times.

Yes it's a fair bit but the inflated price also applies to the outgoing car which offsets it a bit.

Those ones I linked are about as good as it gets for a ZE40 at the moment.

There are also people out there trying to get 10 grand for 22kWh ones and seemingly a lot of dealers who don't know what they've got and list 22s as 40s, battery leased as owned, etc etc.

@Dave_Q - it's interesting to see how much it costs per mile in pence, I get lost in the kWh/$/regen/!/tariff sums online sometimes. It's costing you roughly the same in fuel as a 50MPG petrol/diesel would, then, right? If that's the case, and assuming you didn't get it for London/ULEZ fare-dodging reasons, and it's no more economical to fuel up than an ICE, did you get it for environmental reasons (ie; no tailpipe emissions), or something else? Just curious about the buying rationale and the 'real world' maths applied. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

@Dave_Q - it's interesting to see how much it costs per mile in pence, I get lost in the kWh/$/regen/!/tariff sums online sometimes. It's costing you roughly the same in fuel as a 50MPG petrol/diesel would, then, right? If that's the case, and assuming you didn't get it for London/ULEZ fare-dodging reasons, and it's no more economical to fuel up than an ICE, did you get it for environmental reasons (ie; no tailpipe emissions), or something else? Just curious about the buying rationale and the 'real world' maths applied. Thanks.

50mpg petrol is 13p/mile, diesel 15p - a home charged EV, particularly a reasonably sensible one like a Zoe should be half that on pretty much any tariff. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

There is an invoice from the guy I got it from buying it for £20k at 9 months old in 2019. New who knows, close to £30k? I wonder if it might have been a demonstrator or something as being sold at 9months old is a bit unusual?

The charge was + vat so £13.something and I reckon it got me around 100-110 extra miles as it wasn't quite empty.
Quite dependent on driving style though, I reckon you could get that down to 70-80 miles if you drove aggressively. 
When I got home having covered about 70 miles it was claiming 43% and 61 miles left but this dropped to 55 miles when my wife got in it 10min later?

The charge point was 48p/kWh, some (eg motorway services) go up to 70p/kWh but this was outside a community centre on a scabby council estate v.close to J26 M1.
Our home electric is currently 28p/unit so I reckon it'll be about 7-9p a mile depending what economy it gets on the school run. 

There are special EV tariffs that can give you a cheap overnight charging rate as low as 10p but I am on a below-cap fix till September so won't change anything yet. 

Overall the car seems great but the lack of DC/rapid charging means its less suited to long journeys than some of the newer stuff. 

For what we will use it for it seems ideal, her current car probably only goes further than 15 miles from base about 5 times a year so the lack of fast public charging is less of an issue.

This is the video I saw, the laddo measured stuff and worked out that he only got 43kW from like 15-45% then it dropped right off. 

We definitely didn't buy it for the rapid* charging ability, would have got either R or Q if we found one we liked.

That's (some of what) makes me laugh with the frothing EV brigade who talk about the miles between charges. fair enough if you're doing shit loads of miles a day or whatever, but just for surely most people's commute/daily use they're great.

I think (maths are a bad point) that you'd have to get 65mpg out of a diesel to meet 10p per mile, which must be quite improbable for most vehicles, so your home charging costs make it even more worthwhile. For congestion zone charging areas it makes it even more sense, I guess.

I don't see a 50mpg diesel as a valid comparison.

This car's typical use is just under 2 miles each way for school, down and then up a big hill. Twice a day. Then most days a 5 mile each way trip to the next town over, up and down a big hill, 40 limit.

Your diesel isn't doing 50mpg in those conditions and if it's a modern is at risk of DPF etc issues.

The car it's replacing is a 0.9tce Captur which has a book mpg of 52 or something. On this use cycle the OBC (which never ever gets reset) reports a long term average of 33mpg. I make that to be 19p a mile at current petrol rates so we are saving 50% on fuel immediately. More like 75% if we switch to a 10p charging EV tariff later.

So it is saving money, and I don't think a diesel would do anything like 50mpg over the same useage.

We wouldn't want to use a diesel for the school run any more than you would want to use this to do Manchester to Glasgow every day. I wouldn't say the tailpipe emissions aspect is a big factor but I would say "fuck you in the ear buddy" to all the people who sit there waiting outside school with their engines running chucking out acrid euro 6 diesel fumes.

Horses for courses innit.

Sounds like a pretty much perfect vehicle for the job.  

My old VW Caddy is pretty economical in real world terms - but even that's costing around £0.18/mile these days just bumbling around locally.  If that's what you're spending most of the miles doing an EV makes a lot of sense.  

I reckon that probably somewhere in the next five years we will likely be looking at an EV as the main daily driver.  Prices and other priorities just prohibit it making its way to the top of the to do list yet.

It's a shame in a way that the used car market has gone up so much because in my eyes, an early Leaf or Zoe should be like £1500-3000 considering the limited range and battery risk. 

If they were I think more people would consider them, even if only as a second car for local driving.

I'm not an evangelist or in any way suggesting that everyone should use an EV for everything, we will still go in my clag chucking van if we're going somewhere far away because it's the best thing we currently have for the application.

7 hours ago, loserone said:

Rapid charging is all well and good but for the average shitist use case home charging is all that really makes sense.  If they had five seats I'd be buying one myself.  A LEAF is just a bit too low a range.

I've got a 2022 leaf, with the 63kw battery. 220 miles on a full charge - fits three across the back and when we tried the Zoe it was narrower than the leaf.  My kids declared much less room in the Zoe compared to the leaf. However, to get the range you need the big battery leaf.

21 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

I don't see a 50mpg diesel as a valid comparison.

This car's typical use is just under 2 miles each way for school, down and then up a big hill. Twice a day. Then most days a 5 mile each way trip to the next town over, up and down a big hill, 40 limit.

Your diesel isn't doing 50mpg in those conditions and if it's a modern is at risk of DPF etc issues.

The car it's replacing is a 0.9tce Captur which has a book mpg of 52 or something. On this use cycle the OBC (which never ever gets reset) reports a long term average of 33mpg. I make that to be 19p a mile at current petrol rates so we are saving 50% on fuel immediately. More like 75% if we switch to a 10p charging EV tariff later.

So it is saving money, and I don't think a diesel would do anything like 50mpg over the same useage.

We wouldn't want to use a diesel for the school run any more than you would want to use this to do Manchester to Glasgow every day. I wouldn't say the tailpipe emissions aspect is a big factor but I would say "fuck you in the ear buddy" to all the people who sit there waiting outside school with their engines running chucking out acrid euro 6 diesel fumes.

Horses for courses innit.

Soz, wasn't trying to justify diesel against electric, the reverse really.  Having a modern diesel to do very low miles is absolute insanity.

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Soz, wasn't trying to justify diesel against electric, the reverse really.  Having a modern diesel to do very low miles is absolute insanity.

No worries chief, I was replying to @motorpunk who was enquiring as to fuel costs vs a diesel, should have put a quote in. 

I concur with @Kiltox figures that a 50mpg diesel is circa 15p a mile at the minute and the Zoe will be around half that on our current electric rate. 

I would also add that living in a fairly hilly area I've never got much more than 35-40mpg from various diesels over the years on local runs, which tilts it further in favour of the electric.

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - normal shonk service resumed

To add to that in fact, I have been mostly driving the Audi myself, it's not a 50mpg car but maybe 45 on paper, I get 33mpg running the children around. 

I'm blowing a bit hot and cold with the car, I really quite fancy selling it and getting an identical petrol version but its hard to find one as clean and in the same colour and a manual gearbox (as all Audi autos of this age are grenades)

I've done a few bits to it, changed the fuel filter, fitted a cam sensor and set the timing and put on a 185hp*** remap.

It had a fault for the cam sensor being intermittent which has now cleared.
The timing is done via VCDS. The cam pulley is floating and if the correct locking tools aren't used the cam to crank sync can be off. 

PD_TIMING.JPG.dfd5031b7fda4952be9cec9fca50400b.JPG

It's the Synchro angle in this stolen screenshot. Spec is -3 to +3, mine was -3.9degrees so quite retarded.

You just loosen the 3 small bolts and nudge the crank round till you get it right. 

IMG_20230121_110034.thumb.jpg.c1295d30ce4da7fa79977d76d8654737.jpg

As with most things TDI related there are Americans trying out different values as "tuning" FFS but I got it to 0.5deg first time so just left it at that. 

It starts much better and seems to drive smoother, especially below 1500rpm.

I also have these wheels to go on which I just managed to get some tyres fitted to after a right chew on waiting over 2 weeks for an ebay outfit to send them.

IMG_20230109_115048.thumb.jpg.00324d75adfb8b6d6524b124bc791787.jpg

And tonight it blotted its copy book slightly by putting the DPF light on and I had to drive up and down the M62 in 4th in the name of the environment. 

I think it might be due a new DPF or a cleanout as after regen it still reports a fair few grams of soot which could be ash? Or they're easy enough to knock out. 

TBH if I can find a nice petrol one that might be a decision for the next owner. If it saw a motorway once or twice a month I doubt it would ever be an issue but I haven't been far in it since before xmas.

• Dave_Q changed the title to Dave's shonkers - live trainposting

Never really noticed before but Huddersfield train station looks a bit like the courthouse from back to the future if you can get past the statue of Harold Wilson.

IMG_20230207_050145.thumb.jpg.d741f3ec245a292444b68c8dcdfb35d2.jpg

Train achieved. 

IMG_20230207_050401.thumb.jpg.7c9d6765e1dde5d376b7823bd0db205b.jpg

I'm not sure how this one is running when most of the others to Leeds are on replacement buses but I'm not complaining.

Screenshot_2023-02-07-05-05-22-570_com.adobe.reader.thumb.jpg.0cd18a101d5c46be4abfb22578c218e8.jpg

Looks like the only way to Leeds is through Morley unless you take some sorta funky long route through Bradford or Wakey.

They're extending the platforms at Morley this week so the Leeds-Hud lines closed and on diversion to Wakey. 

Liverpool through services got swapped to Manchester Victoria a while ago as it's better for operations, to get into Piccadilly P13 from the Huddersfield line is a massive move that causes a lot of delays as you have to get across every single line coming out of Piccadilly. 

Nobody came forward to collect for you then Dave?