Chrysler pulls out of UK

Madman Of The People

How many times have the yanks tried to sell their automotive feces to us and pulled out? Who else recons the Mustang they're bringing to us will flop?

A neighbour across the road from me had a Ypsilon that they kept for less than a year and a PT Cruiser on which the alarm throws a hissy fit when cars charge past... sometimes.

300C-ee ya.

The Lancias (which is all they are/were) were never going to sell over here, and you never see 300Cs or Voyagers any more, they're just a low quality bloated Yank and a minivan - and minivans have been usurped by crossovers, so nobody wants them. Surprised they didn't just give up when they dropped Dodge over here.

. They were always a bit shit. The Chrysler UK site has a total of 40 used cars on it in the whole country, and most of them are Ypsilons. But Jeep are still going - puzzling, nobody buys those either.

Modern day Talbot???

Its wierd but whenever I go abroad and see the Ypsilon or Delta parked in some foreign place I quite like the look of them. But when I see the Chrysler version parked in a dreary urban car park or outside Lidl I always think they look thunderingly shit.

Must be the sunlight affecting my head or something.

save the odd 300c or sebring thing that i sometime see on the road, i'd have thought that chrysler had given up years ago.

those dodge things that weren't a challenger or charger though were terrible. when they were launched there was a couple on display in a local shopping centre. when asked what i thought of this car, a dodge kalibre (i think, it was a kinda boxy saloon) i laughed and said "not much..."

and that i would not complain about the hated ford focus again.......

The Dodge things were pretty bad, the Avenger was a low-rent sub Korean box, the Caliber a strange looking beast and the Nitro just indescribably awful.

The first gen 300 was successful enough when launched but I haven't seen a new one for yonks. I think it has been mildy restyled and sold as a 'new' model but it's still based on a 1990s Mercedes platform.

Jeep may go the same way eventually judging by the price and styling of the latest Cherokee.

Re Lancia, I think a brand relaunch in the UK was planned with the Delta in 2008, but the credit crunch meant those plans got shelved. A year or too later Fiat had agreed to buy Chrysler so the Lancias were quickly rebadged Talbot style.

Fiat have enough problems with trying to make a go of Alfa, so it makes sense to concentrate resources on that.

Eventually they will have to update/replace the 500, they can't make it for 20 years unchanged like last time. I bet they are shitting themselves 'cos a wrong turn on that could finish them.

Its wierd but whenever I go abroad and see the Ypsilon or Delta parked in some foreign place I quite like the look of them. But when I see the Chrysler version parked in a dreary urban car park or outside Lidl I always think they look thunderingly shit.

Must be the sunlight affecting my head or something.

These holidays.... Are they unlimited local booze all-inclusive non-stop-drinking jobs?

The Chrysler brand isn't even doing all that well in America.  Their model range consists of a grand total of three cars.

1.  The Chrysler 200, a front-drive saloon that replaced the unloved Sebring.  This is a car nobody buys, with the notable exception of rental fleets.  Looks decent enough but the Ford Fusion (AKA new Mondeo) trounces it in every regard.

2.  The Chrysler 300, a big, rear-drive saloon that's still providing more bling for your buck.  It's the car of choice for pensioners who are turned off by Cadillac's new techy-modern styling direction and pimps who can't afford an Escalade.  Recent facelift looks awful.

3.  The Chrysler Town & Country, known as the Grand Voyager to you lot.  A big bus (twinned with the Dodge Grand Caravan) that's still holding its own against the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey in North America despite a whole new raft of crossover vehicles decimating big MPV sales.  Ford and GM have totally abandoned this segment and the slow-selling Nissan Quest is barely hanging on.

And that's it.  Dodge get the Charger and Challenger performance heros plus the lacklustre Dart small saloon, the big Durango SUV and the aforementioned Grand Caravan.  Ram (now spun-off from Dodge) gets the gigantic pickups and rebadged Fiat cargo vans.  Throw in the Jeep range plus the Fiat 500, 500L and upcoming 500X under the same roof and you have a very confused looking showroom.  Makes me glad I'm not a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Fiat salesman!

*ahem*

My name is Laser Wheels and I like Chryslers.

Started with the '90s Neon. This one.

post-17634-0-13412700-1426719652_thumb.jpg

I've always thought it a funky little thing especially with that cheeky power bulge. Can never say no to a power bulge. Then in the late '90s old man Laser Wheels bought one of these. Identical to this one.

post-17634-0-56737700-1426719888_thumb.jpg

In my opinion a damn sight better looking than the booted Focus which must surely be one of the most awkwardly styled cars of the noughties.

I seem to recall it cost him around £11k for a 2.0 132hp fully loaded so air con, CD player, leccy windows etc. That SOHC motor may have been a bit crude but he chopped in his nearly new Honda Accord Sport with it's fancy VTEC (2.2?) because after a number of years in a BX GT and a GTi and a Maestro Turbo he found the Honda to be a crushing bore. He didn't find the Neon boring at all and he kept it for over a decade. In that time all he needed to replace was the factory exhaust which gave up the ghost after a mere 10 years.

Then of course there was the RT. Which I would. Repeatedly.

post-17634-0-00699800-1426720433_thumb.jpg

'Ah, but what about the PT Cruiser!' I here you all cry. Well I like that, too!

Once again Mr Wheels Snr. has one so I've spent quite a lot of time with and in one and I have grown to like it. It's well equipped and - yes! - well made, too, with a damn site less squeaks and rattles than any Ford I've ever owned. And whats more it happily doubles as a small van when needs be. :)

For me Chrysler offered honest unpretentious motoring no different to Dacia or Kia (of old, at least). They were shite. And I salute them for it.

And I for one will miss them.

So you can all just fuck off, okay? ;-)