Dave's shonkers - one in

Dave_Q

Yeah I know, still it's better to find out now than when I try to start it up.

I will just have to do the mains on the other one, parts aren't expensive although I haven't got a suitable puller for the flywheel. 

You haven't got one by any chance? I think the flywheel thread is M26x1.

You're this far in.. may as well port the cases..

You're not wrong, however I have recently been thinking more along the lines of:

If it was me I would hit eBay for the £33 option and some Monster energy drink stickers, and sell while running for PROFIT.

I reckon running with a fresh test some 16 year old will be gagging to give me £500ono for it, with that much money I could just go and buy a bike more befitting of my weight and full A licence.

post-17573-0-26245500-1513112917_thumb.jpg

This one is now sold but 500 boys should get me a CB500 or similar, insurance would only be £60 more than the Gilera (£223 vs £159 fully comp) yet it would have the capability to do 60mph, or more, without modification, and minimal chance of grenadage, win all round I reckon.

Had an hour stripping down the 2 rank ped engines, I haven't got a flywheel puller yet so I stripped the variator sides on both of them.

Pros:
Gearboxes seem to be OK on both and there is one set of good variator parts between the 2.

Cons:

On the one with the non-bent crank, the end of the crank sheared off with the nut when trying to undo it. The spline was damaged where the outer plate of the variator sits, so had it not sheared off it wouldn't have been usable anyway.

I've got a second hand one on the way.

I found one on ebay for £15 including postage, think it had only been listed a few mins so I grabbed it while it was there.

Top purchase! All the ones I saw were about £40, making the new ones look VALUE.

Sometimes you just get lucky, I just scored a NOS exhaust for the Caren for £20 delivered, right at the point where you become resigned to paying fifty pund for a rusty 2nd hand job.

Minor progress tonight.

Got the cases split and the crank out.

Here is the leaky main seal confirming my ghetto inner tube test diagnosis.

post-17573-0-96966400-1513634536_thumb.jpg

post-17573-0-61174000-1513634548_thumb.jpg

I am picking up a heat gun tomorrow to install the mains, so I sorted out a couple of snapped off bolts on the generator cover.

Filed the snapped bolt flatish and centre punched.

post-17573-0-00424500-1513634565_thumb.jpg

Drilled it out.

post-17573-0-00000800-1513634581_thumb.jpg

The new hole came out a bit off centre, but I managed to tap it OK.

post-17573-0-22679500-1513634597_thumb.jpg

With some minor "clearancing" to the hole on the plastic cover, this will go together nicely.

Suzi GS500 are a good bike, or even a Kwakka GPZ 500 twin can be had for lot a lot, and ride like a 2 stroke..ie full throttle !!!

Thanks, yeah the GPZ is well on my radar, although a manky ZZR600 is also looking like an option as TPFT insurance isn't bad on those (£189). 

Realistically a 500 twin should be all the performance one needs, it should still do 0-60 way faster than most cars (4-5 seconds?) but you know, more is more right?

I do have a GENERIC XOR125 lurking in Mothers Garage 2008 .. little bit sorry looking but low miles (kms??) comes with full V5 in my name and a new battery - unfitted ..

offers around £70 will be grabbed :D Kollecshun only I'm afraid tho, from deepest darkest Yam Yam land..between Brum and Telford

(or 5 mins from HK and Merry Hell centre)

Similar to pic, but with added dirt n cobwebs and less Niceness

$_86.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress on this but the engine is finally ready to go back in. 

Malossi YO air filter. Cheaper than standard and still a big improvement on the cone filter that was on it.

post-17573-0-17446500-1515880618_thumb.jpg

post-17573-0-66409500-1515880635_thumb.jpg

post-17573-0-28022400-1515880650_thumb.jpg

It took a couple of goes to get the mains seated properly, the first time it was really stiff turning over as one wasn't quite pressed all the way in.

I actually built it all the way back up before deciding to go back and fix it properly, so I ended up needing a second top end gasket set but they're only cheap. 

The thing better run OK now or it will be off to ebay SPURS O RAEPERS as I don't think I've got the will to strip it down again.

The first time I put the bearings in the cases, then the (frozen) crank in after heating up the inner races.

It seemed to go together nicely but when I eventually took it out again one of the bearings wasn't quite on the crank fully. 

Probably less than 1mm out but clearly enough to cause a problem. 

I managed to get it out with the bearings on the crank by heating the cases from the outside.

The second time I RTFM which said to put the bearings on first then the whole assembly in.

Still wasn't quite right at first, but I then noticed there are actually little windows in the transfers so you can see if the bearings are seated properly, as highlighted in this here picture stolen off of the internet.

post-17573-0-21648600-1515883616_thumb.png

Through this I saw that the variator side still wasn't quite all the way in, so I went for the scientific method of heating up the cases, picking the whole thing up by the crank and twatting the case with a hammer till it seated properly. 

Overall the whole thing was a fair old faff, but I'm relatively confident it will work.

Hopefully I can grab an hour tomorrow to try and put it in the bike and see.

Sorry shit moped fans, you'll have to bate that breath a while longer.

A combination of child activities and weather means it's not back in yet. 

Here's a boring indoor update. 

I ended up with 2 exhausts for this, an Arrow and and a Leo Vince. 

I want to use the Leo Vince for maximum performance and ped cred, but it looks like it's been subject to a precision* paint job in the past.

post-17573-0-77273000-1516224056_thumb.jpg

5 mins with some thinners and a cloth later:

post-17573-0-15933300-1516224070_thumb.jpg

In a world where I cared more I might try and derust the expansion chamber and paint it or something, but this is not that world so I left it there and went for a sit down.

Progress today, sorry no start up video as I got it all fitted, pressed the button and found the battery was flat. 

post-17573-0-73233500-1516482745_thumb.jpg

Had a hitch with the exhausts, tried to fit the Leo Vince but it would't go. It seems to be longer.

post-17573-0-45056400-1516482725_thumb.jpg

Bit odd as most places list all Piaggio/Gilera 50s as fitting the same exhaust, that one is off an NRG and it's clearly a bit longer. Never mind, it should fetch a few quid on ebay.

Battery on charge, startup hopefully tomorrow depending on weather and battery.

Yes it has one but they're super shit, it engages with a plastic toothed thing on the variator and on this one it just makes a bad noise and slips.

Also, it will need a fair amount of cranking to draw the fuel up, the tank is low down by your feet and it has a vac/pressure powered pump to bring it up to the carb.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no start for this flipping moped.

Have had a few goes but not firing, definitely got a good spark as tested it, but it won't run even on brake cleaner.

I did think I might have cracked it when I noticed that the brake cleaner spray was pulsing back out of the inlet leading me to suspect the reeds.

Rubbish picture but you shouldn't be able to see light there.

post-17573-0-45261200-1517777101_thumb.jpg

I adjusted them and got them to look like they're sealing but it still won't run. 

It could probably do with new reeds but I reckon they're not the problem, I reckon I've done something fundamental wrong in the assembly and the cases still aren't sealed right.