Citroën suspension question

wuvvum

Went to start the DS today as the buyer was coming to collect it. It started OK but then conked out and wouldn't restart (think it was probably damp). Cranked it over and over on the starter and couldn't get it going again - not going to be anything major, but more worrying was the fact that the suspension wasn't coming up. Checked the LHM tank and it was empty, so bunged a litre in, but it still didn't seem to be doing a great deal. Fair enough it always takes a while to pump itself up on the starter motor as the hydraulic pump is not turning very fast, but my question is this: If you run a Citroën hydraulic system very low on fluid, does it need bleeding before it'll start behaving properly again or is the pressure of the hydraulic pump enough to compress/get rid of any air in the system and allow the suspension to pump up? I've looked up various guides on the net, and none of them has said anything about having to bleed the system after draining and refilling it, but I'm not sure. Strictly speaking it's not my problem any more as the car is sold, and to be honest the chap could break the car for more than what he paid me for it, but I did say in the listing that the suspension was working OK (it was last time I tried it) and I'd feel a bit bad if it's going to be a lot of hassle to get working again.

I've no experience of DSs, but I'm pretty sure that SWMBO's BX used to bleed itself - don't remember having to do anything special on the occasions when it spat out all its LHM. (ETA: Thinking about it, the engine needed running at about 2000 revs for about a minute before it would pump up again)You'll probably need to put a lot more than a litre in the system before anything happens, though - and given that it's pricey stuff I'd suggest investigating where the last lot went!

Yep -I think you need the engine running. My Bx 4*4 needs at least 15 -20 seconds at 1500 revs before it would move at all. Up to a minute if it had been left more than a week. as its now sat a year -I reckon 2-3 mins at a fast tickover....I very much doubt it would pump up on the starter motor.That might well cause a prob getting it onto a trailer too....

Well we got it onto the trailer OK - it was a tilt bed and we drove it up on the starter. He might have fun getting it off the other end though if he can't get the suspension up - I have a feeling the towbar's going to dig in. He might have to drag it off on a rope behind another car. I seem to remember when it wouldn't start before it began to pump itself up on the suspension after about four minutes of cranking, but obviously if the LHM has got low it'll probably take even longer. I just wanted to make sure that it would eventually sort itself out without the seller having to bugger about with bleeding the system...

Only 1 litre? Bet you need about 4!Self bleeding (usually) - raise suspension to max, leave 30 seconds, lower to minimum - leave 30 seconds - repeat 3 or 4 times. If the whole system is emplty it may need the pump priming with fresh blood before hand.PAS - turn lock to lock several timesBrakes - switch on, loosen bleed nipple on calliper SLIGHTLY, wait till green blood emerges and no air (top up LHM tank as needed) Remember - system is under a LOT of pressure so have a cloth ready, dont put your face in the way.Spheres may well be shagged but plenty of places can supply.Will take about 30 seconds to rise from the dead.

Yes. Much.But we'd better stop before we get told off for being silly. [No laughing at the back there - what are you sniggering about?] Then we'll have to share the joke with the class, and we'll deffo get detention. Your mum will come and see my mum and I'll get a double bollocking for "starting it" with the vicar comment, and getting you caught up in all of this tomfoolery.